Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > Kindle Books

Notices

Old 03-30-2011, 02:35 AM   #1
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Harvard Classics 50 INTRODUCTION, READER'S GUIDE, INDEXES, V1 ,March 30 2011

I did some work on the one Volume of the Harvard Classics that wasn't uploaded according to the list at https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Harv..._at_MobileRead using the raw epub over at Internet Archive as its basis. I presume RWood always meant to convert and upload the last volume (I remember reading a post about it here somewhere) but alas with his passing he won't be able to complete his work on it.
So I thought I would upload a copy of what I did with the raw epub file to fill in the empty spot.

169 prior views.
Edit:
Ficbot went through the file I originally posted and made a good number of corrections to the file that I had used. One change was the removal of some images which allowed the file to shrink in size a bit as well. Many thanks to Ficbot for the additional editing.
This work is assumed to be in the Life+70 public domain OR the copyright holder has given specific permission for distribution. Copyright laws differ throughout the world, and it may still be under copyright in some countries. Before downloading, please check your country's copyright laws. If the book is under copyright in your country, do not download or redistribute this work.

To report a copyright violation you can contact us here.
Attached Files
File Type: mobi Harvard_Classics_50.mobi (1.27 MB, 1345 views)
File Type: mobi Harvard Classics 50_ Introduction, Reade - Eliot W_.mobi (219.9 KB, 1073 views)

Last edited by crich70; 06-03-2011 at 09:11 PM.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 07:59 PM   #2
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Thanks for completing the collection. I can't think of a finer tribute to RWood.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-30-2011, 09:02 PM   #3
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You're quite welcome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
Thanks for completing the collection. I can't think of a finer tribute to RWood.
Old 03-30-2011, 09:57 PM   #4
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Thank you! Although I am familiar with many or the works, I had no idea about the specific, Harvard Classics, collection before the unfortunate news of RWoods passing.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 10:06 PM   #5
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

If you're looking for them, they're listed under Eliot, Charles W. (editor), Harvard Classics.

I suggest downloading the three zip files (1-19, 20-29, 30-51) as they contain all but the one above that was uploaded by crich70. With those four downloads, you'll have a complete set. Plus the zip files contain a consistent (and modern) numbering system. Download them individually, and some will have Roman numerals while others will have standard numbering.

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 03-30-2011 at 10:10 PM.
Advert
Old 03-30-2011, 10:19 PM   #6
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
I wish I had known that yesterday when I went searching for them. I'm still sorting through them now and I seem to have missed a few (4 of them in the middle somewhere, I think), so I will definitely go back and look for the zips.

Thank you, as always, WT!

Edit: the link Crich70 provided takes us to the full series on MobileRead Wiki - but they are the individual titles.

Last edited by Nyssa; 03-30-2011 at 10:22 PM.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 10:22 PM   #7
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
I wish I had known that yesterday when I went searching for them. I'm still sorting through them now and I seem to have missed a few (4 of them in the middle somewhere, I think), so I will definitely go back and look for the zips.

You and me both. I just replaced my haphazard, incomplete, and partially purchased collection with the work of crich70 and the late, great RWood.
Old 03-30-2011, 11:12 PM   #8
crich70
Grand Sorcerer

If you scroll down to the bottom of the page there is a link just below the grid area that has the zip files that WT Sharp is talking about. It's easy to miss if you don't look for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post

Edit: the link Crich70 provided takes us to the full series on MobileRead Wiki - but they are the individual titles.
Old 03-30-2011, 11:18 PM   #9
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

The links for the mobi (Kindle) zip files are here. Download those, plus the one on this page, and you'll have a complete set.
Old 05-23-2011, 09:29 AM   #10
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
I too have replaced my haphazard set and wonder if either of you guys or anyone else has a suggestion for how to use the ebooks to follow the 15 minutes a day reading plan. one supposes i can use the epub copy on archive.org to figure out the start and end points for each day in terms of a "find" to start and end, but I was just wondering if there were other thoughts.
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 09:10 PM   #11
crich70
Grand Sorcerer

Ficbot went through the file I originally posted and made a good number of corrections to the file that I had used. One change was the removal of some images which allowed the file to shrink in size a bit as well. Many thanks to Ficbot for the additional editing.
Old 06-03-2011, 11:04 PM   #12
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
Thank you crich for starting us off with an ebook version! I started with a few error corrections since I had noticed them on reading the book, but then it turned into a much more extensive edit. It turned out to be quite interesting because reading through the book in this detailed way, it did make me think about some ways in for reading this series beyond just going chronologically one book at a time. There is some great info in this book on thematic or chronological approaches. It has made me excited to explore this series.

I noticed some OCR errors and checked them against a scanned version I found at Scribd. Especially, there were issues with numbers not being rendered correctly and with the joined 'ae' in words like 'Aeneid' messing everything up, so I took those out and made them just regular writing.

I removed the images, since they were messing up the page breaks, and removed as well the manually created table of contents and then used the standardized HTML headings Sigil provided in order to have a proper table of contents generated more easily and accurately (since I had moved some stuff around and made new sections)

Up until that point, it was just cleaning up the book as it was already. But I did make one major change that you should be aware of, and that's that I took out the general index. It referenced specific page numbers which were not relevant in an e-version, and it was also in very bad shape, many OCR errors, numerous random line breaks, pretty much incomprehensible. And it was massive and choked up Sigil every time I tried to edit it. If you are looking for specific keywords, the search function on your reader will likely do a much better job. I hate actually removing material from a real book, but I just could not get this massive block of incomprehensible text into any sort of useful condition, and my computer would not edit this. I did, however, edit and clean up the first lines of the poems index.

So, be aware if you are downloading my version instead of Crich's that even though it is cleaned up and in good condition, and has been proofed, it is MISSING the general index section. Personally, I think it is no great loss But if you are a completest and can't stand the thought of an upstart like me just deleting part of a book like that, then be aware that you may want to download both of the files
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 11:45 PM   #13
crich70
Grand Sorcerer

I imagine part of the errors crept in due to the original source epub. I got it at the Internet Archive and didn't realize there were so many problems with it. Of course I agree the page #'s don't match up with the ebook version since it was based on the pbook which has a fixed numbering unlike with the ebook where the page # can change depending on the formatting such as the font size. Index's I don't think can ever be made fully perfect due to that fact, but as I said Ficbot's re-editing is certainly appreciated.
Old 06-04-2011, 12:00 AM   #14
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
Oh yes, I am sure it was the original source Some of the stuff out there just gets scanned and dumped. That's why I appreciate the books here so much, since I know many of them have had personal attention.

I appreciate YOUR work as well, crich. I think the Harvard Classics are a fascinating collection; I am looking forward to reading them and this book has given me a starting point. I only mention the issue with the index because I want to make sure people understand that I have removed it so that those who really want a complete text will download both. I felt a little guilty about just deleting part of the book like that, but unfortunately, the text was just (to me) not fixable, and not terribly usable even if it was. So I made that judgment call

I think I have been bitten by the ebook-making bug and will probably be contributing other titles to Teleread, so I thank you for that as well. My first project, already commenced, is to format the Harvard Classics 15-minute-a-day reading guide into an actual anthology, with the actual selections included so that you can just download the book and read a section a day.
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 01:21 AM   #15
crich70
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ficbot View Post
Oh yes, I am sure it was the original source Some of the stuff out there just gets scanned and dumped. That's why I appreciate the books here so much, since I know many of them have had personal attention.

I appreciate YOUR work as well, crich. I think the Harvard Classics are a fascinating collection; I am looking forward to reading them and this book has given me a starting point. I only mention the issue with the index because I want to make sure people understand that I have removed it so that those who really want a complete text will download both. I felt a little guilty about just deleting part of the book like that, but unfortunately, the text was just (to me) not fixable, and not terribly usable even if it was. So I made that judgment call

I think I have been bitten by the ebook-making bug and will probably be contributing other titles to Teleread, so I thank you for that as well. My first project, already commenced, is to format the Harvard Classics 15-minute-a-day reading guide into an actual anthology, with the actual selections included so that you can just download the book and read a section a day.
Good luck on that project. It sounds very interesting. Sort of the same thing as the idea of reading the Bible in a year. Amazon I know has such a volume. Anyway such a volume would I'm sure be a very interesting addition to the Harvard Classics.