Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-27-2012, 07:12 PM   #61
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
@sparklemotion, those smudge marks are similar those spots I had pn ow of my units. They looked bighter than the rest, and seemed to be somewhere in between the screens. One looked loke a flower with three petls, and one was just round.
Maybe the factory workers are just plain sloppy.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 08:02 PM   #62
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Restart?

Quote:
Originally Posted by xendula View Post
@sparklemotion, those smudge marks are similar those spots I had pn ow of my units. They looked bighter than the rest, and seemed to be somewhere in between the screens. One looked loke a flower with three petls, and one was just round.
Maybe the factory workers are just plain sloppy.
Xendula,

Did you ever try: Menu \ Settings \ Menu \ Restart?

There is a slim chance a Restart from the Menu may jiggle the LED power in such a way as to eliminate those color blotches and other screen irregularities.

I haven't seen a post here yet that anyone tried that.

Its possible that jars in the shipping have temporarily altered the proper lighting effects of the four LED's and a Restart of the firmware may correct the problem.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-27-2012, 08:24 PM   #63
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Sirmaru, I just did, green and pink blotches are still there, same intensity.
Old 10-27-2012, 09:22 PM   #64
tmf2
Zealot
tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
I think the two of you will probably get some good units this time, but if you do I caution others to not take for granted that Amazon has found a real solution. Only when most of the people who receive replacements start reporting good units will I believe Amazon has actually fixed the problem.
I think your spot on. They will cherry pick some new units for them but I don't believe it will be safe yet to purchase.
tmf2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 10:04 PM   #65
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Best bet - give up on replacements

Quote:
Sirmaru, I just did, green and pink blotches are still there, same intensity.
Xendula,

You've tried lots of replacements. Obviously, its not working. Just return the PW for a refund and buy a brand new one. Maybe you will get one from a different lot.

Obviously, all those defective replacements are coming from the same, bad production line.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-28-2012, 02:05 AM   #66
xendula
eBookworm

@sirmaru, I have two new ones shipped my way. They'll be here on Tuesday.

@tmf2, not sure if they will be cherrypicked for us, but I sure hope they simply enhanced the manufacturing process.
Old 10-28-2012, 11:35 AM   #67
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
@tmf2, not sure if they will be cherrypicked for us, but I sure hope they simply enhanced the manufacturing process.
That's what I'm hoping, xendula. I'm not sure how much cherrypicking will help us really as I do believe they all suffer from the color hues to some extent or another. I guess we'll see how it goes. I'm actually nervous about getting the darn thing and looking at it.
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 12:29 PM   #68
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparklemotion View Post
That's what I'm hoping, xendula. I'm not sure how much cherrypicking will help us really as I do believe they all suffer from the color hues to some extent or another. I guess we'll see how it goes. I'm actually nervous about getting the darn thing and looking at it.
I hope Hurricane Sandy doesn't eat your latest PW! Really bad storm regardless of Bloomberg's stance on it, I hope you get to safety to ride it out.
Old 10-28-2012, 01:13 PM   #69
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I hope Hurricane Sandy doesn't eat your latest PW! Really bad storm regardless of Bloomberg's stance on it, I hope you get to safety to ride it out.
Thanks Jack. I'm pretty prepared for the storm over here. I'm in upstate New York so hopefully we won't get anything too bad in this area. Fingers crossed.

To all the mobile read peeps in Sandy's path - stay safe everyone!
Old 10-28-2012, 04:38 PM   #70
xendula
eBookworm

Quote:
I'm in RI, so it culd hit hard. It makes me nervous that the PWs will be delivered on Tuesday, since they announced rain throughout the week. Hope they'll make it into my greedy hands in a dry state.
Old 10-28-2012, 04:39 PM   #71
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered

Good luck, xendula! I hope you get it ok.
Old 10-29-2012, 05:09 PM   #72
Blessedx5
Blessedx5 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Blessedx5 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Blessedx5 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Blessedx5 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Blessedx5 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Blessedx5 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Blessedx5 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Blessedx5 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Blessedx5 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Blessedx5 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Blessedx5 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Sony prs650
Sparklemotion, any news of Fed Ex coming today? Have been wondering if your PW came? So hoping you are pleasantly surprised!
Blessedx5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 06:45 PM   #73
xendula
eBookworm

Despite Hurricane Sandy, I received my two replacements today. One day early!

• The box they came in was very different, and they were taped onto a cardboard sheet inside the box.
  • The black boxes had a G inside the tree logo.
  • The color blobs are still present, though not as bad.
  • The contrast is much improved (darker black) , and the font is MUCH clearer.

The negative:
  • One has two black spots underneath the screen that are always black.
  • One has those white smudges all over the bottom tenth of the screen (see Sparkle's photo) and countless (!) dead pixel type spots in the bottom half of the screen.

One of them did not have any editor's picks on the screen until after a few minutes. I was all excited for a second, but then they came on.

When I look at the font, it appears that they have changed something about their manufactoring process. I will post comparison pics later. I really like this, as long as there is ambient light. I'll try them both in the dark tonight and make a decision about which ones to keep or what else to do. Sigh. I feel a bit defeated.
Sparklemotion, what about yours?

Last edited by xendula; 10-29-2012 at 06:48 PM.
Old 10-29-2012, 06:47 PM   #74
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered

Mine came this afternoon and it looks pretty good so far. No glowing specks or black specks that I have seen yet which is what bothered me the most. As for the color hues, I wouldn't say there aren't any, as I still see some, but it's nothing that bothers me. Overall to me it looks pretty good. Far better than my last one.

I think if it stays like this I'll definitely be keeping it. I'll include a pic. Light is at 24. It looks a lot better in person than in the pic, I will say.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	test.jpg
Views:	424
Size:	61.9 KB
ID:	95131  
Old 10-29-2012, 06:50 PM   #75
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered

I'm glad you got yours, xendula! I'm sorry yours have spots though. My box also had the G in the tree too. Is it because they are 3G units? Mine were not taped into the box. Did yours come with quick start guides?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blessedx5 View Post
Sparklemotion, any news of Fed Ex coming today? Have been wondering if your PW came? So hoping you are pleasantly surprised!
Thanks for your good wishes!

Last edited by sparklemotion; 10-29-2012 at 07:02 PM.