Notices

Old 07-21-2010, 06:09 PM   #16
kgn
Groupie
kgn has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Pocketbook 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by riverteeth View Post
The current version just doesn't fit in with the Mac environment; it's pure Gnome/KDE. The interface just feels unfamiliar.
Yes - that is the "problem". It is also a bit unfamiliar in the Windows environment as well. It is like running a Java application - it is simply not a standard interface, and it can be slightly off-putting.

But do not confuse an unfamiliar interface with "unprofessional". The developer is always constrained by the tools he has to work with. As a professional programmer myself, I find nothing unprofessional about Calibre. In fact, I am impressed with how much has been done in so little time.

Personally, I really don't care in the least the icons used on buttons, or even their layout. Or a myriad of other interface issues. In the end you use a piece of software because it performs a useful function, not because it looks polished.

iTunes is a good example. It looks quite good - but it is TERRIBLE to use. It is a horrible program - and that alone has stopped me from buying any Apple products that use it.
kgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 09:28 PM   #17
Nathanael
Groupie
Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sibrary G5
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgn View Post
But do not confuse an unfamiliar interface with "unprofessional".
(Did the OP use the word "unfamiliar"?) Depends on what you mean by "professional". We hear phrases like "professional look and feel" all the time, and you can't pretend you don't understand what they mean.

As Kovid stated in an earlier post, features and looks are orthagonal. I've seen a ton of software, obviously created by very talented technical people, that just looks terrible (I'm not implying that Calibre falls into this category), because the programmer either was writing for himself and didn't bother, or he doesn't understand the principles of good UI, or isn't a graphic designer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgn View Post
Personally, I really don't care in the least the icons used on buttons, or even their layout. Or a myriad of other interface issues. In the end you use a piece of software because it performs a useful function, not because it looks polished.
You've used the wrong pronoun here. You may choose function over form every time, but you're a geek, which disqualifies you as a representative sample Your feelings on iTunes are simply a case in point.

In the OP's defense, eye candy is an important consideration for most people. As reticient as I am to admit it, because it sounds shallow, I include myself here. I find it easier to forgive a product's shortcomings when it's wrapped up in a sexy package. Right or wrong, it's still a truism.

Quote:
Originally Posted by avinatbezeq
I rather believe it's actually only 987,013 more features ;-)
Ah, but you're forgetting. Kovid undoubtedly has 12,987 new features lurking around in CVS he's waiting to spring on us.

==Nathanael
Nathanael is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-29-2010, 10:12 PM   #18
bjones6416
↓↓ Skirt!! Earrings!!
bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Acer netbook, JetBook Lite, Sony PRS-300, Kindle 2, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Oh yeah, and iTunes, this one is particularly featureful
You just made me bust out laughing with this!

(Having just very reluctantly upgraded my iTunes software for the first time in about a year. I always wait until I'm about forced to upgrade because something bad generally happens to my computer.)
bjones6416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 10:22 PM   #19
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
For what I use Calibre for, no other single program or suite comes even close.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 11:27 PM   #20
Pushka
Wizard
Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, Ipad, Iphone, Nexus and PPW
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
I'm with Worldwalker on this one.
You sound like Ricky Bobby from Talladega Nights, he thought as long as you start the statement with "With all due respect..." you could say anything you like after that statement.
Yep, another one that presses my button is when people say "i'm not racist BUT (and then go on to say something totally dreadful)

Calibre is a wonderful programme, and where else can you ask a question directly to the developer and get an answer.
Pushka is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-30-2010, 12:36 PM   #21
veysey
Enthusiast
veysey doesn't litterveysey doesn't litter

Device: Sony ?
I know this sounds snarky, but ... when I hear "paid alternative to calibre" I think: "Why don't you just pay for calibre?" I think people automatically assume paid software is of higher quality. In this case I think calibre is fantastic. Maybe if it wasn't free it would be more obvious how great it is.
veysey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 10:28 PM   #22
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Sometimes paid is not as good as free.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 10:22 AM   #23
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Hmmm ... maybe what Kovid needs to do is sell CalibrePro for, say, $50. It would be exactly the same as calibre, except that it would have an upper-case 'C' and only be updated for major releases. Oh, and have a fancy website full of useless glitz and tacky renderings of non-existent boxes.

j/k ... I think ...
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 02:14 PM   #24
jee
Enthusiast
jee began at the beginning.

Device: enTourage eDGe
Calibre is a great program. But two things about it bother me: it is very slow when it comes to several hundreds of books (haven't tried to add all of my books). The other thing is that it would be the best software if I could actually make it to recognize my books and download the metadata automatically. Yes, I have tried to do it, but it just doesn't recognize my mostly scanned and free ebooks. So I just don't want to enter details for around ten thousands books manually.

However, it does have like a ton of useful features and I use it, but not as my main cataloging software. I use Alfa Manager.

As for the paid vs free software, I think it is comparable to OpenOffice and Microsoft Office. People mainly use the paid version because of the software speed. Although, I'm not sure that's always the case, since many people are actually using Adobe software .
jee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 04:32 PM   #25
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I've had no speed problems with over 2500 books in calibre.

People don't use Microsoft Office because it's faster; they use it because it's sold to them, usually by some hard-sell salesman at wherever they bought their computer. I've watched such a person telling a customer that it is illegal to use OpenOffice on a Windows machine so that he could get a fatter commission. I myself don't use MS-Office, but friends who do tell me that if anything, OOo is actually faster.

What metadata is it that you're looking for and can't find? For what books? I might be able to give you some pointers.
Old 08-03-2010, 05:41 PM   #26
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite (away from home) + 1 spare, 32" TV (at home)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worldwalker View Post
...People don't use Microsoft Office because it's faster; they use it because it's sold to them, usually by some hard-sell salesman at wherever they bought their computer. I've watched such a person telling a customer that it is illegal to use OpenOffice on a Windows machine so that he could get a fatter commission. I myself don't use MS-Office, but friends who do tell me that if anything, OOo is actually faster...
I've checked Open Office and wasn't all that impressed. The first thing I checked, since it is critical to a lot of work I do, was enhanced metafiles. I wasn't able to find anything like it in Open Office so I will continue to use Microsnot Office 2007. I have one of the more advanced versions on my desktop because that is what it came with but all I ever use is Word and Excel. I might use Power Point someday. I don't need Outlook since I use web based email (even if I did decide to use something else, it would be Outlet Express). I don't need Publisher (even though I do some publishing); Word has been able to handle everything I do quite well. I have Office 2007 Home & Student on my netbook and it is all I need.

Someone who has simpler needs than I do would probably be happy with Open Office. My neighbor across the street from me runs a part time accounting business, including income taxes, (she's semi-retired) and has found Open Office meets her needs.
Lady Fitzgerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 06:05 PM   #27
banjobama
Busy Read'n
banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by veysey View Post
I know this sounds snarky, but ... when I hear "paid alternative to calibre" I think: "Why don't you just pay for calibre?" I think people automatically assume paid software is of higher quality. In this case I think calibre is fantastic. Maybe if it wasn't free it would be more obvious how great it is.
This is exactly what I thought too.

Once you try calibre, you never go back. Maybe the OP has not attempted to use the software that accompanies his ebook reader of choice, and therefore cannot appreciate calibre.

Personally, I care little for what the program looks like. The buttons are big and obvious, which I appreciate. You don't have to be a programmer to use it. I open it, do whatever I want to do, and close it. I don't leave it open there to admire or stare at, or wish it looked expensive.

Last edited by banjobama; 08-03-2010 at 06:10 PM.
banjobama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 06:44 PM   #28
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon

Sure, for some people with specialized needs, OpenOffice (or any given program) might not do what they need. I wish I could have some Corel PhotoPaint functionality in Photoshop, too. *sigh* It's sad when the de-facto industry standard is still somewhat of a compromise. But for the average home user, who doesn't even know what 90% of the things he sees in the menus do, Volkswriter for MS-DOS would probably do what he wants. Hell, I do my writing in a text editor; if I got any more retro, I'd be prowling the antique shops for a typewriter.

Sure, there are people (you apparently being one of them) who need something specialized that makes $500 you paid for MS Office Pro worthwhile. I've paid that much for software before, and I will again, because I need it for what buys my groceries. But for most users, MS-Office isn't $200 more useful than OOo, let alone the $500 they'd need to pay for the full package. For the average user, a cheap PC with Firefox, Thunderbird, OpenOffice, and of course calibre will blow the doors off the most expensive of everything the industry had to offer ten years ago. (then they can donate the money they've saved to buy a capital 'C' for calibre)

Last edited by Worldwalker; 08-03-2010 at 06:46 PM.
Old 08-03-2010, 07:24 PM   #29
JTAL604622
Enthusiast
JTAL604622 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 900
Alfa...

I have played with it...not overly impressed.

I think Calibre is much better..but i do like the thumbnail library view...any chance we will get this in the next version...? Taht would look killer on my 27 inch monintor...

but compared to the other versions...i have tried most of them and they are all missing something compared to calibre.

It was not easier to add anything to the library and seemed counter intuitave (sp), but if thats all i knew than i would prob love it...
JTAL604622 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 08:14 PM   #30
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite (away from home) + 1 spare, 32" TV (at home)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worldwalker View Post
Sure, there are people (you apparently being one of them) who need something specialized that makes $500 you paid for MS Office Pro worthwhile. I've paid that much for software before, and I will again, because I need it for what buys my groceries. But for most users, MS-Office isn't $200 more useful than OOo, let alone the $500 they'd need to pay for the full package. For the average user, a cheap PC with Firefox, Thunderbird, OpenOffice, and of course calibre will blow the doors off the most expensive of everything the industry had to offer ten years ago. (then they can donate the money they've saved to buy a capital 'C' for calibre)
The Pro version of MS Office that came on my computer is a single use license installed by the builder. It didn't come with its own installation disk (it's included on the recovery disk along with a bunch of crapware) and probably didn't cost me much more than $100. The installation of MS Office Home and Student on my netbook only cost $149 on sale. I "own" that copy.

It is true, however, most people wouldn't benefit from the extra bells and whistles that MS Office has over Open Office.
Lady Fitzgerald is offline   Reply With Quote