Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 12-08-2012, 02:00 PM   #1
brainvision
Connoisseur
brainvision ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brainvision ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brainvision ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brainvision ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brainvision ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brainvision ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brainvision ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brainvision ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brainvision ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brainvision ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brainvision ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android Tablet, Kindle Paperwhite
Unhappy Storing libraries on external devices

Hi everybody..

In these last weeks my library always grown and now is giving me HD space problem, so that I must find some way to store elsewhere most of my digital collection.
So, I'm asking if is possible to store the Calibre libraries on external devices: I can easily imagine how to do that with external hard-disk (but it's only a maybe, I never tryed it and I don't know if it could work) but I wonder if it coud be possible to do such a thing on DVD, for example.. of course accepting the assumption to never edit books metadata..

Actually I really don't know which could be the better solution.. ideas, please?

Thank you very much for payng attention,
see you soon!
brainvision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 02:21 PM   #2
Adoby
Handy Elephant
Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Thinkpad E595, Ubuntu Mate, Huawei Mediapad 5, Bouye Likebook Plus
Yes, it is possible.

Just connect the external hard drive and create or move your library there.

The next time, make sure that the external hard drive is connected, and the path to the library is correct, the same as when you created the library, before you start calibre.

Also it may be a good idea to make sure you have good backups of your library.
Adoby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 02:36 PM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by brainvision View Post
Hi everybody..

In these last weeks my library always grown and now is giving me HD space problem, so that I must find some way to store elsewhere most of my digital collection.
So, I'm asking if is possible to store the Calibre libraries on external devices: I can easily imagine how to do that with external hard-disk (but it's only a maybe, I never tryed it and I don't know if it could work) but I wonder if it coud be possible to do such a thing on DVD, for example.. of course accepting the assumption to never edit books metadata..

Actually I really don't know which could be the better solution.. ideas, please?

Thank you very much for payng attention,
see you soon!
I have my Library on a USB (2.5") HD (It is set up with Calibre Portable, but I find better performance using the PC's Calibre on the Libraries Data).
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 08:41 AM   #4
triggerfish
triggerfish began at the beginning.

Device: Bebook
Wouldn't it be possible to have calibre ignore libs that are on external devices that are not connected and provide an option to attach or open an external library when the device attaches?
triggerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 09:15 AM   #5
Adoby
Handy Elephant
Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Thinkpad E595, Ubuntu Mate, Huawei Mediapad 5, Bouye Likebook Plus
The same functionality can be achieved by using the portable version of Calibre, then the program is installed and run from the external drive. For Windows it should be possible to launch calibre using the autorun/autoplay feature when the drive is plugged in.
Adoby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 09:26 AM   #6
Divingduck
Wizard
Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by triggerfish View Post
Wouldn't it be possible to have calibre ignore libs that are on external devices that are not connected and provide an option to attach or open an external library when the device attaches?
This is what you can do with the icon connect/share in Calibre. There you have the possibility to switch between libraries or connect to. I use this feature e.g. to move selected books from an USB-Stick to an existing PC based library where no sync-tool was installed.
Divingduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 09:53 AM   #7
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
I have my Library on a USB (2.5") HD (It is set up with Calibre Portable, but I find better performance using the PC's Calibre on the Libraries Data).
Haven't noticed this at all. On one of the PCs I use, running Calibre from USB is actually faster than a local install. Then again, my USB external drive is a SanDisk Extreme 240GB SSD inside a USB 3.0 enclosure.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 10:39 AM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
Haven't noticed this at all. On one of the PCs I use, running Calibre from USB is actually faster than a local install. Then again, my USB external drive is a SanDisk Extreme 240GB SSD inside a USB 3.0 enclosure.
Oooo! SSD Bet you also have USB-3

Mine (IDE) is a salvaged from a Laptop drive upgrade, used on a USB 2 only system (I run em' till they drop )
Old 12-10-2012, 12:52 PM   #9
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Kinda OT:
Quote:
Oooo! SSD Bet you also have USB-3
If you'll look at the above post again, it does specify USB 3.0.

Still, even running from USB 2.0 PC, the calibrePortable install on the external SSD is faster than a local install on a SATA3 Seagate 250GB HDD. I run multiple virtual machines from the external drives so an SSD was a must if I didn't want my system freezing every few minutes. Improved calibre performance was just a bonus.

Really OT:
Quote:
I run em' till they drop
I kinda do, too. Alas, with my propensity for high heat, ultra-small form factor builds, the "dropping" part happens more frequently than I'd like. Most computers in the house were actually built in 2007-2009. I had one build in 2011 (Zacate E-350 nettop) which overheated and got replaced recently. I've also two builds from 2007 fail about 1~2 months ago (fried MB: practically free ECS boards from Fry's MB+CPU combos) that really need to be replaced soon (mom's and dad's and they've been complaining already) probably with either Sandy or Ivy Bridge.

Last edited by ilovejedd; 12-10-2012 at 01:10 PM.
Old 12-10-2012, 03:02 PM   #10
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by brainvision View Post
I can easily imagine how to do that with external hard-disk (but it's only a maybe, I never tryed it and I don't know if it could work) but I wonder if it coud be possible to do such a thing on DVD, for example.. of course accepting the assumption to never edit books metadata..
I don't believe this part of your question was addressed. calibre GUI requires write access to the metadata.db file. With the current version of calibre GUI, you won't be able to open your library if it's stored in a read-only medium.
Old 02-15-2013, 08:56 AM   #11
brainvision
Connoisseur
brainvision ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brainvision ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brainvision ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brainvision ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brainvision ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brainvision ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brainvision ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brainvision ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brainvision ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brainvision ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brainvision ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android Tablet, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
I don't believe this part of your question was addressed. calibre GUI requires write access to the metadata.db file. With the current version of calibre GUI, you won't be able to open your library if it's stored in a read-only medium.
Really? I still didn't knew that! Thanks a lot!
brainvision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 10:59 AM   #12
phm92190
phm92190 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Unhappy Read-only libraries

Quote:
Actually, I would like to have the option to open a library read-only...
phm92190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 11:30 AM   #13
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by phm92190 View Post
Actually, I would like to have the option to open a library read-only...
Calibre content Server presents Calibre to a user via a read only Browser interface. Calibre must be running on the Host.
Old 04-05-2013, 11:06 AM   #14
cigarband
cigarband began at the beginning.

Device: generic
Hope this is the right place to ask this question.
I have about 3.3 gigs of epubs in my calibre 0.9.25 library , so i burned the library
folder to a DVD. Now calibre won't mount/recognize the library on the DVD, i guess
becouse it cant wright to it . I'm looking for a way to fix this.
cigarband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 12:47 PM   #15
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Calibre will not work with a library unless it has both read and write access to files in the library. As far as I know there is no way around this.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote