Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 11-16-2013, 07:53 PM   #226
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Well that's that. I just talked to Kindle Support and I am returning the HDX I really wanted to love it but I can't get over the blue border in the dark it's sooo bad it washes out the text. He asked if I wanted to replace it again and I just can't so now my option are order a Nexus 7.2 or Go with Kindle Fire HD 16GB?

Now that said I have two Poetic Slimline cases for the HDX one still in it's packaging and one gently use. So I may have to give those someone on here who needs a case or something. Both were under $10 so I may just cut my loses.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 09:57 PM   #227
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Sorry about that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
Well that's that. I just talked to Kindle Support and I am returning the HDX I really wanted to love it but I can't get over the blue border in the dark it's sooo bad it washes out the text. He asked if I wanted to replace it again and I just can't so now my option are order a Nexus 7.2 or Go with Kindle Fire HD 16GB?

Now that said I have two Poetic Slimline cases for the HDX one still in it's packaging and one gently use. So I may have to give those someone on here who needs a case or something. Both were under $10 so I may just cut my loses.
That is really too bad. How about trying a Paperwhite 2013? I find that to be a great eBook reader and it costs a lot less than an HDX.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-17-2013, 02:39 AM   #228
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
That is really too bad. How about trying a Paperwhite 2013? I find that to be a great eBook reader and it costs a lot less than an HDX.
I already own a Paperwhite no need to get a new one. I just ordered the Nexus 7.2 so it's all good.
Old 11-17-2013, 07:58 AM   #229
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Yes, Blossom, you are lucky to have a good PW1. Mine was not so good, or I would have kept it. I loved all the hacks I had on it. But the blotchy light was really bothering me. So I traded it for the PW2. It is much nicer, but I hardly ever use it, (probably because I have a lot of readers). If it was as small as my Kobo Glo, I would definitely use it more. But if I want something that big, I'll reach for my Nook HD.

The advantage of the Nexus you just bought is, it's even lighter than my Nook HD. And has a higher resolution. So, that makes it a very good choice for an ereader. One of these days, I hope to get to a store and handle one. I'd love to compare it to my Nook. I don't think I'll get one though, because I do like the SD card slot in my Nook.

I am so glad I decided against the new Fires.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 09:11 AM   #230
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
Yes, Blossom, you are lucky to have a good PW1. Mine was not so good, or I would have kept it. I loved all the hacks I had on it. But the blotchy light was really bothering me. So I traded it for the PW2. It is much nicer, but I hardly ever use it, (probably because I have a lot of readers). If it was as small as my Kobo Glo, I would definitely use it more. But if I want something that big, I'll reach for my Nook HD.

The advantage of the Nexus you just bought is, it's even lighter than my Nook HD. And has a higher resolution. So, that makes it a very good choice for an ereader. One of these days, I hope to get to a store and handle one. I'd love to compare it to my Nook. I don't think I'll get one though, because I do like the SD card slot in my Nook.

I am so glad I decided against the new Fires.
Yeah but look where it got me. I am now leery of buying any Kindles from Amazon till they get their quality control fix. I might have a awesome PW1 but I went through 3 HDXs so I feel the pain of those who didn't get a good reader last year or this year but keep in mind HDX costs way more than a PW so you would think it would be quality made. I also read some bad things about using blue LEDs on your eyes so I guess it's best not to keep trying. I loved my first one and would have kept it had the brightness controller not failed but I am reading all over the Amazon forum and user reviews about these units out of blue failing so maybe even if I got a good one it could die and then I would be playing the replacement game again.

However if Amazon comes out with a version that use normal LEDs I would love to try again maybe next year. $230 for a tablet that's display is ruined by color bleed is just unthinkable. Amazon has really blown it in my book.
Advert
Old 11-17-2013, 09:15 AM   #231
WillysJeepMan
Guru
WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, KFHD7, GTab 8.4 Pro, iPadAir 2
Quote:
I already own a Paperwhite no need to get a new one. I just ordered the Nexus 7.2 so it's all good.
Ouch. Sorry to hear about your journey with the HDX, but by going with the Nexus 7.2 you might have just traded one set of quality control issues for another.

What were the things that sway you towards the Nexus and away from the KFHD?
WillysJeepMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 09:23 AM   #232
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Actually, I only use my HDX to read at low light levels with white text on a black background. I use the PW 2013 to read at normal and high light levels with black text on a white background. If the PW was able to have white on black and black on white, I would probably only really need a PW.

The only other uses for my HDX are to play music and the AcroBible app. I also check the weather on my HDX but the PW 2013 also has an AccuWeather Active Content app.

Now that I finally got my network to stream music to my Grace radios, the HDX is looking less necessary if the PW gets a major upgrade so as to be able to reverse text and background colors.
Old 11-17-2013, 09:27 AM   #233
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillysJeepMan View Post
Ouch. Sorry to hear about your journey with the HDX, but by going with the Nexus 7.2 you might have just traded one set of quality control issues for another.

What were the things that sway you towards the Nexus and away from the KFHD?
I didn't want to play the replacement game again in case the new HDs have issues too. The Nexus has a higher ppi like the HDX so reading would be best on it. Not to mention as I am leery now of the quality of this years Kindle Fires. It also has Google Play on it which is a plus so no sideloading because I can put Amazon app store on it too. I can use Kindle For Andriod as I was using books with their fonts embedded so that shouldn't be an issue.

I played with the Nexus at Walmart two weekends ago and really liked it. I like Jelly Bean also the Kindle Fires has buy this or buy that everywhere I look. I miss the simplicity of the Kindle Fire one which will always be the best. I will miss immersion reading most though!
  • HDX 1: Had a nice screen, blue border was barely noticeable you had to go looking for it but the brightness controller failed.
  • HDX 2: Had a horrible greenish tint to the screen and look muddy in spots. I had color blobs just like a PW.
  • HDX 3. Nice screen but it has a dominant blue border that showed up on everything! Pictures, webpages, movies, books. In the dark the blue was so noticeable it washed out the text. It gave me a headache trying to ignore it.

What issues are there with the Nexus? I've heard nothing but good about it from everyone.
Old 11-17-2013, 12:15 PM   #234
sirmaru
Wizard

Nexus issues

Quote:
What issues are there with the Nexus? I've heard nothing but good about it from everyone.
Blossom,

See this link:

http://www.mobilenapps.com/articles/...ing-issues.htm

Here is what it says:

"When Google released Android 4.2, it added some new features to the OS and, unfortunately, included some annoying bugs as well. One of those bugs has turned out to be an issue with Nexus 7 owners claiming that if they leave their tablet off for an extended period of time or completely drain the battery they are experiencing issues with the device not charging after plugging it in and in some cases they can't even turn their Nexus 7 on."

See this link as well:

http://www.gottabemobile.com/2013/07...d-to-consider/

Further down that article it lists SEVEN major flaws for the Nexus 7.

My opinion is that EVERY gadget has its flaws. We can work around them or get another with different flaws. Nothing is perfect.

I recently upgraded from a Windows 7 PC to a Windows 8.1 PC. My new PC has lots of new features like speed but lots of things I used to do on the old PC no longer work. That is the way things are and we have to live with them.

When I purchased my new car last April, it took me 3 weeks to learn all its required VOICE commands to drive it. My old car had no voice commands. There are lots of new bugs in the new car which were not even possible in the old car.

Last edited by sirmaru; 11-17-2013 at 12:28 PM.
Old 11-17-2013, 12:39 PM   #235
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
Yeah but look where it got me. I am now leery of buying any Kindles from Amazon till they get their quality control fix.

$230 for a tablet that's display is ruined by color bleed is just unthinkable. Amazon has really blown it in my book.
I agree with you. I wasn't going to even buy this year's PW, but the faster processor sucked me in. I'm glad I got it, my son uses it so it's not going to waste.

As for future Kindles, I am only interested in a paperwhite with a 5" screen, or at least a really small form factor if it still has a 6" screen. But with only 2gb memory, I might not be interested, anyway.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 03:37 PM   #236
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
Blossom,

See this link:

http://www.mobilenapps.com/articles/...ing-issues.htm

Here is what it says:

"When Google released Android 4.2, it added some new features to the OS and, unfortunately, included some annoying bugs as well. One of those bugs has turned out to be an issue with Nexus 7 owners claiming that if they leave their tablet off for an extended period of time or completely drain the battery they are experiencing issues with the device not charging after plugging it in and in some cases they can't even turn their Nexus 7 on."

See this link as well:

http://www.gottabemobile.com/2013/07...d-to-consider/

Further down that article it lists SEVEN major flaws for the Nexus 7.

My opinion is that EVERY gadget has its flaws. We can work around them or get another with different flaws. Nothing is perfect.

I recently upgraded from a Windows 7 PC to a Windows 8.1 PC. My new PC has lots of new features like speed but lots of things I used to do on the old PC no longer work. That is the way things are and we have to live with them.

When I purchased my new car last April, it took me 3 weeks to learn all its required VOICE commands to drive it. My old car had no voice commands. There are lots of new bugs in the new car which were not even possible in the old car.
The Nexus is Android 4.3 now so most of the issues have been addressed. The second link shows this guy is a apple fan as he wrote that before it was released!. I totally agree with you that there is risk on anything you buy. Software bugs can be fixed but hardware problems like blue borders you will have to get another tablet once the issue has been fixed. While I know Amazon Customer support is top notch and going with Asus tablet they seem to be very active on Amazon posting to reviewers who need help still I plan to get a Square Trade warranty when they give out their big coupon on Black Friday for extra insurance.

I just wish the HDX had work for had my first not failed I would have been very happy with it.
Old 11-18-2013, 08:37 AM   #237
Larla
Addict
Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Tab S5E 12" Tablet
Blossom -- good luck on your Nexus 7.2. I've had one for several months now and have nothing but praise for them; no problems whatsoever.

I think you will like being in the full Android environment versus the walled garden of Amazon. I know you like the Mantano reader; I have always liked and used Moonreader+ Pro. There are a lot of choices of course.

I guess the other way you could have gone is the iPad Mini retina but it costs almost twice what the Nexus does.

Once again, good luck.
Larla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 11:24 AM   #238
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larla View Post
Blossom -- good luck on your Nexus 7.2. I've had one for several months now and have nothing but praise for them; no problems whatsoever.

I think you will like being in the full Android environment versus the walled garden of Amazon. I know you like the Mantano reader; I have always liked and used Moonreader+ Pro. There are a lot of choices of course.

I guess the other way you could have gone is the iPad Mini retina but it costs almost twice what the Nexus does.

Once again, good luck.
Thanks! It will be here tomorrow and I switched to Moon+ Reader Pro after I found it had Time Left to Read on it! A little buggy but the reader and customization options are pretty awesome. I do miss having collections though.
Old 11-18-2013, 11:38 AM   #239
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Thanks! It will be here tomorrow and I switched to Moon+ Reader Pro after I found it had Time Left to Read on it! A little buggy but the reader and customization options are pretty awesome. I do miss having collections though.
The colors on the Nexus 7.2 seem very good to me. But I haven't seen the Fire HDX so I can't compare the two. Below is an image that shows the Nexus 7.2 and Fire HDX have about the same color gamut coverage, basically the sRGB coverage. Note how bad the new iPad Mini Retina screen is on colors, yuk! I'm glad I didn't buy the Mini, I will most likely get the Air instead, but not until after the holidays.

Old 11-18-2013, 11:50 AM   #240
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
The colors on the Nexus 7.2 seem very good to me. But I haven't seen the Fire HDX so I can't compare the two. Below is an image that shows the Nexus 7.2 and Fire HDX have about the same color gamut coverage, basically the sRGB coverage. Note how bad the new iPad Mini Retina screen is on colors, yuk! I'm glad I didn't buy the Mini, I will most likely get the Air instead, but not until after the holidays.

The Kindle Fire HDX 7 uses Blue LEDs which gives a blue or green tint to everything I don't think it's too accurate but it's pretty when you get one isn't overtaken with the blue haze. I haven't seem the 8.9 but I am told it's the best! It uses White LEDs.

Yours eyes aren't going to see true color anyway. We all see color different. What I call blue my husband says is purple his color perception is way off.