Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 05-04-2010, 11:03 PM   #1
tboe77
tboe77 began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle 2
Recommendations for a Stephen King fan.

Hello, fellow readers. I'm a big fan of Stephen King but, alas, man cannot live on a single author. Can anyone recommend an author, or even a single book with a similar writing style?

To clarify, what I like most about King is the way that he writes characters. He gives them such depth that they feel very real to me when I read his books. By comparison, the characters in most books by other authors seem very one dimensional. This makes is very hard to care about the characters and therefore it is hard to care about the story. So, if there are any King fans out there who have found other authors who have a similar talent for writing characters, please share! Thank you.
tboe77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 11:23 PM   #2
Katti's Cat
Wizard
Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS-600
Hi can't help you but I am sure someone will be around shortly. In the meantime, why not try Literature-Map. You may find something of interest there
Katti's Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-05-2010, 11:21 AM   #3
VanillaEps
Enthusiast
VanillaEps began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
I know you were looking for another author, but have you read King's The Dark Tower series? I'm recommending it only because its VERY different from his usual work and the characters in the series have enormous depth. I'm also a HUGE King fan and started the series a few months ago. I almost done with the 5th book.
VanillaEps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 01:00 PM   #4
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
Maybe Dean Koontz. Check out his Odd Thomas books.

Also Clive Barker if you're into the pure horror.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 01:22 PM   #5
jament
Enthusiast
jament doesn't litterjament doesn't litter

Device: Sony 505
I don't think anyone writes characters like King. In stories like It or The Body, he really taps into those magical things that happen when you're a kid and those friends that seem like they will be there forever.

That said, in the same genre, I enjoy these:
Dan Simmons
Robert McCammon
Peter Straub
Glen Cook
Steven Erikson
jament is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-05-2010, 02:30 PM   #6
mores
Guru
mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.

Device: iPhone
F. Paul Wilson. King is a great fan of his.
mores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 11:01 PM   #7
tboe77

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanillaEps View Post
I know you were looking for another author, but have you read King's The Dark Tower series? I'm recommending it only because its VERY different from his usual work and the characters in the series have enormous depth. I'm also a HUGE King fan and started the series a few months ago. I almost done with the 5th book.
Yeah, I've read the Dark Tower series a couple of times. I've read the earlier books in the series four or five times each, as I would re-read them whenever a new installment would come out.

Although, IT is probably my favourite single novel of King's, my favourite work of his is definitely the Dark Tower series.

The reason I started this thread is that I've run out of Stephen King books to read.
Old 05-05-2010, 11:02 PM   #8
tboe77

Thank you, everybody, for your recommendations.
Old 05-05-2010, 11:21 PM   #9
cbarnett
MR prodigal son
cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Raymond Feist wrote a decent book in this kind of genre too, that's worth a look: Faerie Tale
cbarnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 01:42 AM   #10
Simon Wood
Addict
Simon Wood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simon Wood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simon Wood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simon Wood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simon Wood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simon Wood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simon Wood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simon Wood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simon Wood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simon Wood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simon Wood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I would agree with Dean Koontz. Some of his books are a little ropey at times, but my favorites are: INTENSITY, VELOCITY, STRANGE HIGHWAYS, LIGHTENING.

Another book worth checking out just for the characters is Scott Smith's A SIMPLE PLAN. King raved about the book when it came out.
Simon Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 01:46 AM   #11
lila55
Fanatic
lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360° , iPhone 5, PRS-650, Sony PRS-T2, Sony PRS-T3, Tolino
"Mr. Shivers" by Robert Jackson Bennett reminded me somewhat of the style of Stephen King.
Also, you could maybe try Peter Straub.
lila55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 01:46 AM   #12
cbarnett
MR prodigal son
cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Oh! And I forgot to mention Brian Lumley! I really enjoyed his Necroscope and Vampire World books.
cbarnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 03:28 AM   #13
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
You also might like James Herbert although I don't think many of his books are available as ebook.
Rumpelteazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 10:02 AM   #14
queentess
Reading is sexy
queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbarnett View Post
Oh! And I forgot to mention Brian Lumley! I really enjoyed his Necroscope and Vampire World books.
I came in here to recommend Brian Lumley as well! I also rather liked John Saul around the same time I was into King.
queentess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 08:50 AM   #15
KarateMonkey
Connoisseur
KarateMonkey doesn't litterKarateMonkey doesn't litterKarateMonkey doesn't litter

Device: Astak Pocket Pro, Sony PRS-300
I really enjoy David Wellington. You can read a few of his books at his website here for free if you want to give him a try.
KarateMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote