Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 12-24-2010, 04:00 PM   #1
clittle
Zealot
clittle can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterclittle can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterclittle can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterclittle can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterclittle can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterclittle can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterclittle can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterclittle can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterclittle can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterclittle can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterclittle can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Kindle 3
Funny name when sent to Kindle

Hi,

Here's what happened:

1. Downloaded a book from the internet which had an all numeric name.

2. Imported into Calibre with that name.

3. Changed the name in Calibre to the "real" name of the book.

4. Downloaded to my Kindle and it showed up with the numeric name!

Why? I see nothing odd when I edit the metadata in Calibre. Yet the original all numeric name must be buried somewhere in the database.

Is there a way I can fix this?

Thanks
clittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 04:14 PM   #2
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
Was it a PDF by chance? Fixing the metadata is kinda hit and miss...
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-24-2010, 04:19 PM   #3
clittle
Zealot
clittle can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterclittle can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterclittle can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterclittle can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterclittle can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterclittle can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterclittle can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterclittle can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterclittle can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterclittle can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterclittle can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcuadro View Post
Was it a PDF by chance? Fixing the metadata is kinda hit and miss...
Yes, I think it was a PDF. But why when I change the name in Calibre doesn't THAT name go to Kindle?

Thanks,
Old 12-24-2010, 04:22 PM   #4
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
Because editing the metdata on the PDF itself is a pain in the ass.
I happen to have Adobe Acrobat installed on my computer and I just edit the metadata using Adobe and then it shows up fine
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 04:29 PM   #5
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
when you changed the name in Calibre's meta data, did you then re-convert it?
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-24-2010, 04:31 PM   #6
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
when you changed the name in Calibre's meta data, did you then re-convert it?
Probably not. The Kindle support PDF natively. Also, the metadata is updated when sending to device (in addition to converting) if the formats supports writing metadata. PDF metadata often cannot be written to existing files.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 04:33 PM   #7
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_none View Post
Probably not. The Kindle support PDF natively. Also, the metadata is updated when sending to device (in addition to converting) if the formats supports writing metadata. PDF metadata often cannot be written to existing files.
Oops......sorry, you are absolutely correct.....

I was thinking it had been converted once.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 07:57 AM   #8
clittle
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcuadro View Post
Because editing the metdata on the PDF itself is a pain in the ass.
I happen to have Adobe Acrobat installed on my computer and I just edit the metadata using Adobe and then it shows up fine
Hi,

It turned out the file I downloaded from the internet was html not pdf. My memory's not that great

And yes, the numeric name was in the html.

But still, shouldn't Calibre be able to preserve the name I give it even when sent to a Kindle? Perhaps it would have worked if I changed the name before I converted it.

Thanks.
Old 12-25-2010, 08:05 AM   #9
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by clittle View Post
But still, shouldn't Calibre be able to preserve the name I give it even when sent to a Kindle? Perhaps it would have worked if I changed the name before I converted it.
Try converting it to Mobi instead of PDF.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 08:07 AM   #10
clittle
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
Try converting it to Mobi instead of PDF.
I did. It was originally html. I converted to mobi and downloaded it to my Kindle.

Thanks.
Old 12-25-2010, 10:39 AM   #11
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by clittle View Post
Hi,

It turned out the file I downloaded from the internet was html not pdf. My memory's not that great

And yes, the numeric name was in the html.

Thanks.
I don't think that Calibre 'changes' the name inside a file, only adds *more*, especially the missing parts.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote