Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 01-01-2014, 02:05 PM   #1
Yapyap
Guru
Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad 3, Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge
PDF reader with sepia mode?

I try to avoid reading PDF files as much as possible, but I've got some PDF files that don't convert well to epub or mobi and I'll likely have to brave them on the iPad instead of my Kindle.

This leads me to wonder: is there a PDF viewer app for the iPad that has sepia mode? I hate reading on the iPad as is, but sepia mode is at least semi-tolerable for one book at a time, unlike black on shiny white (or dim white - I can't read at all if I turn the backlight low enough for it to not hurt).

I know many PDF apps do "night mode", i.e. white on black, but that's even worse than black on white for me. I've been googling for a while, but so far, the only one I've found that claims to have sepia mode is PDF Expert 5 for 9 €.

I wouldn't need any other features at all, as I really don't use PDFs much - just reading on a sepia background. Is PDF Expert my only choice (and does it actually do what it claims - I can't find screenshots anywhere) or are there other apps that do the same for a bit less money? I'll buy it if I have to, but with no need for its many other features and not foreseeing using it very often, I thought I'd ask here first!

I have an iPad 3 running iOS 7.0.
Yapyap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 06:54 PM   #2
markom
Banned
markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs t1 kindle dx ipad
PerfectReader 2, free or paid version.

https://itunes.apple.com/in/app/perf...436633759?mt=8

4 levels of sepia (x-lite, lite, normal, dark)

Last edited by markom; 01-01-2014 at 07:09 PM.
markom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-01-2014, 07:10 PM   #3
jojoba
Addict
jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad 3gen, Cybook Odyssey FL HD
PDF Expert 5 has sepia mode.
jojoba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 02:15 AM   #4
Yapyap
Guru
Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by markom View Post
PerfectReader 2, free or paid version.

https://itunes.apple.com/in/app/perf...436633759?mt=8

4 levels of sepia (x-lite, lite, normal, dark)
Thanks! The free version would sound perfect for my needs, except that it keeps crashing whenever I actually try to open the file... :-/ I noticed I'd already downloaded it at some point before but deleted it from the device, probably for the same reason back then.

This makes me somewhat reluctant to try the paid version. Hmm. Then again, maybe the paid version is more stable and can at least handle a single document?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojoba View Post
PDF Expert 5 has sepia mode.
Thanks for the confirmation! If nothing cheaper works out, I might just go for that. I'm just somewhat reluctant to pay 9 € in order to, basically, read a couple of free ARCs...
Old 01-02-2014, 11:59 AM   #5
markom
Banned
markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs t1 kindle dx ipad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yapyap View Post
Thanks! The free version would sound perfect for my needs, except that it keeps crashing whenever I actually try to open the file... :-/ I noticed I'd already downloaded it at some point before but deleted it from the device, probably for the same reason back then.

This makes me somewhat reluctant to try the paid version. Hmm. Then again, maybe the paid version is more stable and can at least handle a single document?

Sorry to hear that, PerfectReader 2 free version, is pdf reader that I've been using most of the time, but only on iOS 5 and 6, not 7.

Maybe you can try it again in a month or two and see if they resolved that issue.

Free Kobo reader also has sepia mode, at least that one for iOS 5 from about a year ago.

https://itunes.apple.com/ca/app/kobo/id301259483?mt=8

You can also try to print pdf out with some sepia-like color instead of white, before transferring it to tablet or try those glasses for computer screens like;

http://www.gunnars.com/advanced-computer-eyewear/

Last edited by markom; 01-02-2014 at 03:13 PM.
markom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-02-2014, 02:36 PM   #6
Yapyap
Guru

I like those glasses. Alas, I already wear a pair, and I don't think I can get anything remotely like that for my prescription anywhere nearby (or for prices I could afford).

I'll definitely try again at some point. I gather iOS 7 seems to have broken various apps. It might also be that particular file, as it seems to crash most apps I've tried it in (apart from Adobe's PDF reader and iBooks). Hmph. Maybe I should just convert it into epub or mobi and put up with the horrible formatting, but the page numbers and headers/footers all over the text really aren't appealing, and I don't think I feel up to physically removing them all (and manage to not spoil myself for the book while at it)...
Old 01-02-2014, 05:10 PM   #7
JTravers
Groupie
JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air 2
Quote:

I wouldn't risk buying the paid version. It doesn't look like it's been updated in over a year, so whatever bug it has is probably a conflict with iOS 7. It would probably be best to wait and see if the developer releases a new version that is compatible with iOS 7 (which might possibly never happen).
JTravers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 05:45 PM   #8
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
GoodReader has Day/Night color defaults you can override for reflow (TXT) mode. Default Day mode is 'sepia' colored.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 01:02 AM   #9
Yapyap
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
GoodReader has Day/Night color defaults you can override for reflow (TXT) mode. Default Day mode is 'sepia' colored.
Hmmm. That is also very good to know, thanks! I've heard lots of good things about GoodReader.
Old 01-03-2014, 05:15 PM   #10
johnnyb
Cloud Reader
johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle Scribe, iPad Pro 11
Goodreader has also not been updated for ios7 and is known to crash
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 05:17 PM   #11
johnnyb
Cloud Reader
johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle Scribe, iPad Pro 11
Quote:
I like those glasses. Alas, I already wear a pair, and I don't think I can get anything remotely like that for my prescription anywhere nearby (or for prices I could afford).

I'll definitely try again at some point. I gather iOS 7 seems to have broken various apps. It might also be that particular file, as it seems to crash most apps I've tried it in (apart from Adobe's PDF reader and iBooks). Hmph. Maybe I should just convert it into epub or mobi and put up with the horrible formatting, but the page numbers and headers/footers all over the text really aren't appealing, and I don't think I feel up to physically removing them all (and manage to not spoil myself for the book while at it)...
Use briss to crop the margins to exclude headers, page numbers etc, then convert...
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 05:25 PM   #12
Yapyap
Guru

That sounds like an awful lot of work, really, for something that is hundreds of pages. :-S

I might just end up reading it on the computer. For some reason I actually have an easier time with the computer backlit LCD screen than a tablet screen.

I'm still thinking about PDF Reader 5, anyway. Might splurge for it eventually, I suppose - who knows, maybe I will need the extra features for something some day...
Old 01-03-2014, 10:00 PM   #13
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyb View Post
Goodreader has also not been updated for ios7 and is known to crash
I fixed my Goodreads crashed on iOS7 by turning off "Pre-cache adjacent pages" in the Viewing PDF Files settings.

I've just downloaded ClaroPDF, and that has a choice of PDF background colours including beige, cream and ivory (among others).
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 06:26 AM   #14
Yapyap
Guru

Thank you! ClaroPDF is absolutely perfect.

It still crashed (both the Lite and the Pro version - as it was only 0.89 €, I had no problems buying it) with that particular file - so I figured that if everything other than Adobe Reader and iBooks crash with it, it might be a problem with the file. Managed to re-save it in Adobe Reader and then compress with smallpdf online, and ClaroPDF Lite opened the re-saved & compressed file without problems.

This is exactly what I needed!
Old 01-04-2014, 06:31 AM   #15
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Thank you! ClaroPDF is absolutely perfect.
[...]

This is exactly what I needed!
Cool!
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote