Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-08-2008, 08:14 PM   #1
Zacf
Zacf began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
Sony Reader Dictionary.

Hi there, first post.

I am taking a college English class and have been scouring the internet for a dictionary that I can use on my Sony PRS-505 to no avail. So I turn to you guys. Can anyone point me in the direction of a Dictionary so I don't get scoliosis from hauling an analog dictionary to class every day?
Zacf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 09:11 PM   #2
crusader666
Enthusiast
crusader666 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505; EB-1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zacf View Post
Hi there, first post.

I am taking a college English class and have been scouring the internet for a dictionary that I can use on my Sony PRS-505 to no avail. So I turn to you guys. Can anyone point me in the direction of a Dictionary so I don't get scoliosis from hauling an analog dictionary to class every day?
Um, "Sony PRS-505" + "Dictionary" = Oxymoron.

There's no way to look anything up in a dictionary with the Sony Reader because there is no keyboard on the device to look up words. Certainly, you can install reference books on the device, but the only practical way to access the information in reference materials is on your computer with a keyboard via the Reader software.
crusader666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-08-2008, 09:34 PM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by crusader666 View Post
Um, "Sony PRS-505" + "Dictionary" = Oxymoron.

There's no way to look anything up in a dictionary with the Sony Reader because there is no keyboard on the device to look up words. Certainly, you can install reference books on the device, but the only practical way to access the information in reference materials is on your computer with a keyboard via the Reader software.
There's no keyboard on a CyBook Gen3 either, but that doesn't prevent dictionaries from working very well on it. Sony's lack of dictionary support is, unfortunately, an area in which they are rather lagging behind the "competition" these days.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 07:43 AM   #4
Ret
Connoisseur
Ret has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ret has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ret has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ret has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ret has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

yes, unfortunately sony's reader doesn't support dictionaries.
I wonder if we can build a book full with definitions and search through it by using the set of buttons on the right of the reader.
I have an ebookwise 1150 and I created myself a pretty useful french->spanish dictionary (out of freelang glossaries). On the footer of the book I put two lines: one with hyperlinks to the first letter of a word and another to the second letter of the word I'm searching for. ( I know that EB1150 has true word lookup feature, but they won't release its dictionary file format)
Do you think such a thing could be created for the Sony reader?
Ret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 09:42 AM   #5
Rocketime
Zealot
Rocketime has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rocketime has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rocketime has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rocketime has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rocketime has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle/Nook Color/NST/Acer Iconica
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zacf View Post
Hi there, first post.

I carry a small electroinc dictionary with me. The dictionary and reader are still not as heavy or big as one book by itself.
Rocketime is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-09-2008, 11:46 AM   #6
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
Maybe consider a Palm device? There are many dictionaries for those.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 05:07 PM   #7
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penforhire View Post
Maybe consider a Palm device? There are many dictionaries for those.
For example the Palm TX is very good with this & easily fits in a shirt pocket. Also has many other functions + some great games.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 05:47 PM   #8
Nogg
Literate!
Nogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it is

Device: PRS-500
It's nowhere near ideal, but if you've installed the Direct Page Control hack, you could guess your way to dictionary entries fairly rapidly.

If anyone knows of a decent free ebook dictionary, I'd even be willing to play around with it and try to hack something up a little more elegant.
Nogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 07:57 PM   #9
mdt1007
mdt1007 began at the beginning.

the PRS is the wrong tool if you want a dictionary. You don't really need this much screen estate in a portable dictionary - those franklin ones with a QWERTY keypad work wonders. Myself, I have a Handspring Visor from a decade ago put to good use as a dictionary with the free Noah Pro program. Slapped a couple AAA primary lithium cells in the PDA and I'm good to go for years. (Too bad today's electronics don't run on trip-A's anymore...)
mdt1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 02:33 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

If dictionary support is important to you, a MobiPocket device such as the Gen3 is a better choice than the Sony. You can buy over 200 different dictionaries in Mobi format.
Old 01-10-2008, 08:32 AM   #11
alexxxm
Addict
alexxxm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.alexxxm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.alexxxm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.alexxxm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Rocket; Hiebook; N700; Sony 505; Kindle DX ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogg View Post
It's nowhere near ideal, but if you've installed the Direct Page Control hack, you could guess your way to dictionary entries fairly rapidly.

If anyone knows of a decent free ebook dictionary, I'd even be willing to play around with it and try to hack something up a little more elegant.
It' some time I'm thinking about it too - I'm working on the Webster1913 as a proof of concept, we'll see if it comes out something useful.

Follow these links:
DICT http://www.dict.org/links.html
Dicts http://www.dicts.info/dictionaries.php
StarDict http://stardict.sourceforge.net/Dict...w.dict.org.php

Alessandro
alexxxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 09:56 AM   #12
alexxxm
Addict
alexxxm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.alexxxm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.alexxxm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.alexxxm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Rocket; Hiebook; N700; Sony 505; Kindle DX ...
I wrote a snippet of code that processes the dict file, and puts it in HTML, with anchors to word triplets, pointing to a table of triplet links at the file beginning.

But, damn, the Webster1913 in HTML is 34MB and 91MB in RTF!
I fear my poor reader will choke under its weight...

Alessandro
alexxxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 09:59 AM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Dictionaries are BIG.

I've got the Chamber's Unabridged 10th Edition dictionary on my Gen3 which, even as a compressed file (ZIP won't shrink it at all) weighs in at 25MB. It's the kind of thing you really need to keep on a memory card rather than in main memory.
Old 01-10-2008, 01:59 PM   #14
Nogg
Literate!
Nogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it isNogg knows what time it is

Device: PRS-500
Yeah, the PG one is 42Mb, but that's because it's unabridged.

For my purposes, I'd be happy with a fairly abridged, simplified dictionary. Something akin to a "pocket" dictionary would be perfect. If I could get one down to about 10Mb, I'd be pretty happy.
Nogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 02:36 PM   #15
Ret
Connoisseur
Ret has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ret has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ret has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ret has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ret has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogg View Post

I didn't know there was a hack for changing the behaviour of buttons. Unfortunately I'm about to receive a 505 which was not yet hacked

Do you know if it's easy to toggle between ebooks? (Something like the "change book" button from ebookwise). I'm trying to use that no for regular dictionaries but for translation dictionaries (which can be much smaller).
Ret is offline   Reply With Quote