Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 09-25-2009, 03:22 PM   #1
rex0810
rex0810 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Mobi to Kindle with correct metadata?

I have a book on my desktop in .mobi format. I have tried putting this file onto my Kindle through Calibre, and the text looks good but the title and author do not show up in my library.

I imported it into Calibre and corrected the metadata, but everything still shows up as Unknown when I am in my Kindle.

Can someone tell me the exact process for doing this correctly, and getting the metadata to show up like it does when I download a book from the Kindle store? I have read many threads on here that detail using command-line and XP programs, I am on a Mac.

thanks!
rex0810 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 04:06 PM   #2
GRiker
Comparer of the Ephemeris
GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
rex0810:
After correcting the metadata in calibre, plug your Kindle in, then click on the Reader icon so you're looking at the contents of the Kindle. Find the title on the Kindle, click on it to select it, then click the 'Remove book' button to delete the old version from your Kindle.

Next, click 'Library', select the book whose metadata you've edited, then click 'Send to device'. That will send the updated version to your Kindle.

That should do it.

G
GRiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-25-2009, 04:59 PM   #3
rex0810
rex0810 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Just tried that - hadn't previously removed them, had just been trying to rewrite. Out of the 6 I tried, none of them had the author information and 3 had the title, though all of the metadata was correct in Calibre. Could there be a problem with the author sort?
rex0810 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 05:36 PM   #4
GRiker
Comparer of the Ephemeris
GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Yes, it's probably Author Sort. Kindle wants to see author fields as Last, First in the metadata. Open Preferences, Conversion, scroll over to Mobi. I'm guessing that 'Use author sort for author' is checked. Regardless, it should be checked.

In your Mobi file, make sure that both Author and Author sort fields are filled in. Author should be 'John Smith', Author sort should be 'Smith, John'.

Do the same routine - delete the files on the Kindle, edit the metadata, send the updated files to the Kindle.

G
GRiker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kindle, metadata, mobi