Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 05-08-2017, 11:27 AM   #1
zebradude
Addict
zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: See Signature
Turn off Kindle

Is it possible to turn off any of the e-ink Kindles?

I love how I can turn off my Kobo's.
zebradude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 12:55 PM   #2
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Yes, just remove the battery.

How long does it take your Kobo to resume working when you turn it back on?
More than a second, and it really wasn't any more off than a Kindle is when shut down.

Last edited by knc1; 05-08-2017 at 12:58 PM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-08-2017, 12:58 PM   #3
theol0403
Enthusiast
theol0403 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!theol0403 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!theol0403 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!theol0403 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!theol0403 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!theol0403 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!theol0403 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!theol0403 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!theol0403 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!theol0403 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!theol0403 is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Device: Kindle PW3
Possible

Are you willing to jailbreak your kindle and install kual? Then yes it is possible, by executing "poweroff" in a shell (run by kual). However there is no poweroff screen it will show the restarting screen until you turn it back on.
theol0403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 01:00 PM   #4
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theol0403 View Post
Are you willing to jailbreak your kindle and install kual? Then yes it is possible, by executing "poweroff" in a shell (run by kual). However there is no poweroff screen it will show the restarting screen until you turn it back on.
The system is only halted, it is not powered off.

If it was powered off, there would be no way the mechanical switch could turn it back on.
Old 05-08-2017, 01:46 PM   #5
zebradude
Addict
zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Yes, just remove the battery.

How long does it take your Kobo to resume working when you turn it back on?
More than a second, and it really wasn't any more off than a Kindle is when shut down.
you can't shut down a Kindle that's the issue. mine will connect with Amazon's servers to get the latest ads and burn batteries.

I have a Kobo Aura HD and I rarely use it and when I do it's ready to go. I leave my Kindle unused and it is dead when I try to use it. annoying...
Advert
Old 05-08-2017, 01:49 PM   #6
dhdurgee
Guru
dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3W, PW4
Quote:
Originally Posted by zebradude View Post
you can't shut down a Kindle that's the issue. mine will connect with Amazon's servers to get the latest ads and burn batteries.

I have a Kobo Aura HD and I rarely use it and when I do it's ready to go. I leave my Kindle unused and it is dead when I try to use it. annoying...
Put your kindle in Airplane mode and Amazon won't be able to touch it. It will also save on your battery.

Dave
dhdurgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 02:05 PM   #7
zebradude
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhdurgee View Post
Put your kindle in Airplane mode and Amazon won't be able to touch it. It will also save on your battery.

Dave
I wish that was the case. If I leave mine in Airplane mode it will be dead within a month.
Old 05-08-2017, 02:17 PM   #8
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:

If it is that important to you, spend the small fee to unsubscribe from special offers and put it in airplane mode before putting it to sleep.

Or just sell it, since Kindle devices can not please you, there is no reason for you to keep it.
Old 05-10-2017, 02:23 AM   #9
odamizu
just an egg
odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iOS
Quote:
I wish that was the case. If I leave mine in Airplane mode it will be dead within a month.
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
If it is that important to you, spend the small fee to unsubscribe from special offers and put it in airplane mode before putting it to sleep.
My Voyage does not have special offers, and I always put it in airplane mode before putting to sleep, and I have the same experience where the battery will be dead in a month or two, even if I don't use it during that time.

I have always found it surprising that you can't turn off a Kindle.

I have an old Sony T2 that you can power down. I haven't charged the battery for over a year. Every couple months I turn it on, just to check it, and the battery meter still shows as full.

The Oasis, on the other hand, has a deep sleep mode, so battery use while not in use is minimized.
odamizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 12:22 AM   #10
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Turn on airplane mode and just remember to feed it once a month.

Oh and a turned off Kobo still needs fed about once a year.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 11:12 AM   #11
zebradude
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
Turn on airplane mode and just remember to feed it once a month.

Oh and a turned off Kobo still needs fed about once a year.
Actually my Kobo AuraHD has been off and not "fed" for well over a year and I can turn it on and it is charged and ready to go!

Old 05-19-2017, 12:31 PM   #12
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Actually my Kobo AuraHD has been off and not "fed" for well over a year and I can turn it on and it is charged and ready to go!

The older ones do like fed. Oh and thanks for the reminder to feed my fire.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote