Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 10-12-2012, 10:55 AM   #1
dotancohen
Enthusiast
dotancohen is on a distinguished road

Device: none
Cannot use Nook with Calibre

In Calibre 0.9.2 on Kubuntu 11.10 I cannot use my newly-purchased Nook Simpletouch with Glowlight device. The device is plugged into USB, and I can browse it with the file system. I then open Calibre. I have enabled the "Nook Device Interface(1.0.0) by John Schember" plugin. There seem to be other Nook plugins, but when I try to install them I get a popup "The plugin: Nook cannot be disabled".

In Calibre I right-click a book and click "Send to device -> Send to main memory". Nothing happens, as if there is no click register for the menu item. Note also that I tried with a previous 0.9.x version and had the same problem. I upgraded to 0.9.2 to try to resolve the issue. Here is the debug info:
Code:
 - saturn:~$ calibre-debug -d 
Error: Unable to open ~/.mtpz-data for reading.
calibre 0.9.0 
Linux-3.0.0-20-generic-x86_64-with-debian-wheezy-sid Linux
('Linux', '3.0.0-20-generic', '#34-Ubuntu SMP Tue May 1 17:24:39 UTC 2012')
Python 2.7.3
Linux: ('debian', 'wheezy/sid', '')
USB devices on system:
[['0x46d', '0xc068', '0x5802', u'Logitech', u'G500', u'9D34CD39E60018'],
 ['0x2080', '0x3', '0x216', u'B&N', u'NOOK SimpleTouch', u'3023350010123047'],
 ['0xa12', '0x1', '0x1958', u'', u'BT2.0', u''],
 ['0x1a7c', '0x191', '0x402', u'HOLTEK', u'Evoluent VerticalMouse 4', u''],
 ['0x4d9', '0x132', '0x390', u'', u'USB Keyboard', u'']]
Available plugins: ADAM ALEX ALURATEK_COLOR ANDROID ARCHOS7O AVANT AZBOOKA BAMBOOK
BLACKBERRY BOEYE_BDX BOEYE_BEX BOOQ BOOX COBY COOL_ER CYBOOK DBOOK E52
E71X EB511 EB600 EBK52 ECLICTO EDGE EEEREADER ELONEX ESLICK EX124G
FOLDER_DEVICE_FOR_CONFIG GEMEI GER2 HANLINV3 HANLINV5 ILIAD INVESBOOK
IPAPYRUS IREXDR1000 IREXDR800 IRIVER_STORY ITALICA JETBOOK
JETBOOK_COLOR JETBOOK_MINI KINDLE KINDLE2 KINDLE_DX KINDLE_FIRE KOBO
LIBREAIR LUMIREAD MENTOR MOOVYBOOK MTP_DEVICE N516 N770 N810 NEWSMY
NEXTBOOK NUUT2 ODYSSEY ORIZON PALMPRE PDNOVEL PDNOVEL_KOBO PI2 PICO
PLAYBOOK POCKETBOOK301 POCKETBOOK360 POCKETBOOK360P POCKETBOOK602
POCKETBOOK622 POCKETBOOK701 PRS505 PRST1 README S60 SHINEBOOK
SMART_DEVICE_APP SNE SOVOS SPECTRA STASH SUNSTECH_EB700 SWEEX
TECLAST_K3 THEBOOK TREKSTOR USER_DEFINED VELOCITYMICRO WEBOS WEXLER

Looking for devices of type: MTP_DEVICE
No known MTP devices connected to system

Looking for devices...

Devices possibly connected: None                                                                                                                       
 - saturn:~$

Last edited by dotancohen; 10-12-2012 at 01:18 PM.
dotancohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 11:56 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Go to preferences->plugins and re-enable the Nook device interface plugins you disabled.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-12-2012, 01:21 PM   #3
dotancohen
Enthusiast

Thank you Kovid. I do not see that the plugin is disabled / or if there is any way to enable it. The plugin icon and text shows as grey, whereas all other (uninstalled) plugins have a green icon and black text. Does grey icon and grey text mean that the plugin is unavailable to install (because it is installed) or that it is disabled?
Old 10-12-2012, 01:47 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by dotancohen View Post
Thank you Kovid. I do not see that the plugin is disabled / or if there is any way to enable it. The plugin icon and text shows as grey, whereas all other (uninstalled) plugins have a green icon and black text. Does grey icon and grey text mean that the plugin is unavailable to install (because it is installed) or that it is disabled?
Grey means disabled.
Select the PI, then you will be able to use the 'Enable/Disable' button to flip the state
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 01:52 PM   #5
dotancohen
Enthusiast

Thank you, I can now send books to the Nook!

One small suggestion, if I might: perhaps the Plugins configuration screen could provide a mouse-over text of "Disabled" to make clear to the user that the plugin is disabled. As stated earlier, the grey colour does not make clear whether the plugin is unavailable to install (because it is installed) or that it is disabled.

Thank you!
Advert
Old 10-27-2012, 05:53 AM   #6
haegar333
haegar333 began at the beginning.

Device: Be-Book
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by dotancohen View Post
... I have enabled the "Nook Device Interface(1.0.0) by John Schember" plugin.
Where is this plugin? I cannot find it in the Calibre 0.9.4. plugins list.

Would this plugin allow to exploit the Nook concept of "Shelves"? They are not visible when you mount the Nook via USB on your PC.
haegar333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 10:47 AM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by haegar333 View Post
Where is this plugin? I cannot find it in the Calibre 0.9.4. plugins list.

Would this plugin allow to exploit the Nook concept of "Shelves"? They are not visible when you mount the Nook via USB on your PC.
Access to Built in plugins are found at the Bottom of the Preferences page.

Device OUTPUT (there are others specific to a device profile) plugins is the section to look into.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote