Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 09-13-2011, 10:22 AM   #1
coffegrinder
coffegrinder began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Can't find library

Hi!

I have a Kindle 3 and use Calibre for e-book management. I have the icon for Calibre on the desk top (correct word? I mean the background on the computer screen), but I keep my library on a portable hard drive that is not plugged into the computer other then when I need to access the files on it.

Whenever I want to start Calibre I get a message that it can't find the library, and for me to choose where I want to place the new library. When I choose the location on the portable hd where my library is located my library pops up in Calibre. Is it normal to have to connect Calibre with the library manually each time I want to use it? The program starts just fine anyway, it just can't find the library, and yes, I make sure that the portable hd is connected to the computer before I start Calibre....

As you can see from my question, computers aren't my forte, and English is my second language so I would appreciate if you can help me in rather simple language...

Thanks!
coffegrinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 11:03 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffegrinder View Post
Hi!

I have a Kindle 3 and use Calibre for e-book management. I have the icon for Calibre on the desk top (correct word? I mean the background on the computer screen), but I keep my library on a portable hard drive that is not plugged into the computer other then when I need to access the files on it.

Whenever I want to start Calibre I get a message that it can't find the library, and for me to choose where I want to place the new library. When I choose the location on the portable hd where my library is located my library pops up in Calibre. Is it normal to have to connect Calibre with the library manually each time I want to use it? The program starts just fine anyway, it just can't find the library, and yes, I make sure that the portable hd is connected to the computer before I start Calibre....

As you can see from my question, computers aren't my forte, and English is my second language so I would appreciate if you can help me in rather simple language...

Thanks!
I wish you had not said the part about "Computers not..."
Because the best solution (IMHO), is a tiny bit tricky to set up (once).

If you assign a permanent drive letter (that will not normally be used by other insertions) to that Thumb drive, Calibre will always have the same place to look.

I have configured my Reader to always get "Q" and "P", My back-up thumb drive gets a letter (and a "Label").
Quit Calibre (to be safe and NOT have the current drive Letter in use)

You will need "administrator rights" to do this.

Insert the thumb drive and let the system discover it.
Windows (key)+R (or Start: Run)

type in: diskmgmt.msc then tap Enter
The Disk management window should open

You should see your Thumb drive on the List (It should never be C:. don't touch that one. This is also why I like to "Label" my drives) The drive is the same one you see in Windows Explorer if you need to verify the current Letter assignment.
Right click on the Name/Letter in the Volumes column:
Select: Change Drive Letter and Paths...

The Next screen shows the drive Letter.
Click Change
Select (should already be done) Assign Drive Letter.

Choose a fairly high letter (UN USED by other assignments). I like the ones in the range of P to S (for non-corporate network environments.),

These will normally not get used if you plug in a new storage device, which gets an automatic next available letter (after C

Click OK. You will see a warning about changing Letter assignments (don't touch the letter assigned to any Internal drive of any type Guru territory )
OK this, the Letter should change within the list
Exit.
Eject and remove the drive.
Reboot
When the system is back, insert the drive. You should see it has you Newly assigned Letter

Start Calibre. Use the small arrow on the Library icon: Change/Create...
Point it at you Library folder on the new letter.
Done

If you accidentally start Calibre without the drive: Just use the Quick switch (your lib name) to get there after the drive has been discovered.
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-13-2011, 04:33 PM   #3
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
If you do not need to have an icon on the desktop, then it occurs to me that another option is to use the Portable calibre installation, and have that on the porotable hard drive. That way you could run Calibre by opening up the hard drive and then starting the Portable calibre application from there. That gives you a self-contained Calibre installation that is not tied to the portable drive beinga particular drive letter.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 10:44 AM   #4
coffegrinder
coffegrinder began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Hey, I actually understood both answers!

Thank you!
coffegrinder is offline   Reply With Quote