Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe

Notices

Old 09-19-2011, 11:11 PM   #1
taywyn
taywyn began at the beginning.

Device: entourage pocket eDGe
Cannot get root (dingo)

I got my PE today and I've been trying to gain root. First I tried the ADB method from androidpolice.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2010/08...-instructions/

But that didn't work. I got adb to work, but it isn't root:
Code:
$ ./adb shell
$ busybox uname -a
Linux localhost 2.6.29 #1 PREEMPT Wed Sep 29 13:04:47 EDT 2010 armv5tejl GNU/Linux
$ busybox whoami
whoami: unknown uid 2000
Next I tried installing z4root, which "successfully installed permanent root", but when I try to run su, I get this lovely error:
Code:
$ su
link_image[1638]:  3749 could not load needed library 'libbinder.so' for 'su' (load_library[984]: Library 'libbinder.so' not found)CANNOT LINK EXECUTABLE
I tried to adb push Superuser.apk to the PE, but it said it was already installed (by z4root). How the heck do I root this thing?
taywyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 07:27 AM   #2
ivanjt
Guru
ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle dx; eDGe
What is your obsession with rooting the PE? There are only a very few things that require a rooted device and they won't work with 1.6 you have to update to ermine - 2.2 - for them to be useful, even z4root doesn't work on 1.6.
ivanjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-20-2011, 09:26 AM   #3
taywyn
taywyn began at the beginning.

Device: entourage pocket eDGe
I want to push arm5 copies of ldd and lsof and then futz with the framebuffers using native binaries, which I don't have sufficient permission to do without root. I guess I'll just load the ermine update.zip on it and retry z4root. Thanks.
taywyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 04:15 PM   #4
Gunnerp245
Gadget Freak
Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EE, Note 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanjt View Post
What is your obsession with rooting the PE? There are only a very few things that require a rooted device and they won't work with 1.6 you have to update to ermine - 2.2 - for them to be useful, even z4root doesn't work on 1.6.
Wasn't there an older version of Z4 that worked with Dingo?
Gunnerp245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 05:46 AM   #5
ivanjt
Guru
ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle dx; eDGe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnerp245 View Post
Wasn't there an older version of Z4 that worked with Dingo?
From my memory it was flaky at the best.
ivanjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert