Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-12-2010, 12:45 PM   #1
happy_terd
Banned
happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS 420
question about downloaded books

I recently purchased the SONY reader PRS-600, I love it. I purchased a bunch of old classics and a few new releases from the sony reader store for what I consider a fair price. One of the books I purchased works just fine when I view it on my computer, but does not show up properly on my reader. It has a "?" between a lot of the words.

I downloaded the book a second time and the problem with the same book still occurred. The book cost me 15 bucks, is there any fix for this? The book is in the same format that all of the other books I downloaded from the store is in.

I was just wondering if this is a known problem with the reader. I do not think the book is to blame based on the fact that I can view it fine with the reader library software on my PC.

Thanks for any input that can be given.
happy_terd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 01:15 PM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
The "?" are probably soft-hypens (i.e. invisible characters to tell the reader where to break a word if necessary). The Sony eBL handles soft hypens on the Desktop, but I know the PRS-505 does not and I'm not surprised that the PRS-600 also fails. So the problem is the ebook, and since it is from the Sony store it should definitely not include soft hyphens.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-12-2010, 01:29 PM   #3
happy_terd
Banned
happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
The "?" are probably soft-hypens (i.e. invisible characters to tell the reader where to break a word if necessary). The Sony eBL handles soft hypens on the Desktop, but I know the PRS-505 does not and I'm not surprised that the PRS-600 also fails. So the problem is the ebook, and since it is from the Sony store it should definitely not include soft hyphens.
Thanks a bunch for this bit of information. I looked up this soft hyphen issue you mentioned and it looks like that is indeed the case. Now I can actually do a bit of research about the problem and hopefully find a means of getting it corrected.
happy_terd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
a happy_terd production