Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-08-2011, 07:13 PM   #31
RobbieRobot
RobbieRobot began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Wow. Thanks for all the replies. This is such a helpful community. I've found a nice leather case which looks like it will give me plenty to hold on to. I find this current trend to "thinness" to be quite asinine. Low weight is good in a e-reader, but thin with sharp edges? Give me fat and comfortable any day.
RobbieRobot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 07:23 PM   #32
Histerius
Zealot
Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Kindle 3 - Galaxy Tab 10.1
I dare to say you can't find such good people anywhere else, mobileread is among top three forums among millions of them.
Histerius is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-08-2011, 10:16 PM   #33
billmilo
Connoisseur
billmilo has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi
I had to read a paper book recently, and found it uncomfortable to hold and read.
billmilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 11:25 AM   #34
spacemonkey
Enthusiast
spacemonkey doesn't litterspacemonkey doesn't litter

Device: kindle 3 wifi
Generally I find this community to be great, and you clearly all love your kindle.

One thing I've noticed however, is that there are some people (myself included) who like reading their kindle nude. Personally I take a fairly relaxed attitude to gadget safety, and feel that this is a matter for personal preference.

However, in this community, there often seems to be a strong view that I (and others) are bad parents and should be locked up for our casual view of care for our kindles...

SM
spacemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 11:41 AM   #35
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by billmilo View Post
I had to read a paper book recently, and found it uncomfortable to hold and read.
It can be kind of a nuisance sometimes, I agree.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-09-2011, 12:13 PM   #36
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
My Wife has a K3 and I have the original Kindle classic. I find the classic much nicer to hold with the rubberized back and to turn pages with the nice large easy to hit buttons.

I think it is a shame that Amazon bowed to all the "fugly" and "to easy to hit buttons" crowd, people that didn't even buy the kindle.

I wish they would offer a K with the Perl screen and software features in the original form factor.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 12:35 PM   #37
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I've had a 500, 505 and now I have a 650. I would never be without a cover. In fact, the cover makes the Reader easier to hold. I would expect the same to be true of a Kindle. And please ignore the stupid adverts that show people doing all kinds of stupid things with a naked K3. No eink reader should be without a proper cover. A sleeve is not a substitute for a cover. Don't let some of the others on the forum fool you into thinking a sleeve is all you need.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 12:36 PM   #38
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I've had a 500, 505 and now I have a 650. I would never be without a cover. In fact, the cover makes the Reader easier to hold. I would expect the same to be true of a Kindle. And please ignore the stupid adverts that show people doing all kinds of stupid things with a naked K3. No eink reader should be without a proper cover. A sleeve is not a substitute for a cover. Don't let some of the others on the forum fool you into thinking a sleeve is all you need.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 01:16 PM   #39
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
I think it is a shame that Amazon bowed to all the "fugly" and "to easy to hit buttons" crowd, people that didn't even buy the kindle.
I'm with you. I like the ergonomics of the Kindle 1 better than that of the 2 or 3.
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 01:26 PM   #40
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by spacemonkey View Post
Generally I find this community to be great, and you clearly all love your kindle.

One thing I've noticed however, is that there are some people (myself included) who like reading their kindle nude. Personally I take a fairly relaxed attitude to gadget safety, and feel that this is a matter for personal preference.

However, in this community, there often seems to be a strong view that I (and others) are bad parents and should be locked up for our casual view of care for our kindles...

SM
there's really only one that has that issue and they own a sony. not sure why they haunt the kindle forums and terrorize kindlers

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
My Wife has a K3 and I have the original Kindle classic. I find the classic much nicer to hold with the rubberized back and to turn pages with the nice large easy to hit buttons.

I wish they would offer a K with the Perl screen and software features in the original form factor.

BOb
I was happy with the K1 design (especially the back!) but hated the page turn buttons! I was ALWAYS accidentally hitting them

Quote:

seriously. go preach at the sony users
:deadh orse:: deadhorse:
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 01:40 PM   #41
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieRobot View Post
I love the technology of my Kindle 3, but its not comfortable to hold. When I'm not unintentionally flipping pages, I've pressed a key and began a search, or the sharp thin bottom corners are digging into the palms of my hands.
I find the K3 to be too thin to hold comfortably, whereas the lighted leather cover feels great.
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 03:24 PM   #42
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
I use a sleeve for my K3 but I read it in pretty specific places, like the bed, the airplane seat, and other non-moving areas. I find it wasy to hold and have not had any accidental page changes.

If I were to start to commute to work using mass transit, I would buy a cover because I wouldn't want to risk breaking my Kindle on the Metro.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 06:17 PM   #43
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!
GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K-Fire, PW2, PW3
Quote:
I've had a 500, 505 and now I have a 650. I would never be without a cover. In fact, the cover makes the Reader easier to hold.
Seriously, if the OP wanted info on your Sony, they would have posted in the Sony forum. Hey, why don't you go check!
GoSharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 06:43 PM   #44
Mark Rehorst
was engr, now dentist
Mark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic something

Device: Kindle DXG
I like to ride bare-back, but the slippery back cover of the Kindle is a problem if I set it down on a non-level surface, such as the arm of a couch or chair. I had a silicone skin for my K2 and it worked great but always go full of cat hair and dust and added considerable weight to the device.

I have ordered some bath-tub type non-slip plastic stickers for the back cover of my DXG so it won't slide when I don't want it to.

I use a neoprene case when the Kindle is not in use and carry it in a laptop bag that has a padded compartment for my laptop which I rarely carry around anymore. I think the ideal case would be neoprene with a hard panel to cover the screen. I'll probably add a piece of masonite or maybe even aluminum to my neoprene case and then I'll be all set.
Mark Rehorst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 07:06 PM   #45
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I'm really gung-ho about gadget safety. Put me in the unprotected and wild category.

I have dropped my Kindle and I have damaged it and I'm still not making any attempt to protect it. So I guess I'm just beyond saving.

When I'm sitting up I have no issues whatsoever with the comfort of the Kindle. I hold it quite lightly and it's quite frankly a dream to read on. It is, however, a bit more awkward when I'm in bed. I'm one of those lie-on-the-side people and I find it a bit harder to work with. I end up with this strange handhold where I use my little finger to turn the pages.

I can't compare with other readers on this though as Kindle 3 was my first and only eReader.

Regards
Caleb
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
comfort, kindle 3