Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 05-16-2007, 09:31 AM   #1
Anchoku
Connoisseur
Anchoku doesn't litterAnchoku doesn't litter

SID 2007

Any requests? Keep in mind I am not a reporter and will only post post information approved for general release.
Anchoku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 09:39 AM   #2
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
So you are going to be here?... http://www.sid.org/conf/sid2007/sid2007.html

Are you kidding? We want to know everything you can tell us, and especially the e-book and mobile device screen information! Plus, of course, whatever seems to be creating the most buzz!

Any new e-ink products out there?

How about any news about production dates or future products with those tiny micro projectors that have been demoed here and there? And are they really reasonable quality that consumers and businesses would use?

Pictures are good too!
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-16-2007, 09:46 AM   #3
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
You took the words right out of my keyboard Bob!
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 09:46 AM   #4
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
What Bob said, in spades!
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 12:02 PM   #5
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anchoku
Any requests? Keep in mind I am not a reporter and will only post post information approved for general release.
A picture says more than 1000 words... if you can take some for us (of the latest E Ink/e-paper products), that would be very cool!!
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-16-2007, 04:44 PM   #6
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Absolutely! Report and pictures, please!!!

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 03:38 PM   #7
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Posted for Martin...

The reply function wasn't working for Martin, so here's his post.
Edit: I just noticed some references to stock value. Of course, anything posted enthusiastically from any of our members is to be taken with a grain of salt and great caution. I'm sure Martin didn't mean to seriously sway anyone's investment, but always exercise caution when listening to any of us at MobileRead talking about investment advice -- we're not exactly wise financial advisors!

Hello Anchoku...

I am having a hard time posting a reply to your post. I don't know why it isn't being posted but nothing happens every time I try to reply. I am logged in but nothing. Do you know if there is a link to help??? If not do you have any idea why I am doing wrong. Thanks for any help....Here is what I wanted to post. I hope this gets to you via email. If it does could you verify by emailing me back that you got this via email at least. Thanks..>>>>>>>>>>

I have a few requests that I would love for you to report on after visiting SID. You will love the technology and PicoP I am asking you to see.
I saw your post asking for requests and noticed a fellow poster asking about those tiny micro projectors. There is a company called Microvision that is exhibiting at SID (booth 1459)... a link to the floor plan follows

http://events.pcm411.com/sid07/ec/fo...tent=floorPlan

If possible I would request you visit their booth and examine both the PicoP and their wearable display. I'm sure you will be blown away at the technology and products they are working on. They are showing their PicoP micro projector and wearable displays. The CEO is Alex Tokman and one of the reps there is Ben Averch, who is the head of the wearable display portion of Microvision. He has a blog dealing with Microvision ...google "Microvision blog" and you'll get to it if you want to get more information...By the way it is a great stock to buy at the prices today) He is very informed and friendly. If he is at Microvision's booth he could answer any questions you might want to ask. Take a look at Microvision's PicoP. It is going to come out in 2008 as a stand alone accesory to plug into cell phones...iPods....Blackberry....Palm....Laptops... .anything showing pictures of video. The second half of 2008 early 2009 it will be embedded into cell phones to use showing any pictures or video. Microvision is expected to sign a cell phone contract with a couple of major cell phone makers by the end of this summer which will drive the stock price up big time.

Possible things to check out at Microvision's booth where the PicoP and eyewear will be on display is....>>>>>

1. Quality of the picture projected (Color Brightness Clarity Focus Size of picture..Grainness)
2. Heat generated by the PicoP in use (warm...hot...cool to the touch...etc)
3. Is it run by batteries or outside 110 source?
4. Does it have the ASIC chip (electronics that controls and runs the PicoP) or still an external circuit board?
5. Size of PicoP (length thickness width)
6. Any external inputs
7. Screen size (used to operate) and any operation buttons
8. Color of PicoP (white...black ...red etc)

If you take a copy of this email with you it will be of assistance to get to Microvision's booth and what to look for and ask.

Could you let me know if you would visit Microvision's booth and report on the 8 questions?

Many thanks..
Martin Hillerby
Old 05-21-2007, 05:44 PM   #8
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
I'd definitely like more information on Hanlin's product line, whatever new technology PVI and Nemoptic are showing, maybe a report on any new devices from Bookeen or STAReBOOK. And get as much on the new LG Phillips 14.1" display as possible! Pleeeeeeaaaaasssseeee!!!

Derek Benner
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 10:56 PM   #9
Anchoku
Connoisseur

Here's a quick update. The big boys are showing big e-paper and it's not because you all like e-books. Paper-like displays for electronic signage, from grocery store shelf labels to billboards, is THE next big market. Flat panel TVs are well on their way to replacing everyone's favorite vacuum tube and the notebook and monitor markets are nearing maturity. Signage has the largest potential for growth.

E-books have problems other than the display keeping the application from taking off so, if you want to know which companies are going to be winners, look for those feeding the signage market in volume. Paper-like electronic signage displays will set the cost expectations in e-books. If any of you are e-book industry insiders, start pounding out scalable processing, communication, and content standards.

As far as e-paper itself is concerned, there are lots of companies developing better technology. Some are small and others are 400 lb gorillas. I don't think I've ever seen so much in the way of paper-like display technology, ever, and there's no reason the trend won't continue next year.

Key technical issues being worked are brightness (just like paper is spec'd at in the local office supply store), gray-level and color reproduction, image sticking (erasing the previous image), update rate, roll-to-roll processing (for very large size or zillions of small sizes), life expectancy versus cost (it should be cheaper than the amount of paper and distribution expense it replaces), availability and distribution, and ease of use.

Actually, cost is king. Those other things all come second, though the percent of light reflected, or brightness, and other visual attributes are serious concerns. Once volume production and visual quality meet, the whole e-paper business will sort itself out whether e-book publishers are ready or not. Like MP3s and the internet, the masses and those reaching out to them will force a solution.

I will hit the requested booths, tomorrow. However, I have a cautionary word on mini-projectors: they require mini projection surfaces to draw the image on - surfaces that don't look quite as good as a direct-view FPD. That is to say, the market potential isn't what people thought it would be. To draw a big image, you need a lot of light which means you need a lot of power in a tiny source. LEDs and laser diodes are improving efficacy but power is power. This market is expected to develop slowly because it's competing with the incumbents for a portion of the HMD, PDA, UMPC, and notebook markets.

Delphidb96, PVI makes the addressing substrate and backplane. I will check on them but will focus on the three electrophoretic film developers and their LC and other competitors.

=====

PS: I'm surprised you're only interested in LPL's A-size. Why not tape Samsung's 40" electrophoretic display to the inside of the bathroom door?

Last edited by Anchoku; 05-23-2007 at 11:02 PM.
Old 05-24-2007, 12:35 AM   #10
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anchoku
Why not tape Samsung's 40" electrophoretic display to the inside of the bathroom door?
Brings a whole new twist to 'bathroom reading.'
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 09:55 AM   #11
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Actually, I'd hang it on the ceiling over my bed. Now that's a reading experience...
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 11:35 AM   #12
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Or the ceiling at the dentist's office... a place where any distraction is welcome.

When I was a kid I slept in the top bunk and the ceiling was only a few feet away. I had a poster of Tolkein's Middle Earth to look at as I fell asleep. It would have been cool to be able to change the image -- say, to the Periodic Table of Elements on the night before a chem quiz.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 07:23 PM   #13
Anchoku
Connoisseur

Hillerby,

The projector you're interested in still requires a receiving, scaling and A-D conversion box for PC use but, if connected to a cell phone through a simple proprietary data link, it could be fairly portable. Power consumption doesn't seem too bad so a battery pack should suffice. It's a fairly small device and I'd estimate it at under 1 x 3 x 10 cm. Speckle is annoying due to the tiny numerical aperture (if I remember my physics right) but in some situations may be acceptable. It requires, of course, a plain, whitish screen to show images on. Projecting on anything with a background pattern would decrease its effectiveness. The box is black and silver but that's hardly an issue. Also, being based on semiconductor lasers, no focus is necessary.

The real trick is finding people who have situations where they need a projector for PMP content rather than using a lower-power PMP display. Sharing a PMP or cell phone between freinds could short-circuit their market.

-----edit----

Oh, yes. One last note to mention is it works best in dim lighting. The brighter the ambient lighting, the smaller and closer you should make the image to get acceptable contrast.

Last edited by Anchoku; 05-24-2007 at 07:27 PM.
Old 05-24-2007, 09:45 PM   #14
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict

Great info. Thanks!

It's especially interesting to hear your thoughts on how signage will drive the development and that there are many big and small companies in the e-paper game. All very good news for e-book devices, even if most of the focus stays on signage for a while.

I wonder... is there any "real" talk yet about e-paper replacing notebook screens or PC displays or even large television displays?
Old 05-25-2007, 01:19 AM   #15
Anchoku
Connoisseur

Bob, I haven't heard any serious talk about e-paper displacing the screens in notebooks, on desktops, and in home theaters. Keep in mind, the LC and plasma-based incumbents have at least an order of magnitude faster response time, can be brighter than light impinging on its front surface (rather than less bright than white wall paint), and have much better color saturation and luminance.

After e-readers and signage, e-paper will probably do well to combine with a digitizer to make an electronic drawing board. Putting a resistive touch screen, which can cut 10% to 30% of the light each way, in front of e-paper would be unappealing.