Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 02-19-2012, 11:00 AM   #1
MarkColeman
MarkColeman began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
Help with Calibre Portable and Linux

Hi

Apologies if this has been asked before, I have looked in the forums but cannot see anything.

I would like to set Calibre up to store books on a network drive.

From what I've been able to figure out myself, it seems as if I need to setup Calibre portable but I'm struggling to do so.

I am running v0.8.40 on Ubuntu 11.04 and tried to configure the calibre-portable.bat file with the location of my books but nothing happens when I run it.

If anyone could provide some advice, I would be very grateful.

Thanks
MarkColeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 04:26 PM   #2
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Calibre Portable is Windows only. Don't know what you need to do to create a Linux equivalent. Sounds to me you only want the library on the network drive while running the actual program locally. If so, all you need to do is copy the calibre library to the network drive and add it to Calibre via the Switch/Create Library option.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 05:45 AM   #3
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
Be aware that calibre is not yet network friendly, in that you can manage to mess up your files by having them open on more than one machine. You can also get into trouble if you try to work on files in both Linux and Windows, as file name issues can occur, since Linux and Windows do not treat file names the same.
mrmikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 03:52 PM   #4
MarkColeman

ilovejedd : thats exactly what I want to do but the metadata.db file corrupts when its on a network drive.

Mrmikel: I only use Linux and won't be using windows at all, or access from more than one machine.

Looking at the Calibre site, the way to separate the metadata.db from the actual epub files is to configure the calibre-portable.bat file and set the CALIBRE_OVERRIDE_DATABASE_PATH to point to a DB on the local drive. That doesn't seem to work for me though.

Thanks for the response though, I'll keep trying to figure it out.
Old 02-22-2012, 03:59 PM   #5
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
I have no idea how to set-up environment variables in Linux. If you can set the CALIBRE_OVERRIDE_DATABASE_PATH via shell or something, it might work.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 03:02 PM   #6
MarkColeman

ilovejedd: thanks, I've just realised I've been an idiot. The calibre-portable.bat needs to be rewritten as a script for linux. Think I may be out of my depth, but I'll give it a go.....
Old 02-26-2012, 04:10 PM   #7
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkColeman View Post
ilovejedd: thanks, I've just realised I've been an idiot. The calibre-portable.bat needs to be rewritten as a script for linux. Think I may be out of my depth, but I'll give it a go.....
If you have not already started then do not bother. I have already done that and am in the process of testing the results. I will upload the results when testing completes.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 10:02 AM   #8
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
As promised, here is a version of the Calibre-Portable.sh file for Linux. Hopefully the embedded comments are sufficient to allow any tweaking if you want something other than the default settings.

I have also included a slightly improved version of the Calibre-Portable.bat file for use with Windows.

KOVID: You might want to update the version in the calibre/resources folder with these versions.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Calibre Portable.zip (5.3 KB, 522 views)
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 01:10 PM   #9
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Done.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 05:07 PM   #10
MarkColeman

Hi itimpi, sorry I haven't been online for a bit or I woudl have said thanks for taking the time to do this, it's much appreciated much sooner.
Old 02-01-2015, 06:13 AM   #11
bambuko
Connoisseur
bambuko began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo mini, Kobo Clara HD
I know it is an old thread, but it just helped me to install Calibre Portable (Linux version) on usb HDD. The only change I had to do to Calibre-Portable.sh to make it work was:
Code:
echo "Starting up Calibre"
echo `pwd`
# original: calibre --with-library "$CALIBRE_LIBRARY_DIRECTORY"
# below modified to make it portable
"`pwd`/calibre" --with-library "$CALIBRE_LIBRARY_DIRECTORY"

Thank you!
bambuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 06:13 PM   #12
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
You should not need pwd in order to tell it to look in the current directory?

Last edited by eschwartz; 02-01-2015 at 08:54 PM.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 08:36 PM   #13
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Surely it all depends if the path includes ".".

Wouldn't a far simpler solution be
Code:
./calibre --with-library "$CALIBRE_LIBRARY_DIRECTORY"
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 11:30 AM   #14
bambuko
Connoisseur
bambuko began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo mini, Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
You should not need pwd in order to tell it to look in the current directory?
I agree, but running it with original script resulted in:

However...
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Surely it all depends if the path includes ".".

Wouldn't a far simpler solution be
Code:
./calibre --with-library "$CALIBRE_LIBRARY_DIRECTORY"
You are absolutely right. This is indeed far simpler solution and it runs fine.
I have updated my calibre-portable.sh
bambuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 11:36 AM   #15
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Sorry, I meant do exactly that. It is the usual way of running scripts from a certain directory. For instance, every "./configure; make; make install" out there.

Who needs an extra pwd?
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote