Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 01-18-2011, 12:58 PM   #16
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
Well hopefully the behind the scenes work will continue if that is the case.
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 01:07 PM   #17
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney's Mom View Post
This also means Amazon and ADE will start work on a new encryption method.
And break every device that's out there? I honestly don't think that's going to happen. Did the film studios change the CSS encryption system on DVDs when that was cracked? No, of course not, because every DVD player in the world would have stopped working.

We are not the typical eBook-buying crowd here. I have a number of friends with eBook readers; none of them would dream of removing DRM from their books.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 01:10 PM   #18
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
This also means Amazon and ADE will start work on a new encryption method.
I doubt it. That would be a huge, infrastructure-changing, expensive, complicated endeavor. I'm not saying they won't ever -- or aren't currently working on -- changing their DRM schemes, but it won't be because of this blog's popularity.

If the current DRM schemes change, it will probably be because of pressure from publishers. But I just don't look for any drastic changes anytime soon.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 03:55 PM   #19
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
As far as I'm concerned, no buying book if I can't de-drm. Period.
Hopefully it will follow the music way, and go DRM free at some point.

Publishers should be tankful with the people who made these scripts.

Last edited by EowynCarter; 01-18-2011 at 03:57 PM.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 06:10 PM   #20
wvcherrybomb
Sharp Shootin' Grandma
wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Fire, Literati (has been adopted by my daughter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
This is a grey area of the law. Many people are of the OPINION that DRM removal for personal use is not illegal in the USA, but until a case actually comes to court and a judge decides, nobody actually knows one way or the other.
There already has been a court case, the outcome of which is the personal/fair use exception. That stands as law, not opinion, until a higher court upholds or overturns it. (US)

Quote:
Originally Posted by screwballl View Post
Within the US: It is illegal to create a program/code that removes any sort of DRM or lock of digital material within the US, BUT it is NOT illegal for individuals to use them for personal use as outlined in the fair use exceptions of copyright law.
You are correct. My earlier comment was wrong as Alf does fall into a different catagory than us users.

Quote:
but why did everyone have to start yaking about it? We used to just say "google is your friend" Now we have ruined it for everyone.
I'd say that's a little dramatic. MR is just a forum among millions, not the Washington Post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EowynCarter View Post
Publishers should be tankful with the people who made these scripts.
I agree. I was hesitant to spend money on ebooks at all until I found out there was a way to be sure I could keep them. Now I buy, buy, buy.
wvcherrybomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 06:50 PM   #21
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
It is illegal to create a program/code that removes any sort of DRM or lock of digital material within the US
Actually, to be quite the stickler for detail here... I don't think the above statement is necessarily true. It's illegal to distribute such a program.

If (and I still think it's a great big "if" fest at this point) individuals are legally allowed to remove the DRM from their purchases for their own personal use, surely they could write their own personal scripts to do so?
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 08:36 PM   #22
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
Honestly, I don't think publishers really care about folks who extend library books, and instances involving a book an individual's paid for, as long as it's personal use only.

I'm not a lawyer, but I think it'd be awfully difficult to get a criminal conviction (requiring a unanimous jury verdict), and what sort of civil "damages" could they collect in a personal use case?

CYA for potential bootleg copies is more like it.
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 03:15 AM   #23
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Actually, to be quite the stickler for detail here... I don't think the above statement is necessarily true. It's illegal to distribute such a program.
That's right; it's distribution that's the key. What the DMCA actually says is:

Quote:
No person shall manufacture, import, offer to the public, provide, or otherwise traffic in any technology, product, service, device, component, or part thereof, that —

(A) is primarily designed or produced for the purpose of circumventing a technological measure that effectively controls access to a work protected under this title;

(B) has only limited commercially significant purpose or use other than to circumvent a technological measure that effectively controls access to a work protected under this title; or

(C) is marketed by that person or another acting in concert with that person with that person's knowledge for use in circumventing a technological measure that effectively controls access to a work protected under this title.
Alf is falling foul of the "offer to the public" clause regardless of whether or not he personally has written the software.
Old 01-19-2011, 12:34 PM   #24
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
Quote:
Originally Posted by wvcherrybomb View Post
I'd say that's a little dramatic. MR is just a forum among millions, not the Washington Post.
Well, in my day . . . I sent a PM to someone, asking for help. They asked me for a non-MR mailbox, because they didn't want this tied to MR. I thought that was good practice. I am a lawyer, and I see boogymen around every corner.

Some may not remember, but MR received one take down notice already.
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 09:35 PM   #25
CleverClothe
Guru
CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, Onyx Boox 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
That's right; it's distribution that's the key. What the DMCA actually says is:
Erm, Harry. Read the fourth word of that quote.
CleverClothe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 10:37 PM   #26
wvcherrybomb
Sharp Shootin' Grandma
wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Well, in my day . . . I sent a PM to someone, asking for help. They asked me for a non-MR mailbox, because they didn't want this tied to MR. I thought that was good practice.
It IS a good practice, but there are these same conversations taking place all over the internet in much more detail than MR allows. I would say that MR would be low on the list of sources for these articles. And posts here are certainly not solely responsible.

I would have understood the drama more if I had known you are a lawyer. I have nothing against them, as I have two family members who are attorneys, just saying they tend to blow things up a little ... my family members, I mean.
Old 01-19-2011, 10:41 PM   #27
wvcherrybomb
Sharp Shootin' Grandma

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleverClothe View Post
*cough*manfacture*cough*
Old 01-19-2011, 11:47 PM   #28
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Harry must be a speed reader
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 02:25 AM   #29
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Well, in my day . . . I sent a PM to someone, asking for help. They asked me for a non-MR mailbox, because they didn't want this tied to MR. I thought that was good practice. I am a lawyer, and I see boogymen around every corner.

Some may not remember, but MR received one take down notice already.
What I do fail to understand is: When you are so concerned, why do you discuss it ad infinitum in this board now. Even if I had not known before there is something, err, let's call it legally questionable, you'd have me made more than aware with your lamenting in two different threads.

Do you really think this helps?
Poppaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 04:15 AM   #30
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleverClothe View Post
"Manufacture". What about it?