Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 02-08-2008, 11:35 PM   #1
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Mobipocket Decoder Tool

I apologize in advance for the frustration this will cause.

There is a new DRM stripper for Mobipocket ebooks out on the web. It's written in Python, and it works. Unfortunately, I can't help you find it.

Our forum policy on DRM removal tools is that I can mention the name, and give vague instruction on how to find it. I can't provide a link to the tool. Unfortunately, the new tool doesn't have a name yet. In fact, it hasn't been released or announced or anything. What I have is not the tool, but the source file. A link to the source was posted by a member. The source file is currently on www.pastebin.com. Look there if you want, I doubt you will find it.

So here I am. I can't tell you the name or location, just that it exist. That's not very helpful, I know. I'm sorry.

P.S. I like our forum policy. This is the first time that I've been blocked from helping people.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 11:39 PM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
I've tried it on the freebie 'Around the world in 80 days' from Fictionwise & it works quite well.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-09-2008, 01:12 AM   #3
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
It is interesting that all this takes is a 150 line python script.

Based on the source code, it should be called mobidedrm.py:
Code:
print  "MobiDeDrm v0.01. Copyright (c) 2008 The Dark Reverser"
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 05:39 AM   #4
darkninja
darkninja will become famous soon enoughdarkninja will become famous soon enoughdarkninja will become famous soon enoughdarkninja will become famous soon enoughdarkninja will become famous soon enoughdarkninja will become famous soon enough

Device: none
MobiDeDrm

There's a new tool for all mobipocket users out there called MobiDeDrm. It's written in Python, and can apparently be found through a google search.
darkninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 06:40 AM   #5
FixB
Groupie
FixB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.FixB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.FixB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.FixB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.FixB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS500
That's quite frustrating : I'm apparently not that good at googling hidden stuff
FixB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-09-2008, 06:50 AM   #6
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
So that means that the MobiPocket format now has the same status as the lit format. It is a format you can buy things in since you then can convert it to anything else. So now the Sony Reader definitely has most books available to buy.

Last edited by tompe; 02-09-2008 at 09:01 AM.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 07:45 AM   #7
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Could you give us mobi decoder rings instead ? if you could put them inside cereal boxes that would be perfect. also then maybe we could all have secret identities and wear capes while making (or un-drm-ing) ebooks. that would make me really happy.

Last edited by zelda_pinwheel; 02-09-2008 at 07:46 AM. Reason: clicked "post" by accident
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 10:44 AM   #8
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FixB View Post
I'm apparently not that good at googling hidden stuff
Google "pastebin MobiDeDrm". All you get is the source code for a Python program, so you may have found it without realizing what you had.
Old 02-09-2008, 10:44 AM   #9
ProfJulie
Evangelist
ProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-books

Device: whatever
The last time a Mobipocket decoder was available, it was shut down pretty quickly with the threat of a lawsuit, so don't expect this one to be available for a long time.

You won't find it searching through the link that Nate provided, but there are other clues in his posting that will help you figure out where to look. It took me about 30 minutes last night to figure it out.

The decoder works a treat! And it's funny, but I feel like my DRM Mobipocket books are worth more to me now and I'm more willing to spend the money on them because now I know I will not be constrained in using them - I never realized how much I hate DRM.
ProfJulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 11:04 AM   #10
captaingeorges
Zealot
captaingeorges will become famous soon enoughcaptaingeorges will become famous soon enoughcaptaingeorges will become famous soon enoughcaptaingeorges will become famous soon enoughcaptaingeorges will become famous soon enoughcaptaingeorges will become famous soon enough

Device: Cybook, Iphone32g, ipad, Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfJulie View Post
The last time a Mobipocket decoder was available, it was shut down pretty quickly with the threat of a lawsuit, so don't expect this one to be available for a long time.

You won't find it searching through the link that Nate provided, but there are other clues in his posting that will help you figure out where to look. It took me about 30 minutes last night to figure it out.

The decoder works a treat! And it's funny, but I feel like my DRM Mobipocket books are worth more to me now and I'm more willing to spend the money on them because now I know I will not be constrained in using them - I never realized how much I hate DRM.
More clues please... I must be stupid...
captaingeorges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 11:09 AM   #11
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
But wasn't that because copyrighted code was used? In what respect is this program different from ConvertLit that has not been removed?
Old 02-09-2008, 11:16 AM   #12
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
The magic word "m40582493" might help in locating it...
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 11:18 AM   #13
ProfJulie
Evangelist
ProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-books

Device: whatever
Quote:
Originally Posted by captaingeorges View Post
More clues please... I must be stupid...
Anemic Oaks posting was a pretty big clue for me (thanks Anemic Oaks).

Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe
But wasn't that because copyrighted code was used? In what respect is this program different from ConvertLit that has not been removed?
I don't know much about the specific reason the other decoder was removed. This decoder is really not a program at all. It is lines and lines of Python code that is not compiled into a program, so you'll need to install Python to your computer (http://www.activestate.com/Products/activepython/) before you can run it. Nonetheless once you connect all the dots, it is fairly easy to run and works quite well. It does not extract the HTML files like converlit, it only removes the DRM.

Last edited by ProfJulie; 02-09-2008 at 11:30 AM.
ProfJulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 11:42 AM   #14
tompe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I don't know much about the specific reason the other decoder was removed. This decoder is really not a program at all. It is lines and lines of Python code that is not compiled into a program, so you'll need to install Python to your computer (http://www.activestate.com/Products/activepython/) before you can run it. Nonetheless once you connect all the dots, it is fairly easy to run and works quite well. It does not extract the HTML files like converlit, it only removes the DRM.
Well, it is a program. It is just not in a form that is directly executable. To execute the program you have to run an intepreter.

convertLit as i understand it constists of two part. One part that only remove the drm. And one part that pakes a drm free lit file and explode it.
Old 02-09-2008, 11:47 AM   #15
wallcraft
reader

This also seems to work on AZW files by the way:
Code:
mobidedrm infile.azw outfile.mobi KindlePID
Amazon.com has got out of the e-book selling business before, leaving its e-book buyers with no way to move e-books to new devices. So it is comforting to know that there is a work around (at least for AWZ books) if they decide that there won't be a Kindle II or that Kindle I e-books are not transferable to Kindle IIs.

Tags
conversion, drm, formatting, mobipocket