Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe

Notices

Old 05-31-2012, 07:51 PM   #31
Filark
Armed with a smile :)
Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: enTourage eDGe & Pocket eDGe, Samsung Galaxy Note II
That's an old thread really worth bumping, Gunner, thanks! I hope I can find it again if my sound ever goes out!

I keep Elixir widgets on my home screen for easy reference. Another thumbs up for a good utility app.

Welcome to MobileRead, Songoffire!

Last edited by Filark; 05-31-2012 at 07:55 PM.
Filark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 12:55 AM   #32
songoffire
songoffire began at the beginning.

Device: Pocket Edge
Thanks for the warm welcome and the advice! Sound is definitely not disabled, and I have tried multiple VOIP/SIP apps including GrooveIP, great suggestion though, I know this has helped others with the same or similar sound issue. I still love my pocket edge, everywhere I go people ask "What is that, and how can I get one?!", I would love it more though if I could get the built in speakers to work...

Measures attempted to resolve the issue (So Far) ...
Reboot
Check if sound is disabled and volume levels
Golden Update
VOIP / SIP calls (outbound and inbound)

Last edited by songoffire; 06-01-2012 at 12:58 AM. Reason: Add additional information
songoffire is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-01-2012, 03:31 AM   #33
Filark
Armed with a smile :)
Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: enTourage eDGe & Pocket eDGe, Samsung Galaxy Note II
Did you click on the link in Gunner's post? He found more aspects of the PE sound system by looking at it in Elixir.

Good lluck! Keep going!
Filark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 01:59 PM   #34
tekknogenius
Groupie
tekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheese

When my sound volume was low and would not increase much I installed the volume control (http://www.appbrain.com/app/volume-c....volumecontrol) program from market and had to turn up the in-call volume. That fixed the issue. It seems that if the in-call volume is turned off your PE will lose it's sound too even though we do not have phone capabilities.
tekknogenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 03:58 PM   #35
Gunnerp245
Gadget Freak
Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EE, Note 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by tekknogenius View Post
When my sound volume was low and would not increase much I installed the volume control (http://www.appbrain.com/app/volume-c....volumecontrol) program from market and had to turn up the in-call volume. That fixed the issue. It seems that if the in-call volume is turned off your PE will lose it's sound too even though we do not have phone capabilities.
From the app pictures it access the controls i found hidden with Elxir.
Gunnerp245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-01-2012, 09:39 PM   #36
tekknogenius
Groupie
tekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheesetekknogenius can extract oil from cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnerp245 View Post
From the app pictures it access the controls i found hidden with Elxir.
I was just trying to emphasize that the volume control that was the key to change was the in call volume. This is particularly interesting since the PE does not have a phone option and it seems to be the master volume (even above the system volume).
tekknogenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 03:57 PM   #37
songoffire

Thanks for the tip, unfortunately the Elixr controls didn't solve the problem. What's odd is that every once in a while (about the time I decide to give up on the speaker problem) my Edge speaker will emit a quick high pitch beep. I think it may be mocking my attempts to fix it, lol. If you come across any additional tips, resources, or suggestions I would be in your debt.

I suspect that issuing direct java commands to my edge like the public void setWiredHeadsetOn may help to fix it (since it seems to always think a headset is plugged in), but I dont know where to go to issue these commands...
Old 06-13-2012, 08:08 AM   #38
Georgey
Georgey began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by songoffire View Post
I could get the built in speakers to work...

Reboot
Check if sound is disabled and volume levels
Golden Update
VOIP / SIP calls (outbound and inbound)
Concerning the VoIP technology - I guess it is hard for the mobile phones to compete with the VoIP of home phones - there is a big difference in quality between smart phones and the VoIP for home phone systems. I have bought a phone here which I can also use for internet calls (since I got it, it saves a lot of money, as I almost stopped calling landlines ) and it works flawlessly: sound, connection and all, and the multiline options are really useful, too. And after all, the home phone devices are also made for mobility at home. Will probably take a while until they get that done for mobile phones that well, it is a very complicated system.

Last edited by Georgey; 06-15-2012 at 10:35 AM.
Georgey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 11:18 AM   #39
songoffire

Quick update on the no sound issue:
Still no sound through the built-in speakers, although headphones and bluetooth continue to work fine.

1. Reboot
2. Hard Reset
3. Check if sound is disabled/muted and volume levels
4. Reinstalled the -Golden- Allmine Update
5. VOIP / SIP calls (outbound and inbound)
6. Installed Elixr to confirm that all volume levels are @ 100% (Thanks Gunner)
7. Installed ToggleHeadset(2) to manually enable/disable the headset sensor
8. Installed Volume, Volume Control, and Volume Control+ to confirm volume levels

Possible Leads
1. One interesting note is that when I check volume levels with Volume Control it tells me that "An unrecognized audio route is currently enabled"
2. The wireless headset on indicator in Elixr does not change when I plug in and unplug my wired headset. This setting does change when I use the headset toggle widget, but there is no effect on sound.
Old 06-14-2012, 01:32 PM   #40
ivanjt
Guru
ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle dx; eDGe
From what you describe it sounds as if you have a mechanical problem with the headphone socket.

These sockets are designed with very simple switches in them - actually just bits of springy metal that make contact to the internal speakers when the plug is removed. These contacts can be problematic, to say the least, and can stop working for any number of reasons, from dirt build up on the contact surfaces to loss of springiness and/or distortion caused by the plug being pulled yo one side for some reason.
ivanjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 10:03 AM   #41
songoffire

Quick Update...

I have the sound issue fixed (kind of) via a work around... picked up a HDMI JAM external bluetooth speaker from Best Buy which is working wonderfully. What still wierds me out though is that after enabling "Screen Lock Sounds" in the sound settings I can clearly hear the internal speaker make the unlock sound every time I unlock the screen using the slider... very odd. Once the screen is unlocked however the speaker seems to remember that it is not allowed to work, lol.