Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-22-2013, 06:03 AM   #1
ete
ete began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Synchronization between different e-book reader

Hello!

I have a general question to you developers. Is there any possibility to make a script which synchronize the books and pages between two different readers (Kindle & Kobo) via WiFi? I'm quite familiar with Python.

Any hints are very appreciated!
Cheers and Merry Christmas!
Stefanie
ete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 06:49 AM   #2
aditya3098
Guru
aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe
Possibility: Yes
Is it easy: No
aditya3098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-22-2013, 11:20 AM   #3
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Make your job easier - use the same reader on both devices.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 07:09 PM   #4
rogerinnyc
Addict
rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Forma and Aura One; Kindle Voyage; Galaxy Note 10
Don't give up yet?

OK, I recognize that this is being discouraged, but, like Stefanie, I would love to support this tool being developed. I love my PW2, but on my Galaxy Note 2, MoonReader is a much better and full-featured app for reading than the Kindle app for Android. And I would love to keep those two in sync. MoonReader allows synchronization between Android devices via Dropbox, by sending a PO file (I admit, I have no clue what that is, but when opened with a text editor it's a single line of code). I'm not sure what type of file Amazon's whispersync creates, but I imagine (as a non-coder -- my last computer fluency was in Fortran) that a conversion program might be possible? I'll throw $20 into the kitty if anyone wants to tackle.
rogerinnyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 07:51 PM   #5
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Anyone who can create a tool to decode all the various proprietary annotations markups and translate between them is totally awesome and I'm sure will have everyone's thanks.

I WANT THIS!!!!
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-23-2013, 05:25 AM   #6
aditya3098
Guru
aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerinnyc View Post
I'm not sure what type of file Amazon's whispersync creates, but I imagine
This. Whispersync does not most likely use text files but a database.
Also, amazon uses their proprierary locations, whereas moonreader uses who knows what.
aditya3098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 11:38 AM   #7
ete
ete began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
If anybody can give me some resources about hacking/installing a script on Kindle and Kobo, it would be great.

They both store somewhere the books/position, so it is possible. What I want is to sent it via WiFi. Kindle allows emails, Kobo not.
ete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 02:26 PM   #8
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ete View Post
If anybody can give me some resources about hacking/installing a script on Kindle and Kobo, it would be great.

They both store somewhere the books/position, so it is possible. What I want is to sent it via WiFi. Kindle allows emails, Kobo not.
What do emails have to do with it? Those are for adding books to the PDOCS service.

amazon annotations are stored in the documents/*.sdr/ folders, and have the file extension azw3r/azw3f (KF8) or mbp1 mbs (mobi). They use binary data.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kindle, kobo, synchronization