Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-10-2013, 06:31 AM   #1
mikolajek
mikolajek began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PaperWhite IV
Question AZW3 mailing - explanation needed

I've reviewed the forums and already realized that others had the same problems with mailing AZW3 files to their Kindles. Apparently Amazon doesn't accept AZW3 files delivered via e-mail. It's annoying, but...

However, more and more e-book stores now praise themselves with having some newer books available in AZW3 format. I've already purchased some of them and have them e-mailed to my Kindle directly from the e-book store. And... success!!! Even though my purchases were AZW3 files, they reached my Kindle successfully. I've checked them with Calibre and they were indeed AZW3 files.

However, when I try to e-mail the same files (downloaded from an e-book store as AZW3 files), I receive the (in)famous Amazon error notification. So what's going on?

I've checked with e-book stores and they claim they make no 'tricks' with sending their files. In fact, I had to add their e-mail addresses as trusted addresses at my Amazon Kindle account. So if they are able to send AZW3 files somehow, why can't we?

Does anyone have any explanation on that?
mikolajek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 06:39 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
You can e-mail "dual format" ebooks which contain both a Mobi and a KF8 version of the book. (Amazon's "Kindlegen" tool creates such books.) When Amazon's servers subsequently deliver the book to a device, they send either the Mobi or the KF8 version of the book, depending on the device or app capability.

What you can't do is email a "pure" KF8 book without a Mobi component. (You can email a pure Mobi book, but not a pure KF8 book.)
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 06:44 AM   #3
mikolajek
mikolajek began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PaperWhite IV
Thank you for the answer, I got it. So you believe e-stores send both formats to Kindle and that's why Amazon servers "are nice" to such messages? And then only the KF8 version of the file is sent to the device?

Hmmm... I can still transfer those files with Calibre without any problems but I'd like to have the sync possibility that files registered on the Kindle account provide.
mikolajek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 06:52 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikolajek View Post
Thank you for the answer, I got it. So you believe e-stores send both formats to Kindle and that's why Amazon servers "are nice" to such messages? And then only the KF8 version of the file is sent to the device?
Yes, exactly. Try creating a "dual" Mobi/KF8 book with Calibre and mailing that.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 03:31 PM   #5
gers1978
Addict
gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Yes, exactly. Try creating a "dual" Mobi/KF8 book with Calibre and mailing that.
How do you create a "dual" AZW3? As far as I know you can only create dual mobi files, not dual azw3.
gers1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 04:22 PM   #6
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by gers1978 View Post
How do you create a "dual" AZW3? As far as I know you can only create dual mobi files, not dual azw3.
Unless I'm completely mistaken, AZW3 simply (generally) means "KF8 only". AZW (generally) means "KF7 only". And MOBI can be anything, KF7 or KF8, or a combination of both, or even non-digital-restrictions-management-infected pure original mobi. As far as I'm aware, Kindles will happily read all of these. In other words: the file extension shouldn't really matter, but the safest bet is to simply go with ".mobi".

But as said, take this with a grain of salt, I'm not entirely sure.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
azw3, kindle, mailing, problem