Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

View Poll Results: Do I actually need a dictionary on my reader?
Yes, I need a dictionary on my reader 143 53.96%
No, I do not need a dictionary on my reader 122 46.04%
Voters: 265. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-20-2009, 06:28 AM   #1
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Do you actually NEED a dictionary on your reader?

The word want has been removed because this is about need and not want. So do you actually need a dictionary on your reader? Just wanting one is a no. You have to actually need one to vote yes.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 06:47 AM   #2
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
And how strong must a need be to vote yes?

Surely, we've lived tens of years without dictionaries in our readers, so we don't really need them...
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-20-2009, 06:58 AM   #3
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
I probably not have used an English dictionary at all since I was a small child, whether in print or otherwise

Otoh I have often wished that those reading devices I have owned which supported dictionaries where a little more generous about which languages they would permit. The eBookwise had a one-click lookup but it only worked with the Oxford English Dictionary. I would have loved to be able to put a French dictionary on there. I still do need help sometimes when reading in that language, and I think my fluency would improve a lot if I read more in French---which I don't, because I am so slow at it
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 07:23 AM   #4
PieOPah
Addict
PieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony PRS-505
And just in case you are unsure exactly what it stands for - http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/need
PieOPah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 07:24 AM   #5
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
yes, I need it.

There are still lots of words that are missing from my vocabulary. Before I used an ereader, I had to look those words up in a dictionary. Now, I can just use my internal dictionary.

I should install a translating dictionary once, just to see how that works
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-20-2009, 07:49 AM   #6
Andybaby
Wizard
Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-700
I havent used a dictionary in years except for one word, "started" for example, jim started when I told him I saw him with my wife. and it was exactly what I thought it ment of course, its just not a defination I ever knew for certain as a child, its not hard to figure out what a word means.
Andybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 07:56 AM   #7
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
No. I do not need dictionary. I do not want dictionary. I would not pay for one.
And bear in mind that English is my fourth language ;-)

I use dictionary as seldom as possible even when I am translating or interpreting to/from English. Translating and interpreting is one of things I do for living.

A good spell checker, well, that is something I would be lost without. Totally lost
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 07:57 AM   #8
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
I voted no. In general I don't need one, but it would be nice to have (a convienent to use) one.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 08:15 AM   #9
Lilly
Guru
Lilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-900 & PRS-950, Amazon Kindle2
I also voted no. I read popular fiction and romance and I've no used for a dictionary. I've used the dictionary on my Kindle only once and that's to see how it work.
Lilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 08:16 AM   #10
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
I do not NEED a dictionary. When reading from paper I generally just read through words that I didn't understand, relying much on the sense to 'guess' the meaning. The alternative of having an often heavy dictionary always to hand was too much trouble!!

OTOH, having the facility on the Cybook has enhanced my reading experience, 'cause I can now investigate words more thoroughly.

I accept that the main area I need a dictionary is when I'm writing - but that is another issue / poll entirely....
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 08:19 AM   #11
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
I don't need a dictionary on my 505, but I'd probably use it if it was there.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 08:50 AM   #12
Burliburd
Enthusiast
Burliburd began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DXG, iPod Touch
I NEED A DICTIONARY!!!

I need a dictionary in my reader because I need to learn English better.
It can be very helpful if I can just select one word and get a definition of it in the bottom of the page as Kindle can do. Unfortunately, Kindle is not available anywhere else except US.

Maybe some people (not as "smart" as the ones who don't need a dictionary) are discouraged to buy a book just because it has too many rare words. For example, a farmer might not know English as good as a lawyer but maybe he likes to read too. But if the lawyer wants to feel very smart compared to a farmer he should say "We don't need dictionary, we are enough smart people."

Why should an ebook reader manufacturer limit their target to only those customers who can speak English language very well?
Sony and others, give a chance to all the people that wants to read! They will buy more books.
Burliburd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 09:03 AM   #13
GntlmnBndt
Zealot
GntlmnBndt doesn't litterGntlmnBndt doesn't litter

Device: iPod Touch, iPad
I do not NEED a dictionary in my ebook reader, but on the other hand the ebook reader software I use already has it. The one in eReader is better as it is available at all times, while Stanza needs to be online to do dictionary lookups, but it does work with ePUBs, so until Fictionwise makes good on their promised ePUB conversion I'll continue to use both.

I guess what I am saying is that I don't NEED dictionary lookup in an ebook reader, but since I already have it, why would I consider another reader only to lose some nice features?

The Bandit
GntlmnBndt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 09:09 AM   #14
RobbieClarken
Addict
RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I managed without a dictionary when I had Sony devices but since getting an iRex I have become hooked on looking up any words I cannot clearly define. I'm not happy with my vocabulary and I think this is a good way to improve it. So now I would be very reluctant to buy an ebook reader without good dictionary support. IMO, instant dictionary lookup is one of the big benefits of ebook reading over paper books.
RobbieClarken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 09:11 AM   #15
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The word want has been removed because this is about need and not want. So do you actually need a dictionary on your reader? Just wanting one is a no. You have to actually need one to vote yes.
I do not get what need means here. Should you answer yes if there is one word in the book you do not know the meaning of? I definitely need a dictionary if I want to exactly understand all words in most books I read.

There are also a lot of words that are very easy to guess wrong what they mean. For me it is adjective like "bemused" and "gingerly" (these two words I read books more than 10 years and not noticing that I had guessed wrong). So it is false that you always can guess from context what the word mean.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dictionary