Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-31-2013, 08:16 AM   #136
shanghaichica
Guru
shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe,Kindle Oasis 3, iPad Pro 11, iPhone 13 Pro Max,iPad mini 6, PW5
Yeah I much prefer Lisa Gade from mobile Tech or Nathan from the ereader but at the moment good ereader have the only video reviews.
shanghaichica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 08:49 AM   #137
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
So does the new Aura have a metal bezel like the prototype did? It is hard to tell from the video if it is polished metal or just shiny plastic.

Very misleading to compare with a Glo running old firmware too. A lot of the differences they point out would disappear if they would just update the Glo, adjust some settings, and load the same books.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-31-2013, 09:07 AM   #138
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre 1, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle, Kobo Libre Colour
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
So does the new Aura have a metal bezel like the prototype did? It is hard to tell from the video if it is polished metal or just shiny plastic.

Very misleading to compare with a Glo running old firmware too. A lot of the differences they point out would disappear if they would just update the Glo, adjust some settings, and load the same books.
Yes it was at least 2 firmware upgrades in the past! How ridiculous. I watched the comparison...with no sound! I never listen to those guys.

I like the look of the device (the flat screen). For half price, I would be tempted to get one. So maybe next year. At this time I am very happy with my Kobo Glo.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 10:22 AM   #139
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripplinger View Post
For me it's their voices. Michael sounds like he talks while someone is holding his nose closed.

Actually they both have very "nasaly" and high-pitched voices to me, both of which I find annoying in reviews.

And after listening to the review anyway, doesn't the Kindle Paperwhite have capacitive touch? They go on praising that the Kobo Aura is the very first capacitive touch e-ink screen.

And all I see still is a lot of wasted space in the text.

There's really nothing about the new Aura that tempts me in the least. Especially the bit shinier finish which gives more glare.
For me it's partly that they're basically idiots and partly because they take 16 minutes for a video that has 5 actual minutes of information.
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 10:34 AM   #140
buffaloseven
Watching the Sky
buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
I think the biggest benefits to the Aura (having never touched one myself) are the new screen with fewer refreshes (and it seemed a smidge clearer w/better contrast), smaller size while maintaining the 6" form factor, and the improved responsiveness of the capacitive screen, including multi-touch gestures.
buffaloseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-31-2013, 10:44 AM   #141
psv
Connoisseur
psv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.psv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.psv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.psv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.psv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.psv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.psv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.psv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.psv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.psv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.psv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo aura h2o, remarkable
In the videos there was one big difference between (the new) Aura and Glo: the speed of dictionary lookup. Is it just because the Glo was with an old firmware? The painfully slow dictionary was the main reason why I decided not to buy a Glo last December, despite the gorgeous screen. My (relatively) old sony PRS350 has a dictionary which is much faster (and also more complete). There is another thing with the dictionary: if the lookup fails, sometimes it's enough to delete a couple of characters from the end of the word. On Glo (when I tried it) it was very complicated (on PRS350 it's easy). Did this thing get improved in more recent firmwares on Glo (or on Aura HD)?

One thing I don't like about the new Aura - the header is even bigger than on Glo (the screen is not so big that it should be filled with useless information; I have the feeling that the 5" sceen of PSR350 is showing as much text as this 6" screen). And when they talk about the "pdf experience" - how about automatic margin crop? Pocketbook 360 could do it!
psv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 12:04 PM   #142
anacreon
Guru
anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa, Sage
One thing which interested me in the video is the return to library button bottom left: if they have improved the navigation, I hope it will be available for older models. Poor navigation is what annoys me most on Kobos compared to Sonys, before dictionaries and PDFs (though I'm definitely not interested in the T3).
anacreon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 01:35 PM   #143
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
I'm definitely interested to see T-3 actual features not rumors that could be right or wrong.
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 04:05 PM   #144
shanghaichica
Guru
shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe,Kindle Oasis 3, iPad Pro 11, iPhone 13 Pro Max,iPad mini 6, PW5
Verses the Paperwhite

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NcC9BywDgYM

They are still insisting on the fact that the Aura has the first capacitive touch screen. Yet they contradict themselves later on.
shanghaichica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 07:36 PM   #145
rxmom03
Addict
rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pixel 8, iPad Air, Kobo Aura One, Kobo Clara 2E
I really like the 2-finger swipe to control the light, the refresh rate and the pinch-and-zoom. Are these things that other Kobo ereaders could get with a FW update (specifically the Aura HD) or would they have more to do with the hardware/screen?
Basically I am trying to decide between the Aura HD and the Aura 6" without getting to lay hands on either one before I buy (sadly, it is 2 hours away from the nearest independent store that sells Kobo ereaders). For me, if the Aura HD could have all these updates, that would be wonderful!

Mary
rxmom03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 08:27 PM   #146
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanghaichica View Post
Verses the Paperwhite

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NcC9BywDgYM

They are still insisting on the fact that the Aura has the first capacitive touch screen. Yet they contradict themselves later on.
I think he meant that the screen flush with bezel capacitive screen is the first.

Also:
Quote:
...some new features indicative to only the Kobo
I don't think that word means what he thinks it means. Normally I wouldn't criticize but that wasn't the first time he's said it.
Old 08-31-2013, 08:30 PM   #147
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by rxmom03 View Post
I really like the 2-finger swipe to control the light, the refresh rate and the pinch-and-zoom. Are these things that other Kobo ereaders could get with a FW update (specifically the Aura HD) or would they have more to do with the hardware/screen?
Basically I am trying to decide between the Aura HD and the Aura 6" without getting to lay hands on either one before I buy (sadly, it is 2 hours away from the nearest independent store that sells Kobo ereaders). For me, if the Aura HD could have all these updates, that would be wonderful!

Mary
I think that most of the features that you mentioned are dependent on a capacitive screen. If that's what you're into I would suggest going with the Aura. For me the only real advantage of the HD is the added screen real estate.
Old 08-31-2013, 09:12 PM   #148
TechniSol
GranPohbah-Fezzes r cool!
TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STRs, Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
The Neonode IR hardware is supposed to be able to support pinch and zoom, I believe it was incorporated in other Neonode based readers. Why it was never incorporated in the Kobo models is a very good question. It might be due to an omission or mistake in the hardware interface to the Neonode hardware. But, there are lots of questions concerning firmware features that might have been developed and never were implemented like an OVERRIDE button in the menus that would force the rendering of epubs with the user settings, etc. In all fairness, pinch to zoom is really a high level cool feature for a touch interface, but you don't have to have it. It just indicates a level of sophistication in the interface design.
TechniSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 09:48 PM   #149
rxmom03
Addict
rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pixel 8, iPad Air, Kobo Aura One, Kobo Clara 2E
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck_in_Japan View Post
I think that most of the features that you mentioned are dependent on a capacitive screen. If that's what you're into I would suggest going with the Aura. For me the only real advantage of the HD is the added screen real estate.
Thanks!
rxmom03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 11:06 PM   #150
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck_in_Japan View Post

I don't think that word means what he thinks it means. Normally I wouldn't criticize but that wasn't the first time he's said it.
ARGH I hear you. Also, "PDF is the oldest and most popular format on the internet" (gah, no), "backlight", "backlight", and "backlight". (I'm watching the Aura/Paperwhite comparison.) If you can't remember, why not just say "light"? It's not that hard. Also, it's called PANNING, not ZOOMING, when you move around a PDF without changing the size. (Again, over and over and over.)
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote