Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 03-21-2010, 05:51 PM   #1
paulpeer
Zealot
paulpeer is on a distinguished road

Device: iPhone, Sony PRS-505, EPUBreader
Removing soft hypens

Is there a way to remove all soft hyphens from an ePub using Sigil?

I'm not talking about the HTML soft hyphen "& shy ;" or "& #8209 ;" (see issue 186), but of the real unicode soft hyphen "0xad", which you cannot see in the book view nor in the code view.

The Sigil FAQ tells us "just remove the soft hyphens", but how to handle this?
paulpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 10:12 PM   #2
st_albert
Guru
st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'

Device: none
OK, dumb question: Is there not a search & replace option or syntax that will let you search for hex codes?
st_albert is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-22-2010, 02:56 AM   #3
paulpeer
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by st_albert View Post
OK, dumb question
If I had found an hex search and replace, I hadn't asked my dumb question in the first place
Old 03-22-2010, 06:47 AM   #4
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Copy&paste the soft hyphen from the character map application?
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 12:21 PM   #5
Valloric
Created Sigil, FlightCrew
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
What Jellby said.
Valloric is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-23-2010, 09:08 AM   #6
paulpeer
Zealot

OK. This seems to work. But I feel pretty unsure when I have to search a thing I don't see (the soft hyphen) and replace it by another thing I don't see ... I've done the job now in my usual editor Unired, which does show the soft hyphens.
Old 03-24-2010, 01:27 AM   #7
DrMoze
Booknut
DrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with others

Device: Sony Reader 500/505/300/350, Nook Glowlight Plus (6")
OK, I have this same problem (soft hyphens in ePub showing up as '?'s on my Reader). I don't see them even in Code View.

So, what is this "character map application" that I can copy the soft hyphen from?I don't see it anywhere in Sigil. And do I just do a global replace of that character with nothing?

Thx!
DrMoze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 05:32 AM   #8
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMoze View Post
So, what is this "character map application" that I can copy the soft hyphen from?I don't see it anywhere in Sigil. And do I just do a global replace of that character with nothing?
It should be in your OS. In Windows it's probably in the Accessories section of your Start menu. See here. The soft hyphen is, I believe, in position 173 (decimal) or AD (hexadecimal).
Old 03-24-2010, 05:54 AM   #9
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch

I've created issue 316.
Old 03-24-2010, 06:07 AM   #10
roger64
Wizard
roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3 (wifi)
You can do that with OpenOffice on any platform, including the dark side:

You can copy/paste one of the soft hyphens into the Find & Replace "Search for" field, or you can set "Options/Regular expressions: ON" and enter \x00AD in place of the soft hyphen.

or

http://bugs.calibre-ebook.com/ticket/1137

Last edited by roger64; 03-24-2010 at 07:29 AM.
roger64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 02:42 PM   #11
DrMoze
Booknut
DrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with others

Device: Sony Reader 500/505/300/350, Nook Glowlight Plus (6")
Quote:
Originally Posted by roger64 View Post
You can do that with OpenOffice on any platform, including the dark side:

You can copy/paste one of the soft hyphens into the Find & Replace "Search for" field, or you can set "Options/Regular expressions: ON" and enter \x00AD in place of the soft hyphen.

or

http://bugs.calibre-ebook.com/ticket/1137
The problem with the Calibre approach (converting ePub to ePub should remove the soft hyphens) is that I get weird line spacing problems when I do it. (Adjacent lines overlap; manually increasing line spacing doesn't help.)
DrMoze is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
editing, epub, sigil, soft hyphens