Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 07-01-2013, 12:07 AM   #46
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
We're not talking here about differences between versions of Android, but the limitations imposed by the capabilities of the eInk screen. You're never going to be able to sensibly play "Angry Birds" on this device, no matter what version of Android you're running. The screen simply can't do it.
eInk can be used to play Angry Birds.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 01:26 AM   #47
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I'm not talking about technology demonstrations, Jon, but devices which are on the market today. Anyone who buys this device expecting to be able to play "Angry Birds" on it is going to be disappointed.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-01-2013, 07:45 AM   #48
latepaul
Wizard
latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a variety (mostly kindles and kobos)
I'd happily sacrifice the ability to play Angry Birds* for decent battery life. I want an eInk phone!

*I'll admit I was addicted to it for a while but I've long since moved on
latepaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 02:24 AM   #49
doubleshuffle
Unicycle Daredevil
doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura HD (R.I.P. After six years the USB socket died.) tolino shine 3
I'm sure you can play Fluffy Butterflies on the Tolino.
doubleshuffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 01:12 PM   #50
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Quote:
I suspect that it's a rather small market.
Onyx is releasing a line of e-readers that says you're wrong. They are marketed as e-readers with android benefits. I think they also come with a noflash mode out-of-the-box, though that might only be a prototype.

I use a Nook to do a lot of work on. The beauty of it is I can do it in the park in sunlight. I mainly edit text and work with spreadsheets. I have felt no urge to play Angry birds on it, nor am I likely to.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-06-2013, 05:49 AM   #51
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizla View Post
Onyx is releasing a line of e-readers that says you're wrong. They are marketed as e-readers with android benefits. I think they also come with a noflash mode out-of-the-box, though that might only be a prototype.
That's my point - that they are marketed as reading devices, not as general-purpose Android tablets. Marketing an eInk device as a general-purpose tablet would be a recipe for disaster.
Old 07-07-2013, 06:01 AM   #52
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Tolino Shine Hacked

It's been hacked and runs Android 2.3, which is an upgrade on 2.1 which the Nook STR runs. In addition, it has a front-light. I await with interest to see if the root is stable. At 99 euro, it would make a nice little tablet that can be read in sunlight for the tech-savvy. Another question is if it can be run with noflash (i.e. smooth, LCD-like animation). Nate the Great sensibly suggests its based on the Onyx hardware, which I believe is stable as an Android tablet and includes noflash animation. Hmm. I wonder what it would cost to ship from Deutschland.

How long will it be before we start seeing e-readers marketed as e-ink tablets? IMO this would significantly alter the current e-reader market.
For whatever reasons, shipment from Germany (or most other European countries) to the US is way cheaper than the other way around.
For a unit like that, shipment from the US to Germany would be about $ 40.
From Germany to the US via DHL is about $ 15 (!!): http://www.dhl.de/en.html
For VAT and customs in the US I have no experience, only the other way around. From the US to Germany, customs and VAT would be about 25%.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 07:56 AM   #53
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
That's my point - that they are marketed as reading devices, not as general-purpose Android tablets. Marketing an eInk device as a general-purpose tablet would be a recipe for disaster.
Why would it be a disaster? You sound increasingly like Sir Humphrey Appleby.
Old 07-09-2013, 08:14 AM   #54
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Why would it be a disaster? You sound increasingly like Sir Humphrey Appleby.
It would be a disaster because the average man in the street does not understand the limitations of eInk screens, and would expect a "tablet" to be able to play YouTube videos, watch films, play their favourite video games, etc.
Old 07-09-2013, 08:41 AM   #55
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
It would be a disaster because the average man in the street does not understand the limitations of eInk screens, and would expect a "tablet" to be able to play YouTube videos, watch films, play their favourite video games, etc.
Exactly.
I have one rooted Nook Simple Touch and it makes very poor tablet. You can install a few reading apps, such as coolreader but that is it. Android 2.2 is quite old and you can't install apps on the card, only to the limited memory.

I have also purchased a *very* cheap (50USD new) LCD tablet with 9" screen that was marketed as a reading device. Even that device is a disaster as a tablet. An old version of Android, combined with poor display [according to the today standards], resistive touch, small memory... .
It works so-so as a cheap reading device.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 10:30 PM   #56
Rizla
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post
Exactly.
I have one rooted Nook Simple Touch and it makes very poor tablet. You can install a few reading apps, such as coolreader but that is it. Android 2.2 is quite old and you can't install apps on the card, only to the limited memory.
The Nook can run a lot more than just Coolreader. Here's a start:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1176313

Add Orion pdf reader to that. I think it will run Whatsapp but I haven't tried yet. Oh, and I can read on it. Oh, and it runs 2.1, not 2.2. There are a lot of apps that run on 2.1.

To use a rooted Nook effectively, you have to get under the hood. You can't just root it and it will work great. I've been surprised by the lack of a centralized knowledge-source on how to effectively tune a Nook post-root. You need to know what you're doing.

Last edited by Rizla; 07-09-2013 at 10:34 PM.
Old 07-09-2013, 10:39 PM   #57
Rizla
Member Retired

Quote:
I agree an e-ink Android tablet might be disastrous, but for totally a different reason.
Old 07-15-2013, 09:58 AM   #58
ndixon
Mostly Harmless
ndixon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ndixon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ndixon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ndixon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ndixon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ndixon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ndixon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ndixon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ndixon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ndixon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ndixon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4, Nook Simple Touch
Quote:
Just remind potential customers that it's black & white only. If they're expecting to gawk at Angry Birds, Temple Run, YouTube and all that other jazzy stuff, they'll just walk away.
ndixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 04:10 AM   #59
Lorphos
Librie lab rat
Lorphos plays well with othersLorphos plays well with othersLorphos plays well with othersLorphos plays well with othersLorphos plays well with othersLorphos plays well with othersLorphos plays well with othersLorphos plays well with othersLorphos plays well with othersLorphos plays well with othersLorphos plays well with others

Device: Tolino Vision 4 HD
The Tolino Shine was (is?) on sale at Tchibo.de for 70€ and there is a 10€ voucher bringing the price down to 60€. I finally bought one :-)
Lorphos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 11:19 PM   #60
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorphos View Post
The Tolino Shine was (is?) on sale at Tchibo.de for 70€ and there is a 10€ voucher bringing the price down to 60€. I finally bought one :-)
I saw that, but isn't that the older model? I must admit I haven't kept up on the Tolinos at all.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote