Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

View Poll Results: Which books are your picks for the April 2014 MobileRead Book Club selection?
Sister Carrie by Theodore Dreiser 7 20.00%
Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoyevsky 10 28.57%
The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde 16 45.71%
The Wonderful Wizard of Oz by L. Frank Baum 13 37.14%
The Twelve Chairs by Ilya Ilf and Eugine Petrov 5 14.29%
The Bridge of San Luis Rey by Thornton Wilder 7 20.00%
Gulliver's Travels by Jonathan Swift 7 20.00%
Uncle Tom's Cabin by Harriet Beecher Stowe 8 22.86%
The Jungle Book by Rudyard Kipling 8 22.86%
Three Musketeers by Alexandre Dumas 10 28.57%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-01-2014, 04:39 PM   #31
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
I just finished reading 21% of The Uncensored Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde, which is to say I read the Preface, The General Introduction, and the Textual Introduction. Now I'm at the point where the Wilde's story actually begins. I don't think I'd have time to read the annotated version, but that's just as well. I couldn't afford the $52.23 for the annotated version.

Even so, I couldn't resist this version, which I just saw and ordered.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 04:47 AM   #32
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
Would this one (0,99€) be the right one to read along?
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-02-2014, 05:01 AM   #33
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by samhy View Post
I was wondering that too. I think, though, that if you want the Frankel version (which I'd prefer), you need to buy this one. Of course, it's about 13 times the price . Just been looking for some kobo discount codes, but no luck so far.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 07:22 AM   #34
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by samhy View Post
I'm suspicious of that one. It claims to contain the uncensored version, but the write-up looks as if it contains both the original PUBLISHED (censored by the original editor) edition and the later, toned-down expanded edition. I think if you're looking for the uncensored Nicholas Frankel version you might be disappointed. Nevertheless, which version you choose to read for the discussion is up to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
I was wondering that too. I think, though, that if you want the Frankel version (which I'd prefer), you need to buy this one. Of course, it's about 13 times the price . Just been looking for some kobo discount codes, but no luck so far.
Some good new on that: It appears to be a Kobo DAILY DEAL. The Uncensored Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde (Nicholas Frankel, ed.) is selling today at Kobo for $9.39 (27% off the list price). Not as good as the ridiculously low Amazon price of $2.84, but not too shoddy.
Old 04-02-2014, 07:38 AM   #35
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
Some good new on that: It appears to be a Kobo DAILY DEAL. The Uncensored Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde (Nicholas Frankel, ed.) is selling today at Kobo for $9.39 (27% off the list price). Not as good as the ridiculously low Amazon price of $2.84, but not too shoddy.
Yes, I just bought it from Kobo for £6.71. I had a discount code too, but accidently clicked the purchase immediately option so didn't get my discount...
Advert
Old 04-02-2014, 08:04 AM   #36
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

What kills me is that the Wilde/Frankel uncensored version at Amazon appears to be the exact same book that's selling everywhere else for around 4 times the price. I suspect Amazon miss-priced the book, but who am I to complain?
Old 04-02-2014, 03:51 PM   #37
orlok
Close to the Edit!

Quote:
What kills me is that the Wilde/Frankel uncensored version at Amazon appears to be the exact same book that's selling everywhere else for around 4 times the price. I suspect Amazon miss-priced the book, but who am I to complain?
Couldn't find it on the UK Amazon site, so was forced to Kobo.

When does the discussion commence? (I know if I go read the first post, it's probably there, but where's the fun in that?)
Old 04-02-2014, 03:54 PM   #38
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
I'm suspicious of that one. It claims to contain the uncensored version, but the write-up looks as if it contains both the original PUBLISHED (censored by the original editor) edition and the later, toned-down expanded edition. I think if you're looking for the uncensored Nicholas Frankel version you might be disappointed. Nevertheless, which version you choose to read for the discussion is up to you.
I got the Frankel version because I thought the same thing.
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 05:01 PM   #39
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
...When does the discussion commence? (I know if I go read the first post, it's probably there, but where's the fun in that?)
I'm just no fun.

Quote:
April 2014 MobileRead Book Club Vote

... We will start the discussion thread for this book on April 20th....
Discussions (as well as the next month's nominations) always start on the 20th.
Old 04-02-2014, 07:38 PM   #40
orlok
Close to the Edit!

Quote:
I'm just no fun.

Discussions (as well as the next month's nominations) always start on the 20th.
Old 04-04-2014, 11:38 PM   #41
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
So I've finished and will wait until the 20th to have any in-depth discussion, but I'll just comment that it was both better and worse than I expected.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 07:24 AM   #42
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Interesting comment. I can't wait until the 20th to see how you expand on it.

I'm a little more than half way through. I haven't decided yet whether to read the expanded version when I finish to see how it compares with the uncensored version, but I did get the graphic novel from Marvel and plan to read that by the 20th. I can see why the uncensored version made his American publisher so nervous. What seems tame by today's standards shocked his Victorian contemporaries. The 19th century was not ready for Oscar Wilde.
Old 04-05-2014, 08:13 AM   #43
pynch
why in?
pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Aura
For those who are interested in the 13-chapter version that was published in a magazine in 1890, I have added it to the epub of the Complete Works.
pynch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 09:15 AM   #44
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pynch View Post
For those who are interested in the 13-chapter version that was published in a magazine in 1890, I have added it to the epub of the Complete Works.
Even though it was heavily censored by the publisher, that was the version that got him in trouble. The longer version was really watered down.