Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-03-2009, 03:05 PM   #1
Carmelreader
Groupie
Carmelreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Carmelreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Carmelreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Carmelreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Carmelreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Carmelreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Carmelreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Carmelreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Carmelreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Carmelreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Carmelreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HD, kindle HDX 8.9, ipad pro, ipad mini 2, Voyage, Oasis 2
First Reader its a prs 505

Hi I am new here. I have been lurking for 2 months reading everything, trying to figure out which reader to get. I kept going back and forth. And being as there isn't anywhere near where I live to see them, I was totally relying on you all. I thought I would get the 600 but they weren't for sale last week, didn't really need notes etc and I got impatient, so I got the 505. It just arrived this morning. I played with it a bit before starting to charge it.

First I think it is great. One thing I was very surprised about was how grey the screen was. It is very clear, but I hadn't realized it would be so grey. I thought it might be too bright. I was also surprised at how heavy it was, nicely so, but heavier than I expected. I have been reading a bit off my itouch, which has heft for it size, still I was surprised with the sony. It feels very substantial.

I have a mac, which is why I dithered so long until Sony let us in. Even though it came with a disk, from reading here, I decided to download the software from the web. It worked perfectly (so far). I then checked out and downloaded some library books and they went immediately to the elib software. Beautiful! Wow. I then imported into the library some Pdfs I had and pdf of a knitting pattern. I am very interested to see how the knitting pattern works. This could be a very exciting little perk if it works.

So hello to everyone and thank you for all the information you have posted. It made my trying a new reader a real plug and play experience. Now if it would just finish charging.......https://www.mobileread.com/forums/ima...lies/smile.gif
Carmelreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 03:22 PM   #2
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Kobo Forma
Welcome to MR and glad you like your 505 so far.

If you have any questions please let us know and we'll be happy to help.
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-05-2009, 07:41 AM   #3
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hi Carmelreader and welcome to MobileRead. I've had a 505 since Jan 08 and really like it. Okay, okay, I'm addicted to the damn thing! In fact, one of the longest hours of my life was waiting for it to charge up.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 09:30 AM   #4
DrMoze
Booknut
DrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with others

Device: Sony Reader 500/505/300/350, Nook Glowlight Plus (6")
Congrats on the new Reader! Been enjoying my 505 for a long time now! One key charging hint--don't charge with a usb cable. Get a Sony PSP charger--any one will work. Charges faster and more reliably than usb. And you can read while charging.
DrMoze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 02:11 PM   #5
bookwerm
Zealot
bookwerm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bookwerm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bookwerm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bookwerm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bookwerm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: B&N Nook
carmelreader - congrats on the new 505! I was scouring the MR forums as well till last Wednesday, when I settled on a new red 505. I'm already into book #2!

DrMoze - is the PSP charger the only one that works with the 505? I also have a Sony portable DVD player (FX-820) and was wondering if I could use the AC adapter for the DVD player with the reader... have you heard of anyone attempting this?
bookwerm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-05-2009, 02:30 PM   #6
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by bookwerm View Post
DrMoze - is the PSP charger the only one that works with the 505? I also have a Sony portable DVD player (FX-820) and was wondering if I could use the AC adapter for the DVD player with the reader... have you heard of anyone attempting this?
Haven't heard of anyone using they charger you mention, but here are the specs from the PSP charger I have...

5V - 2000mA
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 06:14 PM   #7
DrMoze
Booknut
DrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with others

Device: Sony Reader 500/505/300/350, Nook Glowlight Plus (6")
Not sure about the DVD charger either. But you can get PSP chargers for under $10 at any department or video game store. Or,just buy a PSP power/data cable, which lets you PROPERLY charge thru the round power port from any usb port (including us wall chargers).
DrMoze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 10:00 PM   #8
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Congratulations on a wise choice! Welcome.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 03:12 AM   #9
keith_mahoney
keith_mahoney began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-600 on pre-order; Cancelled. Got a 505, charger and case 4 less $
I just canceled my pre-order on a PRS-600 and picked up a Red 505 at the PX. They have them marked down to $197. So I got the Reader, an overpriced ($30) wall charger, and a Book Armor case for less than a PRS-600.

What really led to me switching models though was videos on the net comparing the screen quality of the 505 and 600.

My screen is closer to white than gray. One thing I was worried about was slow page turns, but it turns pages much faster than I do with a book since I read books with one had as well and have to reach up to turn the page.
keith_mahoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 04:50 AM   #10
solyfugo
solyfugo began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Any charger with the correct specs and standard "round" plug will do the job: 5V /1A

Anyway, if you use one with 0,5A it will be like your USB cable (double time) but if you use one with 2A it doesn't matter as your reader's internal circuit is going to limit charging intensity to 1A. You are not gonna burn it.

Regards.
solyfugo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 05:59 PM   #11
joobies
Addict
joobies once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.joobies once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.joobies once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.joobies once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.joobies once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.joobies once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.joobies once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.joobies once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.joobies once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.joobies once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.joobies once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle 1, Sony PRS-505
Somewhat like Carmelreader, I just purchased a PRS505. Spent 4 hours with it today and am quite pleased with the reader.
I have enjoyed my Kindle for almost a year and really thought long and hard about leaving my comfort zone with a Sony.... for my husband.
So far, I am impressed with what I have seen. Now, the real test is to see what my husband thinks.... when he gets it for his birthday.

Question: With the Kindle, when you add books, there is a lengthy indexing time that drains on the battery. Does the Sony index, too? Or, is that a Kindle only thing, due to the search option on the Kindle?

MobileRead had a great deal to do with my selecting a Sony... good job, folks.
joobies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 11:15 PM   #12
Superlucky
Fanatic
Superlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toys

Device: PRS-505, PRS-350
Congrats on the 505. You'll love it.
Superlucky is offline   Reply With Quote