Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-16-2012, 03:50 PM   #1
PBank
PBank began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
Kobo site credit card issue

I have never been able to get my very standard visa credit card accepted by Kobo.com - I get a message that it cannot be authorized. I do lots of online purchasing and have never had this problem before (and the credit card company says they can see no reason for this). I have contacted Kobo customer services, but they just keep asking the same basic questions and are not really going to help. Not a big deal, as I can and do buy books elsewhere instead and am inclined to continue my default boycotting of their site even if it did work now. But I am really curious as to why this is happening, and wondering if it is just me or if there are other people with this problem.
PBank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 04:49 PM   #2
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
Maybe a call or email to Kobo.
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-16-2012, 10:53 PM   #3
PBank

Haven't tried phoning, though I suggested they call me. They told me they do not take credit cards by phone, so no point. As I say - I am not really going to try any more to fix this, I was more wondering if it was a problem others had or was some strange and mysterious anomaly with my credit card.
Old 01-17-2012, 12:38 AM   #4
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Arc, HTC Desire C
Perhaps set up a PayPal account?
JD Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 07:14 AM   #5
thepossum
Zealot
thepossum can self-interpret dreams as they happen.thepossum can self-interpret dreams as they happen.thepossum can self-interpret dreams as they happen.thepossum can self-interpret dreams as they happen.thepossum can self-interpret dreams as they happen.thepossum can self-interpret dreams as they happen.thepossum can self-interpret dreams as they happen.thepossum can self-interpret dreams as they happen.thepossum can self-interpret dreams as they happen.thepossum can self-interpret dreams as they happen.thepossum can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Kobo
I use prepaid credit cards with Kobo, and generally don't have trouble linking them to my Kobo account.

However, I DO have to make sure that I have "registered" my card first, by logging in to the website and making sure that my postal code is valid. If my credit card doesn't have a Canadian postal code, then I cannot register it with my Canadian Kobo account at my Canadian address.

And sometimes, when I first get the new card, and have JUST registered the address, Kobo's preauth checking fails multiple times. I do not know if it's because the credit card's database takes time to update after registering the new postal code, but that's my best guess.
thepossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-17-2012, 09:28 AM   #6
psy65
Enthusiast
psy65 doesn't litterpsy65 doesn't litter

Device: kobo touch
another suggestion: I'd use kobo gift card available at futureshop...
psy65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 12:59 PM   #7
PBank

Thanks for the suggestions, people!
Old 01-23-2012, 05:29 PM   #8
bluesgirl1976
bluesgirl1976 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterbluesgirl1976 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterbluesgirl1976 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterbluesgirl1976 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterbluesgirl1976 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterbluesgirl1976 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterbluesgirl1976 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterbluesgirl1976 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterbluesgirl1976 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterbluesgirl1976 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterbluesgirl1976 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: kobo touch/Kobo wi-fi
Do you still get charged the Foreign fee?

If I purchased the Kobo gift card would I then avoid the Foreign country fee being charged? My bank (I guess...my bank says it is Kobo and Kobo says it is my bank) is charging a % of each order in an additional fee...would be nice to avoid this!
bluesgirl1976 is offline   Reply With Quote