Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-05-2010, 09:44 AM   #1
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Converting PDF to AZW files via Amazon email

I sent an email to the proper Amazon account with a PDF file attached and "convert" without the quotes in the subject line.

It came back to my Kindle as an apparent PDF file but in much worse shape than the original PDF file.

It appears all the came back as PHOTOS.

What did I do wrong? What should I do to get the conversion done?
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 12:25 PM   #2
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
I converted Pdf's to Mobi format using Calibre, they were mainly text Pdf's with very few images
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-05-2010, 12:29 PM   #3
jswinden
Nameless Being

I agree with Josieb1--use calibre or another conversion program. But even then don't expect great results. PDFs were never intend for reflowable text. PDFs therefore are often not converted well to any ebook format.
Old 09-05-2010, 12:35 PM   #4
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Since the ebook you got back is not an exact copy of the original, it has been converted. The result should always be an .azw (MOBI) file, but if Amazon can't convert the PDF to text it will instead convert it to images. This was more useful before the Kindle could read PDFs - now it is probably a waste of time.

As Josieb1 says, you might want to try Calibre's PDF to MOBI conversion. Calibre is very easy to use, and is worth installing if you expect to read any significant number of your own documents on the Kindle. However, some PDFs are just intrinsically hard to convert to another format - so don't be surprised if Calibre's conversion is also a bust.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 12:42 PM   #5
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
I wonder if the original PDF was perhaps also a graphic file, such as would be created by scanning a paper article and saving the results as a pdf.

I myself had a similar experience with a graphic-based PDF. Before the conversion to Kindle format, you could at least zoom, but after using the Convert email function I could not. It did not much matter, because it was too frustrating to read either way.

Fortunately, the great majority of pdf's on the web are not based on scanned images.
SteveEisenberg is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-05-2010, 02:21 PM   #6
trekchick
Lurker
trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.

Device: Sonys and Kindles and Nooks, oh my!
If you really want it converted cleanly, try Calibre's debug mode (click convert, then scroll down to the cute little lady bug in the left pane). A lot of times, you can fix the major problems by editing the html output in one of the debug folders. Calibre outputs four versions: Input, Parsed, Processed, and Structure. So, you can pick which version looks best and tweak from there (I'd start with Parsed, and go back to Input if necessary).

If Calibre extracts nothing but jpegs, you can still work with that. Use Mobipocket Creator to create a new book and add the images (in correct order) to the Publication Files (I'm not in front of Windows right now, so I'm relying on memory - if it's not called "Publication Files" it's something similar).
trekchick is offline   Reply With Quote