Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Fictionwise eBookwise

Notices

Old 09-02-2008, 04:16 PM   #76
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ret View Post
I'm using EBW1150 with version 4.2f17 (updated it last week) and cannot surf the web from ebooks.
I rechecked using privoxy and I CAN surf to google Canana News link. I don't know if there's something going on in impserve's HTML parsing process. Maybe the file gets larger? I certainly don't know.
Uninstall privoxy. You don't need it anymore. Then go into Phone Connection (in Settings), and change the HTTP proxy port to 9090.

Then try to access your bookshelf again.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 05:03 PM   #77
nrapallo
GuteBook/Mobi2IMP Creator
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: REB1200 EBW1150 Device: T1 NSTG iLiad_v2 NC Device: Asus_TF Next1 WPDN
Quote:
I'm using EBW1150 with version 4.2f17 (updated it last week) and cannot surf the web from ebooks.
I rechecked using privoxy and I CAN surf to google Canana News link. I don't know if there's something going on in impserve's HTML parsing process. Maybe the file gets larger? I certainly don't know.
I have the same firmware version on my EBW1150 and also cannot surf the weblinks WITHIN a .imp ebook. It just resets.

However, surfing the 'net from the content/index.html works well; just that the EBW1150 is memory-constrained and crashes when it surfs 'too much', I think. EDIT: I want to confirm that this "crashing" is also exhibited when using the other 'surf the internet' method, Linreb+privoxy!

IF privoxy is enabled, can you THEN surf the 'net from the WITHIN a .imp ebook? What port configurations are you using for impserve, privoxy, and EBW1150 to make that happen! Was 'Google.ca News' the only link that worked? how about the wiki page?

Ret, you always seems to have a solution that works!!!

Last edited by nrapallo; 09-02-2008 at 05:25 PM. Reason: added: this "crashing" also occurs when using Linreb+privoxy!
nrapallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 05:12 PM   #78
ashkulz
Addict
ashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle 1/REB 1200
Hmm, you might want to contact ETI and ask if you can get 4.2f22 for the EBW-1150: the changelog that I saw included mention of fixes in the 1150 device also
ashkulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 11:16 PM   #79
ashkulz
Addict
ashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enough

Great news from Garth at ETI:
Code:
We have opened up f22 for all users now. 
So, the upgrade should be offered, or you could use the instructions below.

Best,
   Garth
So please try the Menu > Bookstore > Directory > Customer Support option and let us know if the upgrade works!
Old 09-02-2008, 11:25 PM   #80
nrapallo
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrapallo View Post
Re: link to REB1200 4.2f22 firmware upgrade. Can you post it here? Never mind, Garth has already uploaded it for download here! Talk about a class act!
Quote:
OK, good news for REB1200 users. To be able to surf links from WITHIN a .imp ebook, upgrade your firmware to the latest (v4.2f22) at the ETI migration page here. Just download the firmware .zip and expand the file into the root of an empty CF card (just to be safe). Follow the instructions and in less than five minutes you will be up and running again. If you had already registered your unit, then your User ID will be left intact and you WILL NOT not have to re-register your unit! All your exisiting ebooks are unaffected by this upgrade!

Now, some good news for EBW1150. We've seen that firmware 4.2f17 doesn't work yet with impserve and links WITHIN a .imp ebook. However, if you launch impserve (use port 9090) and then launch privoxy (listen to port 8118, by default), then the EBW1150 does surf the links within a .imp ebook. However, you must uncheck the 'Use HTTP proxy' setting on the EBW1150 just before you call that external link. It appears that privoxy takes over for impservve now and helps facilitate the redirect better than impserve does. I checked my next.imp ebook's link to the mobileread wiki page and it worked! Now to find out why!

I think this is what Ret was referring to above! While this is a kludge it does indicate that the EBW1150 can be made to works (in a limited way) in this situation despite it's firmware version.
Old 09-02-2008, 11:36 PM   #81
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Except that my 1150 has 4.2f17, and I got links to work.
Old 09-02-2008, 11:38 PM   #82
nrapallo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashkulz View Post
Great news from Garth at ETI:
Code:
We have opened up f22 for all users now. 
So, the upgrade should be offered, or you could use the instructions below.

Best,
   Garth
So please try the Menu > Bookstore > Directory > Customer Support option and let us know if the upgrade works!
Something seems missing here for the EBW1150 with firmware 4.2f17. All I get at the end is the Customer Support page (like this), with no option to download the latest firmware, anywhere.
Old 09-02-2008, 11:40 PM   #83
ashkulz
Addict

Hmm, I'd appreciate it if Ret and nrapallo could post logs of both impserve and Privoxy so that I can help to debug it... there must be something in your environment that is different from Nate's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrapallo View Post
Something seems missing here for the EBW1150 with firmware 4.2f17. All I get at the end is the Customer Support page (like this), with no option to download the latest firmware, anywhere.
I don't know if there is a 4.2f22 for the 1150, I'm just guessing -- they might be using seperate version numbers for it (especially if they pushed an update last week).

Last edited by ashkulz; 09-02-2008 at 11:44 PM.
Old 09-03-2008, 12:01 AM   #84
nrapallo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
Except that my 1150 has 4.2f17, and I got links to work.
Does the above bold part of your message refer to links WITHIN a .imp ebook (and reproducible multiple times) as well as links from the content/index.html webpages.

Which ebook(s) did you try. I tried the next.imp and got the wiki page, Mobileread mobi page, GEBLibrarian home page working ONLY once I deactivated the 'Use HTTP proxy' setting, but left the 'Use proxy for USB' setting checked (and was using privoxy). Weird!

I run privoxy FIRST, then impserve with my local IP address and use port 9090. Privoxy listens on port 8118 and forwards *.ebooksystem.net to port 9090.

My same set-up (WinXP SP2) works with the REB1200 and by using privoxy with the EBW1150. I captured some logs using impserve with privoxy, but couldn't distinguish why it worked. I noted where I got a reader crash, specifically when I didn't use privoxy (as a safety net...).

Hope this helps narrow it down.

EDIT (09-03-2008): new logs to correct fact that privoxy is run before impserve to get this to work! Now 'third try' log is with NO privoxy software installed on my system and with impserve using host 127.0.0.1; just like Nate the great used! I can now surf links WITHIN a .imp ebook, but not for long before I see that 'crash'.

Last edited by nrapallo; 09-03-2008 at 12:36 AM. Reason: forgot to say run privoxy first, then impserve to make this kludge work!
Old 09-03-2008, 12:21 AM   #85
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

I've been navigating to MobileRead from a link inside the short story _Scroogled_. It doesn't work all the time, only about 75% (and the previous version works better than the most recent).

The settings I use are the ones I describe over in the front page thread. All I use is impserve (and python, of course). I don't use privoxy.

Also, I have used next.imp. The links in it worked.
Old 09-03-2008, 12:22 AM   #86
ashkulz
Addict

do you have a proxy configured in internet explorer to use privoxy? impserve picks up your proxy settings from IE (which is automatically done by urllib, which I use).
Old 09-03-2008, 12:23 AM   #87
ashkulz
Addict

Quote:
I've been navigating to MobileRead from a link inside the short story _Scroogled_. It doesn't work all the time, only about 75% (and the previous version works better than the most recent).

The settings I use are the ones I describe over in the front page thread. All I use is impserve (and python, of course). I don't use privoxy.

Can you tell me which version worked better (linreb, or an older impserve version)? Also, can you post a log of where it fails so I can improve it
Old 09-03-2008, 12:38 AM   #88
ashkulz
Addict

Also, I'd like to make a suggestion: let's move the internet access related issues to the thread created by Nate, so the solution/problem is known to everyone who may not read this thread to the very end [Plus that mentions the 1150 only, which is what we're having trouble with -- the 1200 seems to work fine once you upgrade to 4.2f22]
Old 09-03-2008, 12:40 AM   #89
nrapallo

Quote:

Nate:

I tried mimicing your set-up and it worked great.

I uninstalled the privoxy software from my system and rebooted. I also changed from using my local IP address for the EBW1150. Now I run impserve using host 127.0.0.1 (and port 9090). I can now surf links WITHIN a .imp ebook, but not for long before I see that 'crash'. Some webpages are probably too much for the EBW1150; that's OK, we'll stay away from them...
Old 09-03-2008, 12:43 AM   #90
nrapallo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashkulz View Post
Also, I'd like to make a suggestion: let's move the internet access related issues to the thread created by Nate, so the solution/problem is known to everyone who may not read this thread to the very end [Plus that mentions the 1150 only, which is what we're having trouble with -- the 1200 seems to work fine once you upgrade to 4.2f22]
I agree, but after we nail this down between us pioneers... I'll post a quick how-to if we can get this working as Nate and I have just done (see previous message from both of us!).

Time to move it over already...