Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

View Poll Results: desertblues Vote • August 2014, Multiple Choice
The Song of Roland 5 45.45%
Journey to the West by Wu Cheng'en 4 36.36%
The White Castle by Orhan Pamuk 8 72.73%
Max Havelaar, or the Coffee Auctions of the Dutch Trading Company by Multatuli 3 27.27%
Sea of Poppies by Amitav Ghosh 7 63.64%
Palace Walk by Naguib Mahfouz 2 18.18%
The House of the Mosque by Kader Abdolah 5 45.45%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-08-2014, 05:37 AM   #16
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I haven't decided how I'm voting yet, but I'm glad I checked out The White Castle from FLP when I saw it was available, just in case.
FLP? Closest I could find by Googling is either Foreign Languages Press or Free Library of Philadelphia?

(or Fruity Loops Project, but I somehow doubt that's it...).
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 09:40 AM   #17
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
FLP? Closest I could find by Googling is either Foreign Languages Press or Free Library of Philadelphia?

(or Fruity Loops Project, but I somehow doubt that's it...).
Free Library of Philadelphia, ergo free to a good home, if temporarily.

Don't think I haven't noticed that if you hadn't voted with my encouragement, a book I wanted would have been in a tie with your choice. No good deed goes unpunished!
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-08-2014, 10:46 AM   #18
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Don't think I haven't noticed that if you hadn't voted with my encouragement, a book I wanted would have been in a tie with your choice. No good deed goes unpunished!
Old 08-08-2014, 03:41 PM   #19
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
Quote:
...Don't think I haven't noticed that if you hadn't voted with my encouragement, a book I wanted would have been in a tie with your choice. No good deed goes unpunished!
Overall, lucky you though - I’m not even sure when the last time was that a book won that you didn’t vote for!
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 03:50 PM   #20
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
40% code perkopolis still works - The White Castle is couponable (at least in the UK)
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-08-2014, 04:06 PM   #21
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
I've got a hold in at my library but I'm first in line so it shouldn't take long to catch up.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 04:20 PM   #22
orlok
Close to the Edit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by paola View Post
40% code perkopolis still works - The White Castle is couponable (at least in the UK)
Which site does this apply to paola?
Old 08-08-2014, 05:45 PM   #23
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
Which site does this apply to paola?
Not Paola, but the site is Kobo. perkopolis is also multi-use.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 03:11 PM   #24
desertblues
Home for the moment
desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: various
Quote:
Originally Posted by sun surfer View Post
I added that in at the bottom of that spoiler because I noticed the major title and length discrepancies while looking it up on Goodreads; I think it was the only thing I added in to any of desertblues' spoiler descriptions.

I haven't researched much, but from what I did see, the abridged "Monkey" version is around 300 pages while the complete version seems to be around 2,000 pages. (...):
Quote:
Ordinarily abridged books are against my religion, but I think it's the only realistic option, at least for me, in this case. I assume Monkey is worth reading on its own merits.
Quote:
There's a newer abridged translation than Monkey which I've borrowed from Overdrive, called The Monkey King's Amazing Adventures. I'd like to read the whole shebang, but I couldn't manage it for a timely discussion!(...)
Well, back again from the cycling and at last some decent wifi.
I managed to follow the voting and discussion and thank you all for your contributions. At the same time I do apologize for the mix-up about 'Journey to the West'. I did read the whole of the book, but in my enthousiasm for the book I didn't think to mention the excellent abridged version by Arthur Waley.
For this reason I have to thank Sunsurfer for the explanation and very useful links to the book.

And some excuses to Issybird. Of course I wouldn't want the bookclub to read all of the 4 books in a few week....the books merit a more leisure reading.... But for the ones who plan to read them all, it is worth it. It's 'flowery' language and descriptions of heavenly things may feel akward for the Western mind in the beginning, but I got to like it very soon.
I feel this book is of importance in getting a feel for the the Asiatic countries but foremost China. In this aspect it is comparable to the epic of the Mahabharata and Ramayana for India and its cultural sphere of influence( and which I encountered in Indonesia as well in the tales of the Wajang).

Having said all this, I am happy that the White Castle by Orhan Pamuk seems to have the most votes (is the voting over?). I reread it last month and enjoyed it even more a second time, although it needs some 'munching' over. (as a book of some merit should....).

Last edited by desertblues; 08-09-2014 at 03:14 PM. Reason: grammar, of course
desertblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 07:46 PM   #25
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
Welcome back desertblues and I do hope you had a good time. Yes, the winner is The White Castle, and I got it from Kobo, with the help of the perkopolis code. I'm looking forward to reading it. I think I shall be reading some of the other books on your list too. Thank you again for such an interesting theme and choice of books.
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 05:49 AM   #26
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookpossum View Post
Welcome back desertblues and I do hope you had a good time. Yes, the winner is The White Castle, and I got it from Kobo, with the help of the perkopolis code. I'm looking forward to reading it. I think I shall be reading some of the other books on your list too. Thank you again for such an interesting theme and choice of books.

this goes for me too, another wonderful list, I love this club!
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 11:12 AM   #27
BelleZora
Wizard
BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kobo Libra 2
Just discovered I missed this whole discussion and vote due to busy-ness. What a great list, desertblues, and I look forward to reading The White Castle.
BelleZora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 11:20 AM   #28
orlok
Close to the Edit!

Quote:
Yes, the winner is The White Castle, and I got it from Kobo, with the help of the perkopolis code.
Yay! I'm pretty sure this is the first time one I have voted for has won, so I look forward very much to reading it next.
Old 08-11-2014, 05:29 AM   #29
fantasyfan
Wizard
fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, 4G, iPad Air 2, iPhone IE
Quote:
I also appreciate that interesting choice desertblues!

Thanks for the code Bookpossum! I have the Kobo app on my iPad and phone so I can read it comfortably that way.
fantasyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 05:41 AM   #30
orlok
Close to the Edit!

I may have missed it somewhere, but when is the reading/reviewing going to happen?