Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 12-29-2011, 11:47 AM   #1
Kai Winters
Lover of Books
Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+
Suggestions for my Galaxy 5

Hi all,
I just purchased, yesterday, a Samsung Galaxy 5 player.
I am using it primarily as an easy to use and carry ereader and it works great. I love the light weight.
I'm currently using Mantano free reader and it works fine. I've also dloaded the free versions of Moon+Reader and Aldiko. I've not used either yet but have played around with them a bit. Moon picked up the 2 books on the device but Aldiko did not so I guess I have to do a bit of reading to learn how to use it.

If you have a favorite or must have app, etc. for this device I'd appreciate a heads up. The same goes for any tips and tricks.
I'll be searching the web for sites, etc. dedicated to this device so I can get as much out of it as I can.
Thanks,
Kai
Kai Winters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 11:59 AM   #2
Tabatha
Groupie
Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KTouch-PW-WIFI Galaxy Tablet 7 Plus 32gb Galaxy Player 5.0-4.2
Ordered one from Amazon, and patiently waiting for Postman to arrive today. Have a Nook Color, so have been accumulating the free Amazon apps of the day, which should be able to use on this Galaxy 5 as well. Will look into Mantano and Moon+ reader apps, thanks for the tips.

Have googled forums for it, and anythingbutipod has a thread, as well as android forums.

Just arrived, now to charge and check it out.
Tabatha is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-29-2011, 02:39 PM   #3
Kai Winters
Lover of Books
Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Read the "how to" for Aldiko. Just tap on "sd card" and there are the books. Tapped on dload and there they are to read.
Also bought 8gb of storage for it...$12.00 at Radio Shack...nice.
Old 12-30-2011, 09:35 AM   #4
Jack Tingle
Punctuation Fetishist
Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Nexus 7 (2013), Galaxy S5 phone, Galaxy Tab 4 8.0
Here are the things I've added to mine that I found worthwhile (since 25 Dec.):
-Kindle--because I have a K3.
-Google Books--It only seems right on an Android device.
-Cool Reader--Good multiformat reader
-Mantano--For ePub, maybe, I haven't decided yet.
-Facebook--Doesn't everyone?
-RedLaser--I always wanted to scan bar codes.
Almost anyone should have these on board.

Other things specific to me:
-Slate--news fix
-Xfinity--only one TV has a guide
-Canon EPP--I have a Canon wi-fi printer
-Solitaire--time waster
-AndFTP--still doing setup--non-simple
-My Paints--doodling
Those are for specific tasks I do that other people probably don't.

I'm also going to add an RPN calculator app, but there are several and I haven't decided which one yet. Almost anything should be better than my HP33S. (Yuck! Silver, plum and pine? Chevron-shaped keypad? WTF were they thinking?) I'm leaning towards a straight-up HP15c emulator, but there's a nice extended calc with a zillion unit conversions built in that looks interesting.

Incidentally, if you import bookmarks in a Netscape bookmark file, use the file:///sdcard... prefix to get the browser to see them, then add the bookmarks manually.

Regards,
Jack Tingle
Jack Tingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 10:42 AM   #5
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Tingle View Post
-Facebook--Doesn't everyone?
I de-installed the pre-installed app as soon as I rooted it... Actually, that and twitter were the main reason for rooting so I could de-install them!
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-30-2011, 12:37 PM   #6
steven522
binomial: homo legentem
steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iriver Story HD; Archos 80 G9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
I de-installed [facebook] as soon as I rooted it... Actually, that and twitter were the main reason for rooting so I could de-install them!
Testify!

Facebook: The AOL of the 21st Century.
steven522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 05:52 PM   #7
Jack Tingle
Punctuation Fetishist
Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yeah, yeah, sure, sure. Your strength is as of the strength of ten because your heart is clean. You shall be lifted directly to heaven come the Rapture because of the purity of your essence, yadda, yadda. Soon. Please. I promise, no one on Facebook will notice you're gone.

Now as to useful discourse:
I've been shopping for a case. An old safety-glasses case fits, but is a little too long. The pocket clip is also annoying. It also lacks a zipper, flap or any other kind of securing method. On line showed slim pickings, unless you want to spend $40 for a custom leather case. (Sniff--mmmm, leather)

It turns out the G5 will fit in a Nintendo DS case ($13 at Walmart). If you don't mind the rather putrid colors (mine's an off shade of teal), and (in my case) a vinyl bubble-texture exterior decoration, it's a very protective case (bubble-wrap exterior is a plus here), with places for cords as well.

My guess is I have no fear of it being stolen by anyone other than the color-blind, or someone under sixteen. I'll probably Sharpie over the silk-screened Nintendo logo. That should take care of the teenagers. Perhaps the icky feel of the vinyl bubbles will put off the color-blind. I'll have trouble losing it in my briefcase; nothing else in there matches it.

Regards,
Jack Tingle
Old 12-30-2011, 05:59 PM   #8
Jack Tingle
Punctuation Fetishist

By the way, neither Facebook or twitter comes pre-loaded on the YP-G70C. You probably have the wrong thread.

Regards,
Jack Tingle
Old 12-31-2011, 12:11 AM   #9
Kai Winters
Lover of Books

There seems to be very few cases for the 5. I'm using one of those micro fiber bags some sun glasses come with. I have one that fits it perfectly. It offers no real protection but it is better than nothing.

Personally I love Facebook. I'm able to keep in touch with friends and family in a way that a phone call just can't compare. I've also reconnected with childhood friends that I hadn't heard from in decades.

I haven't had a chance to read all of the users manual but it is pretty decent.
I like being able to have no icons on the first page. I prefer just the wall paper with the bottom icons.

I using Aldiko, Moon + Reader and Mantano. They are all nice and I've used Mantano on my Kindle Fire but right now I must say I like Aldiko a bit more though the simulated page turning on Moon is pretty cool.

I installed an 8gb storage card yesterday. It shows up as a separate usb drive when I connect the 5 and when I transfer a book from Calibre to the 5 it stores it on the storage drive rather than the 5's main storage. I'll have to read the manual to see if it talks about that. It also a few steps when importing a book using Aldiko.
Old 12-31-2011, 04:04 AM   #10
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
By the way, neither Facebook or twitter comes pre-loaded on the YP-G70C. You probably have the wrong thread.

Regards,
Jack Tingle
I figured that, I simply responded to the "doesn't everyone".

But, to me, that's a great + on the Player... No facebook pre-installed, so no need to root to remove it...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 07:39 AM   #11
HowGozit
Connoisseur
HowGozit knows what time it isHowGozit knows what time it isHowGozit knows what time it isHowGozit knows what time it isHowGozit knows what time it isHowGozit knows what time it isHowGozit knows what time it isHowGozit knows what time it isHowGozit knows what time it isHowGozit knows what time it isHowGozit knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS650, Kobo, Asus Tab 8, iPod Touch, Galaxy Tab, Surface Pr2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai Winters View Post
Hi all,
I just purchased, yesterday, a Samsung Galaxy 5 player.
I am using it primarily as an easy to use and carry ereader and it works great. I love the light weight.
I'm currently using Mantano free reader and it works fine. I've also dloaded the free versions of Moon+Reader and Aldiko. I've not used either yet but have played around with them a bit. Moon picked up the 2 books on the device but Aldiko did not so I guess I have to do a bit of reading to learn how to use it.

If you have a favorite or must have app, etc. for this device I'd appreciate a heads up. The same goes for any tips and tricks.
I'll be searching the web for sites, etc. dedicated to this device so I can get as much out of it as I can.
Thanks,
Kai
I use Kindle - works well and I have Kindle on all my tablets using IOS, Android or Windows (7 devices - don't ask - plus a Kindle for my wife).
For ePub, I have gravitated to FBReader. I can load ZIP's full of ePubs on the 16GB SD card and read them at will.

The only other apps I have is a wifi sniffer and Dragon Fly..

I have ezPDF but PDF's really aren't formatted small enough. Oh - also the Logos bible app.

I've had the galaxy wifi 5 for about 4 months now. I charge it about every 2-4 days. I have a soft plastic case that covers the back and sides and a front screen skin.

Ross
HowGozit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 11:50 AM   #12
Tabatha
Groupie
Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm loving it. Have Kindle app, as I also have K4, app 2 sd Pro, Angry Birds, Bejeweled 2, and Amazon app store as I've been getting the free daily apps.

Popped in a 32gb card, so have as much as I'll ever need. Need to put printershare paid, dolphin browser and a few others on. Also want to read the manual which I downloaded. Very happy facebook and twitter were not on it as I don't do facebook, so far, no need to root.

Have a solid rubber back cover, & screensaver on it, and it fits nicely in the Vera Bradley Wristlets, which have a pocket inside for headphones. Also ordered the $7.99 gps slipcase on Amazon as others have stated it fits fine with the gel/rubber back on.
Old 12-31-2011, 12:23 PM   #13
Jack Tingle
Punctuation Fetishist

Quote:
It turns out the G5 will fit in a Nintendo DS case ($13 at Walmart). If you don't mind the rather putrid colors (mine's an off shade of teal), and (in my case) a vinyl bubble-texture exterior decoration, it's a very protective case (bubble-wrap exterior is a plus here), with places for cords as well.
Damn! I paid $9 too much at Walmart. Amazon has a much nicer looking baby pink EVA case for a Nintendo DS for $4.04. Instant gratification has a price.
<http://www.amazon.com/Nintendo-Lite-Carrying-Hard-Shell/dp/B0026NDYNE/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1325351903&sr =1-1>
Who'd have guessed that GPSes and DSes were the right size for a G5 case.

OBTW, if you're willing to spend $2.50 more, the same case comes in a really sharp looking silver. And there's black for a buck and a half more than the pink. I'll stick with the putrid teal bubble-wrap Walmart case, since it's a sunk cost. Sigh.

Regards,
Jack Tingle
Old 12-31-2011, 12:27 PM   #14
Jack Tingle
Punctuation Fetishist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai Winters View Post
I like being able to have no icons on the first page. I prefer just the wall paper with the bottom icons.
I strike a middle ground. Being an old WM6 kind of guy, I put the time and date widgets on page 1, along with 4 icons I use a lot, and banished the rest to page 2.

Regards,
Jack Tingle
Old 12-31-2011, 01:00 PM   #15
Tabatha
Groupie

This is the one I purchased as noted on anythingbutipod forums.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...00_i01_details

Only wish it came in other colors.