Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-07-2010, 01:46 AM   #1
kcnightfang
kcnightfang knows what time it iskcnightfang knows what time it iskcnightfang knows what time it iskcnightfang knows what time it iskcnightfang knows what time it iskcnightfang knows what time it iskcnightfang knows what time it iskcnightfang knows what time it iskcnightfang knows what time it iskcnightfang knows what time it iskcnightfang knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-900 but selling to move to and Ipad
Activating a PRS-900 on a Mac

Ok, so I just got my PRS-900 today and I know that ADE and the Sony sync software are kind of janky on the Mac so I haven't registered it yet. This is my first ebook reader so there's no prior authorisations, no existing DRM'ed books, it's a clean install/registration. If you guys could help me out with a straightforward explanation of what I should do that would be greatly appreciated. I'm running OS 10.6 Snow Leopard and I do have Calibre already.
kcnightfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 03:46 AM   #2
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Welcome to MR, kcnightfang

Very smart to wait for clear directions on the start up. I have XP and Vista with the Sony 505, so I don't have any experience with the Mac. The Reader Library and ADE were clean and easy installs for me.

Hopefully a Mac experienced person with a Sony with jump in soon. The hard part is being patient before you start clicking buttons
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-07-2010, 04:06 AM   #3
Kolenka
<Insert Wit Here>
Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kobo Forma
There's a couple ways to get things all setup on a Mac with the 900:

- Install ADE on a Windows box, activate it that way.

- Create an adobe account using ADE on the Mac. Create an account at the Sony Store using the Mac Sony Reader software, and then attach the 900 to it over 3G. Order is important, as the Sony software needs the ADE credentials to be there, and seems to tie the two accounts together, and can activate the 900 over 3G because of it (for DRM content).

Unfortunately, since ADE doesn't recognize the Reader directly, it requires a fairly round-about way of doing it.

If you don't care about DRM content, you are pretty much already setup.
Kolenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 04:31 AM   #4
kcnightfang
kcnightfang knows what time it iskcnightfang knows what time it iskcnightfang knows what time it iskcnightfang knows what time it iskcnightfang knows what time it iskcnightfang knows what time it iskcnightfang knows what time it iskcnightfang knows what time it iskcnightfang knows what time it iskcnightfang knows what time it iskcnightfang knows what time it is

Thanks for the help and input guys! I've seen a few threads on here where people do it out of order and it somehow jacks everything up and there's big issues, I appreciate the simple guide. Thanks for the welcome, this a really friendly, useful, and informative forum, I'm glad to be here.
Old 01-07-2010, 06:49 AM   #5
kcnightfang

Ok, so I got the computer authorised just fine, and the Sony account worked just fine on the computer, and then on the reader, or so I thought, but then I went to buy a book on the reader and it asked for my Adobe ID and password, I enter it and it said no way. :/
Advert
Old 01-07-2010, 07:27 AM   #6
Starka
Anything BUT "Enthusiast"
Starka began at the beginning.

Device: PRS 900BC
OK, what is ADE and what is DRM?
Starka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 11:49 AM   #7
Kolenka
<Insert Wit Here>
Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcnightfang View Post
Ok, so I got the computer authorised just fine, and the Sony account worked just fine on the computer, and then on the reader, or so I thought, but then I went to buy a book on the reader and it asked for my Adobe ID and password, I enter it and it said no way. :/
You enter the Sony account user/password, I think... I was never asked for an adobe ID on the reader.
Old 01-07-2010, 11:50 AM   #8
Kolenka
<Insert Wit Here>

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starka View Post
OK, what is ADE and what is DRM?
Wikipedia has a better explanation of DRM than I could ever give.

ADE is Adobe Digital Editions, a piece of software.
Old 01-07-2010, 04:05 PM   #9
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcnightfang View Post
Like I said, I don't have any experience with the Mac, but I found a couple of things...

ADE and MAC

PRS 600 ADE which is from https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=67927

Maybe, these will help?
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 04:30 PM   #10
Kolenka
<Insert Wit Here>

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreams View Post
Like I said, I don't have any experience with the Mac, but I found a couple of things...

ADE and MAC

PRS 600 ADE which is from https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=67927

Maybe, these will help?
These will help if all else fails. I'm just not sure they are needed.

I was able to enter my Sony account on the 900 and get it authorized to my Adobe account as well, without even plugging the thing in.
Old 01-07-2010, 06:30 PM   #11
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
There's definitely the potential for confusion.

You certainly used to need to use a Windows PC to authorize a Sony Reader for use on a Mac, which many of the threads on the forum will refer to, but since the Sony Library software V3, which included Mac support, you should be able to handle it directly on the Mac.
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 07:05 PM   #12
Kolenka
<Insert Wit Here>

Should, yes, but everything needs to be done in a particular order it seems for that to work. And nobody has yet to document what the order is. Even the order I give is based on my own experience with the 3.1 and observing its behavior.
Old 01-07-2010, 07:40 PM   #13
kcnightfang

Yeah, what happened for me is that it gave every appearance of activating, then when I went to buy a book it asked for the ADE password because it failed or something, and every time I put it in I got a loading screen that stopped loading and never did anything. I tried to activate it through the Reader Library software on my Mac, but that hung on the same loading screen.
Old 01-07-2010, 07:50 PM   #14
Starka
Anything BUT "Enthusiast"
Starka began at the beginning.

Device: PRS 900BC
I just activated mine on the unit itself without the use of a Mac or PC, and it seems to be working fine.
Starka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 07:57 PM   #15
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
WARNING:

Make sure you get an Adobe ID and install ADE FIRST. If you don't do this the Sony software will create an anonymous Adobe ID for your based on your Sony account and you won't be able to move your ADE books to other PCs or devices.

Once you have installed your Adobe DE on your Mac and stored your Adobe ID to your keychain then install the Sony software. It will ask you for permission to read the Adobe ID from your key chain. Tell it YES...

This is the way to go if you want to be able to read your ebooks on more than one PC.

I actually think this applies to Windows PCs too.... there have been several threads where people bought books with an anonymous ID and they haven't been portable to other PCs.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote