Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 05-01-2013, 05:10 AM   #46
avantman42
Wizard
avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I don't agree. I think the mod simply enforced the posting guidelines. If he'd not replaced the image with a link to the original, then I'd say you had a stronger case.
avantman42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 08:11 AM   #47
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Thank you, avantman42.

What's being censored, Billi? The graphic was replaced with a link people could follow to view it, but were also warned that it was not safe for work. The graphic contained a word that most newspapers refuse to print, and is rarely heard from pulpits. I have no problem with that word, but many do, and people can and do get in trouble for having such graphics and/or language on their computer screens at the unfortunate moment when Emma Prude or Stanley Staunch walks by their workstation and complains to the higher-ups. Declaring that we are a Family-Friendly/Workplace-Safe website is a guarantee that when the wrong person walks past a computer connected to our website, no one will get in trouble for having things on the screen that could be considered offensive. Yes, it was a judgment call, and I take responsibility for it; but it's hardly censorship, nor was it done as a punitive measure. No one was threatened, no one was warned, and no one was punished. And those who still wish to view the artwork can follow the link I provided.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 11:11 AM   #48
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
Yes, it was a judgment call, and I take responsibility for it; but it's hardly censorship, nor was it done as a punitive measure. No one was threatened, no one was warned, and no one was punished. And those who still wish to view the artwork can follow the link I provided.
That was my problem and why I was speaking of censorship: no one of us behaved "wrongly", a moderator didn't interfere because of any "mistake" of a member here but because a piece of artwork that has been quoted contained a four-letter-word (in the background, it was not its message). But art should have every right, it may bring us joy, but it also should make us uncomfortable if necessary. Will you forbid the quote of some works by Goya or Picasso or someone similar too?

But, Tom, please blame part of my criticism on cultural differences. I really can't imagine such a scenario at work with Emma Prude and Stanley Staunch being possible over here, so I didn't think of this side of the story. Sorry and thanks for pointing this out.
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 12:44 PM   #49
morriss003
Evangelist
morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazella View Post
Agreed. I don't understand the inclusion of profanity in the image. It doesn't make sense to me and in my opinion not applicable to the general concept of the image. Perhaps I'm missing something?
I disagree. I never use the F word in my writing, but in this case it adds to the message.
morriss003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 01:46 AM   #50
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by avantman42 View Post
It appears that the original was by Anastasia Gorbunov, and the original text was "Reading isn’t dangerous. Not reading is.":
http://madartlab.com/2011/05/18/ai-w...in-it-for-you/
Thanks, Russell. I prefer the original.
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 04:04 AM   #51
Chi Cygni
秋子 permanently lurking
Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Pocketbook Era
[lurking mode off]

Well. If Emma Prude wanted to rat on me it wouldn't matter if the word was there or not. It would be the fact I am not working but surfing on internet at work (which I am right now, ho hum). Any reason would be good.

I tend to agree with Billy. May be because we're closer in space (Europe) for less cultural difference. No need to be holier than the Pope.

I was not offended. Every single day I pass by tram areas that look like this. And I was moved a bit seeing the poster because the little boy looks like mine. I so hope he will like to read one day. He's only 5 now.

[lurking mode on]
Chi Cygni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 07:40 AM   #52
5thWiggle
Benevolent Evil Lord
5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 8.0, Galaxy Note, iPad Mini, PocketEdge(retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi Cygni View Post

[snip]
And I was moved a bit seeing the poster because the little boy looks like mine. I so hope he will like to read one day. He's only 5 now.
Get 'em while they're young! ThingOne and ThingTwo love to read. We started teaching them to read early and it worked out well for us. A little too well, actually. I regularly have to confiscate books because they are reading them while using the toilet. It's not that I mind them reading while in the bathroom, it's just that they get so engrossed in the story they forget that others are dancing cross-legged just beyond the door. Luckily, they are still young enough that they don't die of mortification when Daddy comes barging in to grab the book(s) and oust them. When they get older, I'll have to teach the dog to "fetch"...
5thWiggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 07:59 AM   #53
Chi Cygni
秋子 permanently lurking
Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Pocketbook Era
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5thWiggle View Post
Get 'em while they're young! ThingOne and ThingTwo love to read. We started teaching them to read early and it worked out well for us. A little too well, actually. I regularly have to confiscate books because they are reading them while using the toilet. It's not that I mind them reading while in the bathroom, it's just that they get so engrossed in the story they forget that others are dancing cross-legged just beyond the door. Luckily, they are still young enough that they don't die of mortification when Daddy comes barging in to grab the book(s) and oust them. When they get older, I'll have to teach the dog to "fetch"...

Luckily we have two toilets (but no dog). So far what I have achieved is that he cannot imagine going to sleep without mama reading something first. And it has to be from 2 books. "Mum, will you read to me?" it's very sweet to hear.
Chi Cygni is offline   Reply With Quote