Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 01-06-2014, 07:30 AM   #1
bean224466
bean224466 began at the beginning.

Device: PocketBook
AZW3 paragraphs converted to chapters

This is the first time Calibre cannot convert az AZW3 book. If the book is converted to the old MOBI format, all paragraphs are converted into chapters. If I try to "convert" to AZW3, Calibre gives an error message, details enclosed. I use Calibre 1.18.
Attached Files
File Type: txt CalibreErrorMessage.txt (408.2 KB, 230 views)
bean224466 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 10:10 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Turn off heuristics in the conversion settings.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-06-2014, 10:21 AM   #3
bean224466

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Turn off heuristics in the conversion settings.
Tried it with and without heuristics, same result.
Old 01-06-2014, 11:04 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You need to turn them off in the individual conversion dialog. Not in preferences.
Old 01-06-2014, 11:12 AM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by bean224466 View Post
Tried it with and without heuristics, same result.
Did you turn it off for That Book, at the start of the conversion?
Calibre remembers the settings were previously used.

Preferences only affects books that HAVE NOT been previously converted (or you use the option to forget those uses)

Kovid. This is a reoccurring issue.

Would it be difficult to shade the settings background (green) when the books conversion setting MATCHES the current Preferences ?
Similar to how you do with metadata 'sorts'
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-06-2014, 11:30 AM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

There are too many preferences, using too many different kinds of widgets to make that practical.
Old 01-06-2014, 11:56 AM   #7
bean224466

Quote:
You need to turn them off in the individual conversion dialog. Not in preferences.
That's what I did. And having read your answer, I tried the conversion again, with a special attention on turning heuristics off for that specific conversion. Same result.
Old 01-06-2014, 11:59 AM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Then change the chapter detection expression to / since apparently your book is full of paragraphs that have class="chapter"

Last edited by kovidgoyal; 01-06-2014 at 12:08 PM.
Old 01-06-2014, 12:04 PM   #9
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
There are too many preferences, using too many different kinds of widgets to make that practical.
Makes a lot of sense.
I keep trying to think of a way that makes it real obvious to newer users that Preference:Conversion changes may no longer apply.
Old 01-06-2014, 05:33 PM   #10
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Suggestion : a 'yes/no' tweak that if 'yes' will highlight the Restore Defaults button (flashing yellow perhaps) when a book has specific conversion settings. For me book specific settings are the exception - just knowing a book has them would be useful to know.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 01-06-2014 at 05:38 PM.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 06:55 PM   #11
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
Suggestion : a 'yes/no' tweak that if 'yes' will highlight the Restore Defaults button (flashing yellow perhaps) when a book has specific conversion settings. For me book specific settings are the exception - just knowing a book has them would be useful to know.

BR
I can't think of 3 books out of 1000's that had a Unique setting.

True I have refined my settings over time, but old or new would be good.

Why not Flip the current usage.

Always use the Defaults in Preferences UNLESS you tick the SAVE THESE CUSTOMIZED BOOK SETTINGS box.
Old 01-06-2014, 09:51 PM   #12
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
I can't think of 3 books out of 1000's that had a Unique setting.

True I have refined my settings over time, but old or new would be good.

Why not Flip the current usage.

Always use the Defaults in Preferences UNLESS you tick the SAVE THESE CUSTOMIZED BOOK SETTINGS box.
When would you do that? Before or after the conversion. And on what basis would you choose to tick or not tick ?

If at some much later point in time I have cause to do another convert then I would still like to know that I have those book specific settings.

BR
Old 01-06-2014, 10:11 PM   #13
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

@BR: I'm not sure I understand the use case for indicating that the book has *some* non default settings, but not which those are. Once you know that, what would you do? Click Restore Defaults? But if you want to ensure your book is going to be converted with the defaults anyway, you can just click restore defaults without worrying if the book has custom settings or not.
Old 01-06-2014, 11:10 PM   #14
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Kovid, When a colleague asks if I could send them such and such paper in say LIT it would be nice to know that when I created the EPUB (my target format) in July last year from a DOCX (my most common input format) that I used book specific settings

Its only occasionally I need to do that, most often because the original was a PDF that I had to convert and translate.

How would I know which settings I changed for the book? The 'book' contents would probably give me enough clues, but I keep timestamped screen shots of 'important' preferences settings such as conversions, so I could eyeball compare if necessary.

If I could easily determine which of my existing books have specific settings then I would tag the books with 'special convert' and set a column icon (fat yellow C) if the tag was present. I guess its in the data column of the conversions options table - but that's a blob.

Its a just a nice to have

BR
Old 01-07-2014, 02:36 AM   #15
bean224466

Quote:
Then change the chapter detection expression to / since apparently your book is full of paragraphs that have class="chapter"
Kovid: Thank you; it worked. Another solution was to use no chapter marks. Until now I have not experimented with these settings.