Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 09-29-2010, 08:17 AM   #1
allie_88
allie_88 began at the beginning.

Device: None
Looking for advice!

Hi all,

I'm a young student from Melbourne Australia, and I'm currently trying to get my head around all the myriad possibilities of ereaders. There are so many! I wanted to see what people recommend for Aussies, given I think a lot of the companies dont sell here yet.

I'm really keen to get something with decent pdf capabilities, so I can store uni notes on it. It would also be good to be able to use a number of different formats, if possible. Also, student = poor, so some of the really pretty ones are a little out of my price range.

I've mostly been looking at the new Sonys, and the EZ reader, but I'm still open-minded about all the rest. So please give me your opinions!

Thanks in advance.
allie_88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 10:35 PM   #2
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
The reader hardware is the last thing you need to worry about.

First decide what you want to do with ebooks and *where* you're going to get the books.

Then you can decide how much *you* care about specific features like wireless, touchscreen, physical buttons and keyboard, dictionaries, search, note-taking & highlighting, TTS, typography overrides and customization, to say nothing of screen size, battery life and ergonomics.

I don't think nationality is likely to be the best discriminator for picking a reader that meets *your* needs but since it's your money you're the best suited to decide what matters to you and how much.

It's not that hard to draw up a weighted wishlist and then see how the existing commercial products stack up. You might even find it an educational experience.
(The methodology works for a lot of things in life.)
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-30-2010, 03:42 AM   #3
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
Good to have your company, Allie. Have you thought of the new Oz-released Kogan? Best wishes. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote