Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-16-2007, 08:46 PM   #46
kjn24
Enthusiast
kjn24 began at the beginning.

Device: eBookwise
That's it!! It looks like one of those 'pads' that Yeoman Rand kept giving to Captain Kirk!! I knew it looked familiar.
Whew! I feel better now.....
Kathy
kjn24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 12:21 AM   #47
AlexC
Connoisseur
AlexC will become famous soon enoughAlexC will become famous soon enoughAlexC will become famous soon enoughAlexC will become famous soon enoughAlexC will become famous soon enoughAlexC will become famous soon enoughAlexC will become famous soon enough

Device: Apple iPad; iRex iLiad
This is making me nostalgic for my VIC-20.
AlexC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 08:23 AM   #48
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjn24 View Post
That's it!! It looks like one of those 'pads' that Yeoman Rand kept giving to Captain Kirk!! I knew it looked familiar.
Whew! I feel better now.....
Kathy
From what I heard Scotty used the Kindle to control his fancy beam transporter...

Click image for larger version

Name:	scotty.jpeg
Views:	503
Size:	26.4 KB
ID:	7310
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 08:41 AM   #49
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Scobleizer has a lot to say about the Kindle, but he cannot

Quote:
Amazon is said to be releasing its new “Kindle” eBook Reader on Monday.

I won’t be at the press conference. They asked me to be there, but I am turning down all travel. But, I have a LOT to say about this — I wish I could say more now. So, check back on Monday.
http://scobleizer.com/2007/11/16/amazons-kindle/
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 09:03 AM   #50
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Reuters has updated their initial news reporting on the rumored Kindle release. They added the following statement (emphasis mine):

Quote:
News the retailer planned to launch its mobile reader was first reported on the CNET Web site and was confirmed to Reuters by a source close to the launch.
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 10:00 AM   #51
CommanderROR
eink fanatic
CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: STAReBOOK, iRex Iliad, Sony 505, Kindle 2
So, I guess I shoud start looking for a religion, then learning how to pray to that particular god and then do it, all between now and monday so that maybe that deity can influence Amazon in such a way that they launch their Kindle and associated delivery platform in Europe...
CommanderROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 10:03 AM   #52
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Okay, now I am holding my breath.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 10:05 AM   #53
CommanderROR
eink fanatic
CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

I would not recommend that NatCh...even if they Do announce the Kindle on Monday, you won't hear because the max. time a person can hold his/her breath is only a few minutes...
Old 11-17-2007, 10:10 AM   #54
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by CommanderROR View Post
So, I guess I shoud start looking for a religion, then learning how to pray to that particular god and then do it, all between now and monday so that maybe that deity can influence Amazon in such a way that they launch their Kindle and associated delivery platform in Europe...
If they sell it in Europe, it will be 400 Euros because $=€.

But if they do that, I am willing to buy some here and ship it internationally. I have enough funds temporarily available that I can afford to do it at cost.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 10:12 AM   #55
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
Okay, now I am holding my breath.
I'm really glad that I'm in VA and you're in TN. I wasn't looking forward to giving you mouth to mouth.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 10:15 AM   #56
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I meant that metaphorically
Old 11-17-2007, 10:22 AM   #57
CommanderROR
eink fanatic

Well...you could have said so...
Old 11-17-2007, 10:30 AM   #58
CCDMan
CCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toys

Device: *****
Is there any actual size mentioned in any of the rumors? I would think the screen would not be useful if much smaller than the Sony. If the screen was that size, that would make the whole item, as shown, much bigger as well as somewhat thicker than the Sony. That much bigger probably also means that much heavier. If it is that size, it is no longer "hold with one hand", which is what one expects from most books, so it no longer is a book in the casual reading sense of the word.

So what we have then is a sorta small tablet PC that does not do nearly what a tablet PC does. I think there is great danger in trying to make a reader that does so much that it is no longer really a reader. Doing one thing well is better than trying to do a lot lot of things and winding up doing many of them badly, which is what the design as we know it now seems to imply. I sure hope I am wrong.

Last edited by CCDMan; 11-17-2007 at 10:33 AM.
CCDMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 10:34 AM   #59
NatCh
Gizmologist

I believe last year's leaked manual specified a 6" display ....
Old 11-17-2007, 10:47 AM   #60
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCDMan View Post
Is there any actual size mentioned in any of the rumors?
This photo of the Kindle on Amazon's site suggests that it is quite large indeed. Okay, I'm going to stop it with this joke - I promise.

Last edited by vivaldirules; 11-17-2007 at 11:23 AM.
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote