Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-03-2009, 09:12 AM   #1
Cap.T
Enthusiast
Cap.T has a spectacular aura aboutCap.T has a spectacular aura aboutCap.T has a spectacular aura aboutCap.T has a spectacular aura aboutCap.T has a spectacular aura aboutCap.T has a spectacular aura aboutCap.T has a spectacular aura aboutCap.T has a spectacular aura aboutCap.T has a spectacular aura aboutCap.T has a spectacular aura aboutCap.T has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kobo Glo, PRS-T1
Which one is better for Adobe ePub?

Hello everybody. I'm just getting into E-Books and discovered this forum yesterday. It has already helped me in finding out which Reader I'm propably going to get. I still have two question that I can't seem to find answers to. I hope you guys can help:

I'm either going to buy the PRS-300 or the PRS-505. I've read conflicting reports about the difference in speed for these two models. Some have said the the 300 is quicker because it is newer, others said that the 505 is faster when it comes to pdf. Most of the books that I'm interested in are in the format "Adobe ePub". Which reader is better for that format? The 300 or the 500?

And the second question: What is the difference in format between "Adobe ePub" and "Adobe Digital Edition". I assume there not the same, considering that Books on Board is selling both formats for the same book sometimes.

Thanks for your answers!
Cap.T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 09:42 AM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Adobe Digital Editions is the name of the software that reads PDF and ePub ebooks. Some stores call Adobe PDF ebooks just Adobe ebooks and others call them Adobe Digital Editions ebooks. Usually, an ePub ebook will be called Adobe ePub. If you have a choice, get the Adobe ePub version. The "Adobe" part is the DRM (encryption), a DRM-free PDF or ePub can be read by many different software packages and devices,

I have not seen a PRS-505 and PRS-300 side by side, but they have virtually the same hardware and software (even apparently the same year old version of mobile ADE software). If the PRS-300 appears faster, this might just be because it has less text per screen at the same font size.

Last edited by wallcraft; 11-03-2009 at 09:45 AM.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-03-2009, 04:25 PM   #3
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
If you're over 40, get the 505. If you're under 35, get the 300.

The 300 is newer, so will probably be supported longer. But the 505 has the bigger screen (although not more pixels), and is easier to read with older eyes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cap.T View Post
I'm either going to buy the PRS-300 or the PRS-505. I've read conflicting reports about the difference in speed for these two models. Some have said the the 300 is quicker because it is newer, others said that the 505 is faster when it comes to pdf. Most of the books that I'm interested in are in the format "Adobe ePub". Which reader is better for that format? The 300 or the 500?
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 12:20 PM   #4
upnseams
Enthusiast
upnseams began at the beginning.

Device: iPad Pro 11
I would like to ask if you can choose between the 300. 505 and 600 which would u get just for reading books. Nothing else. I am over 40 and have bad eyes. Just now getting into the ebook thing. I read books really and not newspapers or things like that.

can you buy books from Amazon for the Sony?
upnseams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 12:23 PM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
If ePub books are important to you, my honest advice would be not to buy a Sony Reader at all. All the Sony models currently have a very outdated ADE implementation which has severe limits compared with that used on other devices (eg, no full text justification, and a restriction on the size of the internal sections of books, called "flows"). There are much, much better devices around if reading ePub books is of importance to you.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-07-2009, 03:37 AM   #6
Jack__Flack
Jack__Flack began at the beginning.

Device: Bookeen Cybook gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
If ePub books are important to you, my honest advice would be not to buy a Sony Reader at all. All the Sony models currently have a very outdated ADE implementation which has severe limits compared with that used on other devices (eg, no full text justification, and a restriction on the size of the internal sections of books, called "flows"). There are much, much better devices around if reading ePub books is of importance to you.
So which one would you recommend?
Jack__Flack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 03:52 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Pretty much any other device with supports ePub. Any of the Hanlin V3/V5 clones, for example (BeBook, Astak, etc, etc); any of the Netronix devices which support ePub; there are lots to choose from, and all have much better ePub implementations than the Sony.

Don't get me wrong; the Sony is an excellent device for all sorts of reasons; I have one myself (a PRS-600); it's just not terribly good for ePub. It's not bad at it; it's just poorer than the others.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote