Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 04-17-2012, 10:46 PM   #1
qlob
Official Lurker
qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3.4
Lightbulb mosh on kindle?

Hi! (long time lurker here)
I was wondering if anyone had thought about mosh for the kindle 3 as i would really enjoy that. I would love to build it myself but gcc and i dont get along very well even on my desktop box. Source code i available at mosh.mit.edu .

qlobthehorse
qlob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 11:00 PM   #2
qlob
Official Lurker
qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

FYI:I am not looking to utilize the kindle 3's 3g capabilities. My home internet ip is always changing and i like some features of mosh compared to ssh.

Last edited by qlob; 04-17-2012 at 11:03 PM. Reason: spelling
Advert
Old 04-18-2012, 03:06 AM   #3
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Heh, looks like a fun little project! I'll look into it for the next usbnet release, it doesn't sound much more complicated than building it and putting it in $PATH, since the server is spawned on demand via SSH, we just have to make sure there's a proper UTF-8 setup on the Kindle side (which might not exactly be the case, I seem to remember disabling htop's utf-8 support for some reason besides ncursesw not being shipped on the Kindle...).
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 08:00 AM   #4
qlob
Official Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
Heh, looks like a fun little project! I'll look into it for the next usbnet release, it doesn't sound much more complicated than building it and putting it in $PATH, since the server is spawned on demand via SSH, we just have to make sure there's a proper UTF-8 setup on the Kindle side (which might not exactly be the case, I seem to remember disabling htop's utf-8 support for some reason besides ncursesw not being shipped on the Kindle...).
Great Idea! I didn't even think about using it for usbnet but it would be useful b/c at least for me my desktop wants to disconnect and reconnect every 2 or 3 seconds with the kindle and it gives it a new ip every time.i usually diagose the the ip problem with something like
sudo watch 2 ifconfig usb0 192.168.2.1
but it stil is cycling and mosh could help by reconnecting after it cycles.
Old 04-18-2012, 02:28 PM   #5
qlob
Official Lurker

.....[removed for being irrelevant].....

Last edited by qlob; 04-19-2012 at 04:44 PM.
Advert
Old 06-14-2012, 11:04 PM   #6
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Turned out to be a bit more complicated than expected, because it's C++, has an uncommon dep, and the libstdc++ bundled on the K3 is fracking ancient.

Anyway, couldn't bundle the client, since it depends on a perl wrapper, but, barring any last minute issue, the server should make its way into the next USBNetwork release (in a few days).

Turns out it's not that efficient on the tiny K3 CPU, but, oh, well, it works, if a bit sluggishly.

Last edited by NiLuJe; 06-14-2012 at 11:28 PM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mosh