Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe

Notices

Old 07-31-2011, 11:16 AM   #1
jacktamuk
jacktamuk began at the beginning.

Device: pocket edge
any more insight on the issue of 'loss of speaker sound' PE?

dear all, got the problem of loss speaker sound abd have tried the Google Voice / SipDroid (as in the other thread) but still no luck. Frustrated as will leave the country in 2 weeks and hate to bring a 'defected' device along as it was the main purpose of this purchase. Any help is highly appreciated.
jacktamuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 12:39 PM   #2
mokel22
Zealot
mokel22 began at the beginning.

Device: Entourage Edge
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacktamuk View Post
dear all, got the problem of loss speaker sound abd have tried the Google Voice / SipDroid (as in the other thread) but still no luck. Frustrated as will leave the country in 2 weeks and hate to bring a 'defected' device along as it was the main purpose of this purchase. Any help is highly appreciated.
The speaker sounds like a hardware problem, which can't really be fixed without sending it into a professional. Can you use headphones? If that does not work then it could be a software problem and the only hope would be a golden update.
As for Sipdroid / Google Voice Your as well off as I am. I tried to make that work and failed. I've yet to use the directions in this thread though: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...light=sipdroid
I am very busy at the moment or else I would try, but I may later on this week. In addition it is advised to use a headset to make calls anyway, so if you can't get the speakers to work, then you are not really missing out on anything phone-call-wise.
mokel22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 12:47 PM   #3
jacktamuk
jacktamuk began at the beginning.

Device: pocket edge
thank you for promt input. Headphone works fine thru the earphone jack. But it bugs me so much that it kept me awake all night tring to uninstall or reinstall all the apps that i've had. btw, what is a 'golden update'? is it the 'update.zip' thing in the other thread which we could update to androind 2.2 (which i already did) ? anyway, thank you very much again. still frustrated though.
jacktamuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 01:16 PM   #4
mokel22
Zealot

Quote:
thank you for promt input. Headphone works fine thru the earphone jack. But it bugs me so much that it kept me awake all night tring to uninstall or reinstall all the apps that i've had. btw, what is a 'golden update'? is it the 'update.zip' thing in the other thread which we could update to androind 2.2 (which i already did) ? anyway, thank you very much again. still frustrated though.
Golden Update wipes your memory clean and installs Android 1.6 on your PE. It solves pretty much every software problem.
https://www.entourageedge.com/suppor...barticleid=263
You need to back up your PE and be ready to put it back into it's place if you perform this, as it will format your memory. In addition you would need to update to Android 2.2 if you wanted to keep most of your apps. This would be your only chance for fixed speakers, but as I said before, I'm pretty sure it is a hardware problem.
Think of it as an option that may not work, but at least you can say that you tried everything.

Last edited by mokel22; 07-31-2011 at 01:50 PM.
Old 07-31-2011, 05:36 PM   #5
mokel22
Zealot

Also I was trying to get sipdroid to work and came across the download below. This will allow you to make outgoing calls to the U.S. and Canada. Just download that apk, create an account (can be done from the application) Confirm it through an E-mail address and viola you have a phone number and calling capabilities from your edge. I'm super stoked and am going to make a thread about it. Good luck with speaker troubles.
Here's a link to the thread I made about it with more clear instructions: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=144911
Attached Files
File Type: zip com.nettalk-1.zip (1.26 MB, 391 views)

Last edited by mokel22; 07-31-2011 at 06:29 PM.
Old 07-31-2011, 06:32 PM   #6
ivanjt
Guru
ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle dx; eDGe
Quote:
This is a hardware problem and no amount of messing about with software will fix it.

Inside the headphone socket there are switches that switch off the internal speakers when headphones are plugged in. If, for some reason, those switch contacts do not make contact then the internal speakers will not get a signal. There are several reasons for problems with headphone sockets, one is bad QC but most of them are due to either the wrong plug being inserted, or being wiggled about, or even being pulled out at an angle. I've seen them all and even one in which the owner had pushed a screw driver in 'to make it bigger to fit the plug', needles to say it was completely wrecked.

At least you have headphones working so you are not completely without sound.

Edit: The golden update is the last resort return to factory 1.6. But as I said changing software will NEVER fix a hardware problem.

Last edited by ivanjt; 07-31-2011 at 06:35 PM.
ivanjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 12:34 AM   #7
johnseeking
keeper of the cheese
johnseeking began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Tablet (mine), 2nd Gen Kindle 3G (wife's), Literati (kids')
Okay, same issue, but I am FIRMLY convinced this is software, not hardware.

I installed "Alarm Clock Xtreme" from the Amazon "app of the day" page. I set a test alarm to try it out (while listening to a podcast through headphones) with the option to "escalate the alarm" volume. The alarm screen showed up, but I never heard an alarm (speaker OR headphones) and since then the only sounds I get from my speaker is a static-electrical POP sound when I remove my headphone plug or when my PE wakes up or goes to sleep.

I'm angry that the app in question seems to have mucked around with some root-level sound option that I don't know where to go to access.

Running 2.2, rooted with z4Root. Have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the #$%#$ alarm clock app, as well as wasting a few hours trying to set up the sipdroid/pbxes/googlevoice/etc. thing, all to no avail. (I've lost track of how many new accounts/phone numbers/pbx boxes/mail-order-wives I have set up now.)

Any thoughts on things I could check out with the terminal emulator or othersuch tool?
johnseeking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 12:55 AM   #8
mokel22
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnseeking View Post
Okay, same issue, but I am FIRMLY convinced this is software, not hardware.

I installed "Alarm Clock Xtreme" from the Amazon "app of the day" page. I set a test alarm to try it out (while listening to a podcast through headphones) with the option to "escalate the alarm" volume. The alarm screen showed up, but I never heard an alarm (speaker OR headphones) and since then the only sounds I get from my speaker is a static-electrical POP sound when I remove my headphone plug or when my PE wakes up or goes to sleep.

I'm angry that the app in question seems to have mucked around with some root-level sound option that I don't know where to go to access.

Running 2.2, rooted with z4Root. Have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the #$%#$ alarm clock app, as well as wasting a few hours trying to set up the sipdroid/pbxes/googlevoice/etc. thing, all to no avail. (I've lost track of how many new accounts/phone numbers/pbx boxes/mail-order-wives I have set up now.)

Any thoughts on things I could check out with the terminal emulator or othersuch tool?
mail-order-wives you say ... ... erm ... I can fix your lack of voip problems (kinda) pop over to this thread: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=144911

Also (to get things straight) all sound from your speakers, besides the popping, is gone? If you haven't already see if there's any volume options from the alarm app. If there isn't, get that thing off your edge, alarms are not useful for the edges (they cannot work unless the edge is on 24/7). Then try the volume buttons, adjusting the volume through the settings, and adjusting the volume through another app.
Old 08-06-2011, 01:06 AM   #9
johnseeking
keeper of the cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by mokel22 View Post
Also (to get things straight) all sound from your speakers, besides the popping, is gone?
Yep.
Quote:
If you haven't already see if there's any volume options from the alarm app. If there isn't, get that thing off your edge...
Done and done. No joy.
Quote:
Then try the volume buttons, adjusting the volume through the settings, and adjusting the volume through another app.
Fiddled with system volume, media volume, notification volume, and messed with it through "MyPOD Media Player." Changes were reflected over the headphones (when I plugged them in to check) but still nada through the speaker.

Also dashed off a non-nasty email to the developers of the alarm app. No response, but it's late, so no surprises there.
Old 08-06-2011, 01:14 AM   #10
mokel22
Zealot

Quote:
Yep.

Done and done. No joy.

Fiddled with system volume, media volume, notification volume, and messed with it through "MyPOD Media Player." Changes were reflected over the headphones (when I plugged them in to check) but still nada through the speaker.

Also dashed off a non-nasty email to the developers of the alarm app. No response, but it's late, so no surprises there.
Thanks for the prompt reply, the OP fixed his problems by installing truphone, he did not post the success here but rather in that thread I linked to you, here's the comment from there though
Quote:
great appreciation to Mokel22 who figured out all these. Before I got a chnace to read this one, I sort of fixed the sound loss problem by putiing an app called 'truphone' went thru the same steps that stated above. It is free and had 50 cents once i insalled it. THen i called my cell, and wala... the sound came back out from speaker again. (go back to setting and check the sound button and see everything is set right level). THanks to yo'll.
Old 08-06-2011, 01:16 AM   #11
johnseeking
keeper of the cheese

Let me give that a read and a shot. I will let you know what happens either way. Thank you, sir.
Old 08-06-2011, 01:30 AM   #12
johnseeking
keeper of the cheese

Talking SOLVED (for me anyhow)

Holy heck, it worked. Mokel, you are THE MAN. Many thanks to you AND to Jack.
Old 08-06-2011, 01:33 AM   #13
mokel22
Zealot

Quote:
Holy heck, it worked. Mokel, you are THE MAN. Many thanks to you AND to Jack.
Congrats! it is a weird fix, but a fix it is. Thanks for the info johnseeking.
Old 08-06-2011, 06:23 AM   #14
ivanjt
Guru
ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle dx; eDGe
Johnseeking, the difference between your problem and that of jacktamuk is that you had no sound from speaker or headphones whereas he has sound from headphones but not speakers. Yours is obviously software - some sound if only a 'plop', while his is mechanical - switch contact in 'phono' socket.
ivanjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 12:50 PM   #15
johnseeking
keeper of the cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanjt View Post
Johnseeking, the difference between your problem and that of jacktamuk is that you had no sound from speaker or headphones whereas he has sound from headphones but not speakers. Yours is obviously software - some sound if only a 'plop', while his is mechanical - switch contact in 'phono' socket.
Nooo... I had sound in my headphones. I thought I made that clear.

Also, if you read the entire thread, you will see that Jack and I fixed it the same way.