Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 06-24-2012, 07:00 AM   #76
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by wlaf View Post
And at last...We're Back!! :-)

Reading was so fast, but writing the image was slow and made me worry:
The eMMC device does not do "Write" (its micro-controller fakes it).
The underlying device is EEEProm (a lot of them, one per erase block).

For a "Write" of less than an erase block size;
The controller is doing:
"read, merge, erase, re-program".
If you had written to the device in erase block size chunks (bs=4096) then it would only have done:
"erase, re-program".
Rather than the longer merge cycle eight times for each erase block (default writes of bs=512).

Just as a note in case you ever have to do it again.

Last edited by knc1; 06-24-2012 at 07:03 AM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 08:42 AM   #77
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
So, it appears that the K3 serial recovery root PW is fionaXXXX (4 hex digits reconstructed from serial number), but the shell login (serial or SSH) uses the shadow fionaXXX (3-hex digits DES hash, that allows typing extra characters).
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-24-2012, 08:53 AM   #78
wlaf
Enthusiast
wlaf writes the songs that make the whole world sing.wlaf writes the songs that make the whole world sing.wlaf writes the songs that make the whole world sing.wlaf writes the songs that make the whole world sing.wlaf writes the songs that make the whole world sing.wlaf writes the songs that make the whole world sing.wlaf writes the songs that make the whole world sing.wlaf writes the songs that make the whole world sing.wlaf writes the songs that make the whole world sing.wlaf writes the songs that make the whole world sing.wlaf writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: Kindle 3 WIFI
Two more questions:
First: Is there a way to backup the NAND flash?
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawhill View Post
And as for ATK: You get your K3 into the required mode by holding the Vol- button during reboot. The K3 will present as a different USB device if successful.
It worked for me. Now I can connect using serial mode, but when I try to connect in serial mode, I need a driver for: "SE Blank RINGO". How I can find the driver?
wlaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 08:56 AM   #79
geekmaster
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Two more questions:
First: Is there a way to backup the NAND flash?

It worked for me. Now I can connect using serial mode, but when I try to connect in serial mode, I need a driver for: "SE Blank RINGO". How I can find the driver?
The driver is called libusb-win32. You can talk to the device in that mode with the Advanced Tool Kit, which you can download at freescale.com. It is the "equivalent" to USB Downloader mode on the newer kindles, but a different VID/PID.

Hawhill and I have played with it some, but we did not upload and run a custom u-boot image with it (yet). It should be able to flash firmware too, just like MfgTool, if you provide the "correct" config profiles...

You can also get to that mode with the K3 "magic key", which is "Vol-".

Last edited by geekmaster; 06-24-2012 at 09:00 AM.
Old 06-24-2012, 09:22 AM   #80
wlaf
Enthusiast
wlaf writes the songs that make the whole world sing.wlaf writes the songs that make the whole world sing.wlaf writes the songs that make the whole world sing.wlaf writes the songs that make the whole world sing.wlaf writes the songs that make the whole world sing.wlaf writes the songs that make the whole world sing.wlaf writes the songs that make the whole world sing.wlaf writes the songs that make the whole world sing.wlaf writes the songs that make the whole world sing.wlaf writes the songs that make the whole world sing.wlaf writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
The driver is called libusb-win32. You can talk to the device in that mode with the Advanced Tool Kit, which you can download at freescale.com. It is the "equivalent" to USB Downloader mode on the newer kindles, but a different VID/PID.
I'm looking in "windriver" folder of the Advance Toolkit. There's a mx35.inf that matches the VID/PID:
Code:
mx35.inf VID_15A2 PID_0030
that should be installed by invoking this command:
Code:
wdreg_gui.exe -inf mx35.inf install
But, unfortunately it says:
Code:
Can not run an x86 build of this utility on x64 platform.
Initializing driver failed.
Maybe I should try a 32 bit Windows XP in VMWare.

Last edited by wlaf; 06-24-2012 at 09:28 AM.
Advert
Old 06-24-2012, 09:32 AM   #81
geekmaster

Quote:
Maybe I should try a 32 bit Windows XP in VMWare.
That's what I use. My host OS is x64 too...

P.S. I think the libusb-win32 was for win32 fastboot, not MfgTool/AdvToolKit...

I think I used the default USB HID drivers, but in XP 32...

Last edited by geekmaster; 06-24-2012 at 09:35 AM.
Old 06-24-2012, 10:01 AM   #82
wlaf
Enthusiast

It seems that the source code of the advanced toolkit is available. Maybe It is possible to make builds for x64.

i.MX35 Product Development Kit (PDK)
Downloads
http://www.freescale.com/webapp/sps/...sign_Tools_Tab

Even when I was be able to intall I couldn't dump anything. I get:
Quote:
Failed to initial flash or Do not support this Flash, please reset the target
I don't know the exact parameters of address and size.

Last edited by wlaf; 06-24-2012 at 10:09 AM.
Old 06-24-2012, 12:47 PM   #83
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
It tries to upload a) SoC register init values, e.g. for configuring the RAM, and b) uploads a small firmware into memory, which is supposed to do the dumping/flashing. However, the predefined data for a) and for b) is fit for evaluation boards from Freescale, not for the Kindle. Thus, customized versions of these would be needed. Hard work.
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 02:09 PM   #84
geekmaster

Quote:
It tries to upload a) SoC register init values, e.g. for configuring the RAM, and b) uploads a small firmware into memory, which is supposed to do the dumping/flashing. However, the predefined data for a) and for b) is fit for evaluation boards from Freescale, not for the Kindle. Thus, customized versions of these would be needed. Hard work.
It should not be much harder than when I built the custom u-boot images for K4/K5 Select Boot. That was just a CD to the uboot directory and a ./configure (with just the right parameters), and a make. It build firmware image file (which contains the RAM init code and firmware image headers), ready to be loaded and run with MfgTool.

I suspect that the K3 is not much different (I hope). Someday, I may even get around to checking it out...

P.S. The Option flags needed to build the uboots is documented in "what we learned debricking my K4" thread linked in the first post of simple debricking...

My custom uboot images just replace the value with a constant after reading the idme bootmode var in the uboot source code. I have 3 versions (main, diags, fastboot). They do not SAVE the new bootmode var, but they do change how the system boots depending on those (forced) values. Simple and easy.

Oh... and I also fixed a bug in the uboot code, which I was sad to see remains broken in newer versions of the source code. They have serious case-conversion problems, so despite the code attempting to (incorrectly) force uppercase on serial numbers and such, it is best to type them correctly.

Last edited by geekmaster; 06-24-2012 at 02:15 PM.
Old 06-24-2012, 03:16 PM   #85
wlaf
Enthusiast

Quote:
Fortunately, ATK is well documented and the source code is available:

i.MX Advanced Toolkit Standard Version
User's Guide

http://www.freescale.com/files/32bit...=Documentation
(latest version bundled with the application)

Customizing the Freescale® Advanced Toolkit for i.MX Based Platforms
http://cache.freescale.com/files/dsp...ote/AN3985.pdf

Source Code
http://www.freescale.com/webapp/sps/...sign_Tools_Tab

It can be built with cygwin. But the quesition remains: Is the information available enough for creating the needed image?

As you've mentioned, in the user documentation we read:

Quote:
NOTE
If you have built your own library for the target board, you can specify a different Flash Model.
Users don’t have to know the specific type of NAND or NOR Spansion flash in use.

Last edited by wlaf; 06-24-2012 at 03:59 PM.
Old 06-24-2012, 03:38 PM   #86
wlaf
Enthusiast

The first step should be knowing the FLASH models. In compiler flags, we see:

Quote:
This section describes the complier flags.
• MCU—Indicates the type of i.MX SoC.
— mx31: i.MX31 chip
— mx32: i.MX32 chip
— mx27: i.MX27 chip
— mx35: i.MX35 chip
— mx37: i.MX37 chip
— mx51: i.MX51 chip
— mx25: i.MX25 chip
• REV—Indicates i.MX SoC revision version.
— to1: Revision 1
— to2: Revision 2
• FLASH_TYPE—Indicates the type of flash.
— nor: NOR Flash
— nand: NAND Flash
— mmc: MMC
— sd: SD

NOTE
mmc and sd are not available on all i.MX processors.
• FLASH_MODEL— Indicates the flash model
— spansion: NOR Flash S71WS256ND0/SG29GL512N
MCU is known: mx35.
REV? I don't know.
FLASH_TYPE? I'm focused on NAND (Am I right?) but others are important. What's exactly the NAND Flash used for Kindle 3? Do we have a detailed name and specification of it, like "SG29GL512N"?
This is the table from User's Guide:

Now I'm looking at Kindle 3 WIFI+3G disassembley. It may help find out more:
http://www.techrepublic.com/photos/a.../461275?seq=46

Btw, do you think we should start new threads for discussing ATK, custom kernels, etc or you feel comfortable here?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	flash_types.jpg
Views:	1171
Size:	177.5 KB
ID:	88268  

Last edited by wlaf; 06-24-2012 at 05:43 PM.
Old 06-24-2012, 04:05 PM   #87
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Btw, do you think we should start new threads for discussing ATK, custom kernels, etc or you feel comfortable here?
It would be a good idea.

Not NAND - eMMC
Would the manufacturer's product manual help?
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Tools_Index#Hardware

Specific parts numbers? Check out the fourth entry in this section:
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/K3_Index#Teardowns

Last edited by knc1; 06-24-2012 at 04:31 PM.
Old 06-24-2012, 10:40 PM   #88
geekmaster

How about a new thread "K3 recovery tools"
Old 12-23-2013, 07:15 AM   #89
wlaf
Enthusiast

Interesting! I didn't knew that hawhill continued his path to make a USB recovery possible, but he did:

Quote:
Yep! We can read (!) and write (!!) any single part of the MMC with bare Freescale SoC ROM-based USB downloader. So the K3 is now considered fully recoverable. It was actually very simple and not a big deal. I started out with a much more complex idea on it, and in the end it showed that the Freescale defaults did already fit the Kindle platform.
For those who may end up here, I should suggest to see this:

K3 USB Debricking Noob Guide (using USB)
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/K3noobdebrickatk

and the original thread:

Finding a recovery path with Freescale's Advanced Toolkit
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=183147

and If you're brave enough, you can test his k3flasher:

k3flasher, a USB download mode utility
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=184310

As hawhill said, "This is probably the end of serial K3 rescue". It's great to be here, a good place to learn more. :-)
Old 12-23-2013, 07:01 PM   #90
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Interesting! I didn't knew that hawhill continued his path to make a USB recovery possible, but he did:

For those who may end up here, I should suggest to see this:

K3 USB Debricking Noob Guide (using USB)
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/K3noobdebrickatk

and the original thread:

Finding a recovery path with Freescale's Advanced Toolkit
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=183147

and If you're brave enough, you can test his k3flasher:

k3flasher, a USB download mode utility
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=184310

As hawhill said, "This is probably the end of serial K3 rescue". It's great to be here, a good place to learn more. :-)
All of which has had a "Wizard" put in front of the manual operations and named: KUBRICK.

You can find that thread among the sticky threads of this forum.

Tags
boot, reboot, shell