Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 08-12-2012, 01:48 PM   #1006
Abtacha
Addict
Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pax View Post
May I ask after which book of the series you became a fan of it?
I just read the first two books and I am quite impressed by the sheer number of passionate Dresden Files fans in so many literature forums.
I don't know. I read the first book and was pretty sure I wanted to read the rest. The book that really stood out for me though was Dead Beat.
Abtacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 06:31 PM   #1007
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
I just read the first two books and I am quite impressed by the sheer number of passionate Dresden Files fans in so many literature forums.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abtacha View Post
I don't know. I read the first book and was pretty sure I wanted to read the rest. The book that really stood out for me though was Dead Beat.
Same here, except Summer Knight was my "first" favorite.

Dresden has a lot of the elements I enjoy: Magic, "creatures", wit, humor, flawed but likable/lovable characters... It is also very well written and "believable". I can easily picture Harry fighting the demon in the rain.

As for Ghost Story, it did feel different and it was not my favorite, but I see it as the transitional point I beleive it is supposed to be in the overall story. I am very much looking forward to Cold Days. I will probably reread Ghost Story, and maybe even Changes, in preparation of its release.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-13-2012, 06:48 AM   #1008
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Book_Doctor View Post
Spoiler:
Spacechik-I was/am a HUGE Jim Butcher fan.

The_Book_Doctor-So which one is it? Was a fan or am a fan?

Spacechik-was it just me or is Ghost Story the worst book he's written to date?

The_Book_Doctor-Of the folks participating in this thread Id say it was just you.

Spacechik-it's not read by Marsters but by John Glover. eeeooowww...

The_Book_Doctor-John Glover did a fine job in my opinion and on very short notice.

Spacechik-I believe the audio book was poorly done...cutting off in the middle of the sentences and the last CD seemed to just end.

The_Book_Doctor-I disagree.

Spacechik-I am not really looking forward to the rest of Butcher's works.

The_Book_Doctor-Well that's your choice of course. Most everyone who participates here in this thread seems to be looking forward to the next Dresden book, Cold Days.

Spacechik-This one just left a bad taste...

The_Book_Doctor-Not me.

Why did you post this? It comes off, in my opinion, as a troll considering where you chose to post it.
The_Book_Doctor: Everyone has a right to express their opinions about The Dresden Files in this thread. Please be more respectful to your fellow members.

Thank you.

~Nyssa
Old 08-13-2012, 11:04 AM   #1009
Pookeysgirl
Wizard
Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
The_Book_Doctor: Everyone has a right to express their opinions about The Dresden Files in this thread. Please be more respectful to your fellow members.

Thank you.

~Nyssa
I was glad to see Spacechik's post. I've been on the fence about reading Ghost Story for a long time. I'm a HUGE fan of Dresden and have read the series twice now up to Changes. Just the description of Ghost Story is putting me off reading it. I'll probably just skip it because I think I'll feel the same way about it. Mind you, if I can get it for a good price, I'll risk the possible disappointment .
Pookeysgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 01:46 PM   #1010
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Try the paperback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookeysgirl View Post
I was glad to see Spacechik's post. I've been on the fence about reading Ghost Story for a long time. I'm a HUGE fan of Dresden and have read the series twice now up to Changes. Just the description of Ghost Story is putting me off reading it. I'll probably just skip it because I think I'll feel the same way about it. Mind you, if I can get it for a good price, I'll risk the possible disappointment .
Maybe the Paperback will meet your desired price point.

Quoted from jim-butcher.com.
Quote:
The eagerly awaited new novel in the #1 New York Times bestselling Dresden Files series.

When we last left the mighty wizard detective Harry Dresden, he wasn’t doing well. In fact, he had been murdered by an unknown assassin.

But being dead doesn’t stop him when his friends are in danger. Except now he has no body, and no magic to help him. And there are also several dark spirits roaming the Chicago shadows who owe Harry some payback of their own.

To save his friends — and his own soul — Harry will have to pull off the ultimate trick without any magic…

Last edited by alansplace; 08-13-2012 at 04:47 PM. Reason: fix text
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-16-2012, 01:28 AM   #1011
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by frostschutz View Post
I just finished the third book. I don't think I'll go for the fourth. I dunno, it just doesn't fly with me for some reason. Spent a lot of time thinking "Why am I even reading this" and that's when I have to step back and go for something else. It's strange because I usually have no complaints about stories with lots of wizbangs and the occasional naked chick
If it doesn't work for you at all after the first book or two (though #3 was the first standout for me), it's probably just not up your alley. I would call myself an unlikely Dresden fan, with an active bias against "urban fantasy" and no history of enjoying hard-boiled detectives, but the stubborn-as-hell, honorable-to-a-fault (and beyond) character along with the wit of the writing drew me right in.

I'll stipulate that I probably wouldn't *read* these novels, but consume them as audiobooks. Most of my fantasy consumption these days is audio, where I look for "easy listening"--novels without particularly elevated language or complex ideas, and plots where I can fill in the blanks easily enough should I nod off and not feel like backtracking.
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 03:43 AM   #1012
Abtacha
Addict
Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Winter is coming! And the coldest of days arrive in November.

Cold Days has a release date, it's November 27th. You can have a look at the Cover if you follow my elegantly crafted link.
Abtacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 10:11 AM   #1013
Pookeysgirl
Wizard
Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

Cold Days has a release date, it's November 27th. You can have a look at the Cover if you follow my elegantly crafted link.
Finally! Guess I'll have to re-read the series (again!) before picking this one up.

Thanks for the link, karma coming your way

I wonder how expensive it's going to be
Old 08-17-2012, 02:57 PM   #1014
Nyssa
Series Addict

Quote:

Happy Happy , Joy Joy!! I'm really looking forward to this.

Old 08-17-2012, 03:24 PM   #1015
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Happy Happy , Joy Joy!! I'm really looking forward to this.

No word of the eBook on November 27 though.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 03:28 PM   #1016
Nyssa
Series Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
No word of the eBook on November 27 though.
True, but I would be surprised it if weren't made available the same day. My biggest concern is cost.
Old 08-17-2012, 03:33 PM   #1017
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I've decided to avoid any sample chapters this time around. I read the samples from Ghost Story, and reading through them once the book was out dimmed my initial enthusiasm a bit.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 03:33 PM   #1018
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
True, but I would be surprised it if weren't made available the same day. My biggest concern is cost.
I'd guess $14.99. Of course, we could buy a copy between us. ePub is the best choice given that I'm expecting errors.
Old 08-17-2012, 04:18 PM   #1019
Pookeysgirl
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I'd guess $14.99. Of course, we could buy a copy between us. ePub is the best choice given that I'm expecting errors.
Ghost Story was $18 here up until now. The price just dropped to $12.92.

I can't imagine Cold Days being any cheaper for me . I'm probably still going to grab it on release. I need a Dresden fix.
Old 08-17-2012, 04:24 PM   #1020
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookeysgirl View Post
Ghost Story was $18 here up until now. The price just dropped to $12.92.

I can't imagine Cold Days being any cheaper for me . I'm probably still going to grab it on release. I need a Dresden fix.
So come on in to our buy a copy of Cold Days in ePub group as it'll be cheaper due to the group purchase and the fact that it's the US and won't be more then $14.99.

Tags
fantasy series, magic, supernatural, the dresden files, urban fantasy