Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-18-2009, 03:21 PM   #1
dickon25
Groupie
dickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony PRS-505. Pocketbook Inkpad 840
Adobe ePub and the 505........

I recently bought two Adobe ePub books from Books on Board. They were new releases which I had advance-ordered (K.J Parker's 'Shadow' and 'Colours in the Steel' if anyone's interested!).
When I transferred them to my 505 the formatting was dreadful - the base font was so small I couldn't see it and when I increased it to something readable there were acres of white space and no justification.
I can't fault BoB's customer service - they were excellent and re-credited my account - but their explanation was interesting:

"We have not received any replacement files from the distributor for these titles. The formating issue is caused by Adobe file construction standards that predate the Sony frmware upgrade allowing for support by the device. We have made the distributor aware of the issue and requested that they inform the publisher of these titles........"

Since the books had only just been published I find it strange that the file construction predates the Sony upgrade. I am now deeply hesitant about buying any more Adobe ePub!

Has anyone else had similar problems?
dickon25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 03:53 PM   #2
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
I get the same problem with books I borrow from the library. The formatting is so bad that at medium or large font sizes, not only do you get a lot of white space, but also dialogue runs together making it difficult to determine which character is actually speaking.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-18-2009, 06:26 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Bad formatting is one of the reasons I strip the DRM and fix ePub eBooks. If we had a standard format for ePub eBooks, we'd possibly be OK overall.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 06:48 PM   #4
dickon25
Groupie
dickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-books

And there was I thinking ePub was a standard format......silly me!

I've never attempted 'fixing' the DRM on Adobe ePub; out of interest, which program do you use Jon? Is it another Python script?
Old 11-18-2009, 09:35 PM   #5
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by dickon25 View Post
Is it another Python script?
Yes, but it is a .pyw so it comes with its own (simple) GUI for Windows. Just click on the script to run it. See Adobe ADEPT DRM for EPUB circumvented.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-19-2009, 12:20 PM   #6
dickon25
Groupie

Thanks, Wallcraft, I'll have a go......