Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 06-07-2009, 02:13 PM   #16
ahi
Wizard
ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Alrighty. Here is the ePub without major malfunction--as far as I can tell. Valid too.

Any suggestions as to how to make it look better? (Assuming it needs it.)

- Ahi
Attached Files
File Type: epub taowde.epub (82.9 KB, 240 views)
ahi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 11:37 PM   #17
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
I think you should consider hanging indentation, and place the numbers in superscript. Actually, I think you should remove the numbers entirely. They're dominating the text. Bu in superscript they probably won't.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 11:51 PM   #18
ahi
Wizard
ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
I think you should consider hanging indentation, and place the numbers in superscript. Actually, I think you should remove the numbers entirely. They're dominating the text. Bu in superscript they probably won't.
Really? Why a hanging indent? (Particularly since the way the numbers currently appear they do sort of produce a hanging indent type visual effect.)

Also, you don't think the numbers would be almost unreadable at lower font sizes if they are in superscript?

I'll try your suggestion of removing the numbers and/or superscripting them, though this translation generally uses them as prominently as they appear in the ePub.

Can you take a look at one of the PDFs ( www.PaxLibrorum.com/ebooks/ ) and tell me if you find the numbers off-putting there too? If not, then perhaps there is some subtle formatting (short of subscripting or wholesale removal) that could make them more tolerable in the ePub too.

Thank you for taking the time, Nate! (Not to mention thank you for taking the somewhat ornary bait that lured you here.)

- Ahi
Old 06-09-2009, 12:38 AM   #19
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahi View Post
Really? Why a hanging indent? (Particularly since the way the numbers currently appear they do sort of produce a hanging indent type visual effect.)

Also, you don't think the numbers would be almost unreadable at lower font sizes if they are in superscript?

I'll try your suggestion of removing the numbers and/or superscripting them, though this translation generally uses them as prominently as they appear in the ePub.

Can you take a look at one of the PDFs ( www.PaxLibrorum.com/ebooks/ ) and tell me if you find the numbers off-putting there too? If not, then perhaps there is some subtle formatting (short of subscripting or wholesale removal) that could make them more tolerable in the ePub too.

Thank you for taking the time, Nate! (Not to mention thank you for taking the somewhat ornary bait that lured you here.)

- Ahi
The numbers are the least important part of the text, and yet with the current formatting they dominate. They are the least important because I strongly doubt that they were in the original text. I think the translator added them. You might want to check and see how the original is formatted; it might give you ideas.

Another possibility would be to only number 1,5 10, 15, etc in parenthesis.

I checked the PDF, and they dominate there as well.

As for the indentation, I would experiment with both hanging and regular indentation to see which works best. My guess is that hanging indentation will be better.

On a related note, I think the formatting as supplied by the original translator is wrong. Points 3 and 4 be written together. Points 5 through 10 should be subordinate to 3&4. Also, point 13 should be subordinate to point 12.

I think you should consider not following the editorial decisions of the original translator. I think it would make a better book.

Last edited by Nate the great; 06-09-2009 at 12:41 AM.
Old 06-09-2009, 07:41 AM   #20
ahi
Wizard

Quote:
The numbers are the least important part of the text, and yet with the current formatting they dominate. They are the least important because I strongly doubt that they were in the original text. I think the translator added them. You might want to check and see how the original is formatted; it might give you ideas.

Another possibility would be to only number 1,5 10, 15, etc in parenthesis.

I checked the PDF, and they dominate there as well.

As for the indentation, I would experiment with both hanging and regular indentation to see which works best. My guess is that hanging indentation will be better.

On a related note, I think the formatting as supplied by the original translator is wrong. Points 3 and 4 be written together. Points 5 through 10 should be subordinate to 3&4. Also, point 13 should be subordinate to point 12.

I think you should consider not following the editorial decisions of the original translator. I think it would make a better book.
This translation dates 1910 and in its original publication is heavily annotated... which may explain the use of numbers. So you might well be right in your suggestions.

Due to a desire to remain faithful to the (acknowledgedly imperfect) original (1910 edition) I am unlikely to make editorial changes per se... but upon reflection, the numbers might not be a terrible idea to remove in an unannotated edition.

Thanks, Nate!

- Ahi
Old 06-09-2009, 02:48 PM   #21
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Quote:
This translation dates 1910 and in its original publication is heavily annotated... which may explain the use of numbers. So you might well be right in your suggestions.

Due to a desire to remain faithful to the (acknowledgedly imperfect) original (1910 edition) I am unlikely to make editorial changes per se... but upon reflection, the numbers might not be a terrible idea to remove in an unannotated edition.

Thanks, Nate!

- Ahi
Now the numbering makes sense. Since each refers to a specific annotation I think you should move them to the end of the related sentences(1).
Old 06-09-2009, 02:54 PM   #22
ahi
Wizard

Quote:
Now the numbering makes sense. Since each refers to a specific annotation I think you should move them to the end of the related sentences(1).
Eek! You have most radical ideas, Sir!

I think this is not 100% right. I believe the original Chinese is in the form of quotations, and though they were not numbered, they certainly are discernibly separate.

How about this...

I think I am going to leave the ePub without major alterations like you are suggesting (other than perhaps adjusting the spacing here and there a bit); but will make a version of it available for the MobileRead community to hack away/fix up to their heart's content.

It is public domain after all.

- Ahi
Old 06-10-2009, 09:03 AM   #23
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
You might want to check and see how the original is formatted; it might give you ideas.
Given that the original is written in Chinese, I really don't think that its formatting will be terribly helpful from the point of view of giving "hints" for an English version .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 09:26 AM   #24
ahi
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Given that the original is written in Chinese, I really don't think that its formatting will be terribly helpful from the point of view of giving "hints" for an English version .
He he. How the hell do you simulate strung-together bamboo sticks on a 6" screen?!?!?!

- Ahi
Old 06-10-2009, 01:09 PM   #25
rogue_ronin
Banned
rogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-books

Device: Nokia 770 (fbreader)
Quote:
He he. How the hell do you simulate strung-together bamboo sticks on a 6" screen?!?!?!

- Ahi
Like everything else in life: with duct tape.

m a r

rogue_ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 04:29 PM   #26
ahi
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogue_ronin View Post
Like everything else in life: with duct tape.

m a r

Your ideas intrigue me, Sir!

Please prepare and post an audiovisual demonstration of your proposed methodology!

- Ahi