Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 04-06-2008, 11:59 PM   #1
macphersondh
Enthusiast
macphersondh has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.macphersondh has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.macphersondh has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.macphersondh has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS505
Book summary

I tend to buy lots of books in one session and by the time I come round to reading them have often forgotten the substance of the plot.

I suggested to Sony a couple of years ago, that when a book downloads it would be a good idea to also download the summary so the user can decide which book to read at any given time.

I guess I'll have to carry on wishing... as I can't see anyway anyone could develop this feature other than Sony and their reply was "lukewarm" at best.

David.
macphersondh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 04:25 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
libprs500 automatically downloads a summary (if available) when you fetch metadata for the books from the internet.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-09-2008, 12:41 PM   #3
astrodad
Guru
astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Paperwhite 1, iPad, iPhone
But is that summary available anywhere on the device?
astrodad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 12:19 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Nope though I could make it so it would be available under the comments section of the LRF file metadata on the device.
Old 04-10-2008, 10:25 AM   #5
astrodad
Guru
astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

That would be really cool. I have the code and I'll try it and compare it to yours, if and when you put it in.
Advert
Old 04-11-2008, 08:07 AM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Can you open a ticket for it, I'm not doing any actual development until I return on the 26th, so I'll probably forget otherwise.
Old 04-11-2008, 09:32 PM   #7
Lilly
Guru
Lilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-900 & PRS-950, Amazon Kindle2
Quote:
Originally Posted by macphersondh View Post
I tend to buy lots of books in one session and by the time I come round to reading them have often forgotten the substance of the plot.

I suggested to Sony a couple of years ago, that when a book downloads it would be a good idea to also download the summary so the user can decide which book to read at any given time.

I guess I'll have to carry on wishing... as I can't see anyway anyone could develop this feature other than Sony and their reply was "lukewarm" at best.

David.
Funny; I requested the same thing from Sony. It's just ridiculous that e-books don't come with the book summary. I read a lot of fictions and this is a big negative for me.
Lilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 09:55 AM   #8
astrodad
Guru

Created a ticket for it: https://libprs500.kovidgoyal.net/ticket/643

Still would like a way to have it viewable from within the device. I didn't see where the comments are being used now.
Old 04-15-2008, 02:05 PM   #9
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Kindle person here, but I agree it would be GREAT to have the plot summary available. (Even if you guys aren't doing it for my Kindle )
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 06:27 PM   #10
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
Quote:
Originally Posted by macphersondh View Post
David: I do this for myself with swipe/copy/paste from the web site into a text file. If I'm buying a series, I put all the description info (and the sequence in which the books are to be read) into a single text file. When I download books from FeedBooks, I just capture the "list" such as the Allan Quartermain list of books at http://www.feedbooks.com/list/view/7
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 01:29 AM   #11
macphersondh
Enthusiast
macphersondh has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.macphersondh has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.macphersondh has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.macphersondh has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS505
That's a good idea Elsi!

In absence of Sony doing anything useful about this, I'll try your solution.

David.
macphersondh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 11:27 AM   #12
astrodad
Guru

Another option is to create summary files for the books and put them into their own collection on the device. That way when you want to get a summary, just browse to collections and find the summary for the book you want to read. It would be nice if it were automated.
Old 12-21-2008, 08:21 PM   #13
halfsek
halfsek began at the beginning.

Device: sony 505
Another option (or, maybe just a different way of saying what jplumey suggested) is to create a "book" with the chapters being the individual summary of you're looking for.

Basically, I made a file in Google Docs with an alphabetical summary of all of my books- Title of book then the summary for it. Then I created a table of contents in Google docs for that file.

Downloaded as .html.

Imported it into Calibre. Used Calibre to covert it into an EPUB file (LRF didn't seem to work). Selected 'forced table of contents.'

And that's it. When the reader opens it, the whole file is considered one book. But the individual summary is considered a chapter. That way you can see the name of the book in the table of contents- allowing you to jump directly to the book you want rather than having to scroll through an ever 'enlargening' file every time you want to want to find out about a book on your reader.

Then again, if someone has found a way which didn't take them, oh, about 5 hours of trial and error. Just don't laugh too hard at my wasted day.

I have to say Sony, you disappoint me. If the whole idea is to have my library in my reader, then I can't be expected to remember every single book that's in there.
halfsek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 08:25 PM   #14
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
I think this is all the publishers, not Sony. If I'm not mistaken, the publishers are the ones who give Sony the books.

If I'm mistaken, please let me know.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote