Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 10-27-2008, 05:50 PM   #1
jnconnolly
jnconnolly began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Post A.A. BIG BOOK

Please help me get The Big Book on my kindle.
jnconnolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 06:04 PM   #2
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
Welcome to the forum jnconnolly.

You can find a copy of the AA Big Book at:
http://www.aa.org/bigbookonline/
in a curious mixture of html and PDF format.

You will need to convert it into PRC format. You can use Mobicreator for this, possibly in conjunction with HarryT's tutorial.
See the mobipocket section of the forum for more information:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=168

I would happily do a conversion and post it on the book upload section, but the work is still in copyright.
Please PM me if you are having trouble with the conversion and I may be able to help.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-27-2008, 08:01 PM   #3
GatorDeb
Evangelist
GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: PW2 + HDX 8.9
The PDF files are password-protected. I guess you get the password when you buy the book.
GatorDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 07:07 AM   #4
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Actually, GatorDeb, the Fourth Edition at http://www.aa.org/bigbookonline/ has the bulk of the text in protected PDF and there doesn't seem to be a way of buying it. It's available only to read online. I expect that the A.A. haven't yet caught up with ebooks and are hoping that people will buy the paper copies to which they hold the copyright.

But there is good news. According to information at http://www.recovery.org/aa/bigbook/ww/
it seems that the A.A. forgot to renew the U.S copyright on the first edition. This is available online quite easily, though not in especially well-formatted versions. So I'm compiling a copy, and should be able to upload it this evening.
The eleven chapters which form the bulk of the book are the same. The personal stories have been added to, and updated in the fourth edition, and the appendices have also been updated.

There are a few versions online for sale, or on pirate sites. But, as far as I can see, they are all of the copyright-expired first edition. So there won't be any point in paying money for any other ebook version, until or unless the A.A. release one of their own.
Old 10-28-2008, 11:28 AM   #5
GatorDeb
Evangelist
GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

I'd be interested in the book if you do make it available! I've never had an alcohol problem (no, it's not denial ) but I think we all have our addictions. I'm a hoarder - movies, books, music, etc. So I think the book can apply to every single person and that everybody can take something away from it, which is why I want to read it (I've read excerpts).

I don't get it though... why have a password-protected file if you're not going to give the password? Or is it only protected to convert but not to read?
Advert
Old 10-28-2008, 12:12 PM   #6
Patricia
Reader

There are a quite a few sites like that, GatorDeb. They allow you to read the secure PDFs online, and you can usually download them to read on your computer. But the security won't let you print them, or do any conversions.

But I'm sure that a lot of people will be interested in this book. I had heard of 12-step programmes but didn't really know what they were about, so I'm quite interested myself. I expect to upload the book this evening.
Old 10-28-2008, 01:01 PM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
When I saw the title of this thread I thought it was about cars - in the UK, the "A.A." is the "Automobile Association" .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 01:09 PM   #8
GatorDeb
Evangelist

Autoholics Anonymous?
Old 10-28-2008, 05:25 PM   #9
mjh215
Guru
mjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: None of your business
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
When I saw the title of this thread I thought it was about cars - in the UK, the "A.A." is the "Automobile Association" .
In the U.S. it's AAA, American Automobile Association.

-MJ
mjh215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 09:32 PM   #10
Patricia
Reader

I've now uploaded the book in LRF, IMP and PRC formats.
Old 10-28-2008, 11:03 PM   #11
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Oddly, I thought of (and, actually, in passing, thought of you, Harry, and thought you may have thought of) A.A. Milne. Winnie, however, may not be a great help to a person with addictions (especially if that addiction is honey), unless, perhaps, they achieve some kind of insight like Benjamin Hoff.

Hmm, I think A.A. Milne's work may be out of copyright in some 50+ countries...I may have some googling to do (oh, I note there's an A.A. Milne non-Pooh book already here)

Cheers,
Marc
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 03:55 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yes, Milne died in 1956, so his work is out of copyright in "life + 50" countries. The only work of his I've actually seen on-line is his pre-1923 (hence PD in the US) detective story, "The Red House Mystery", which was published in 1922.
Old 10-29-2008, 04:57 AM   #13
GatorDeb
Evangelist

The U.S. is Life + ??

Thanks!
Old 10-29-2008, 05:08 AM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorDeb View Post
The U.S. is Life + ??

Thanks!
The US is "life + 70", like most western nations, but that only applies to books published after 1976. Prior to that, the US had its own, rather odd set of copyright laws. Basically, anything published prior to 1923 is automatically in the public domain in the US (which means that early works by long-lived authors such as Agatha Christie are in the public domain in the US, but not anywhere else in the world), but it also means that many books that are in the public domain elsewhere in the world are not public domain in the US.

It's all very complicated, I'm afraid.
Old 10-29-2008, 08:00 AM   #15
GatorDeb
Evangelist

How about books published after 1923 but before 1976?