Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 06-15-2016, 12:52 PM   #1
encol
Evangelist
encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3 5.8.5.0.1
Customize title bar

Hello, there is any way to customize the title bar in recent firmwares?

I tried this but doesn't work
encol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 08:20 PM   #2
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Your link shows ixtab's older method:
PHP Code:
lipc-set-prop com.lab126.pillow configureChrome '{"appId":"com.lab126.booklet.home","titleBar":{"clientParams":{"secondary":"Hello World","useDefaultPrimary":false}}}' 
I recently tried the method in Branch Delay's jb, and it worked for me on newer firmware:
PHP Code:
lipc-set-prop com.lab126.pillow configureChrome "{\"titleBar\":{\"clientParams\":{\"secondary\":\"Hello World\",\"useDefaultPrimary\":false}}}" 
I see that Branch Delay escaped the inner quotes, rather than a mixture of single and double quotes, so he could pass in a parameter.

The important difference here is that he removed "appId:com.lab126.booklet.home" [does it really need those extra quotes?] from the older method.

Try it and report back.

Last edited by geekmaster; 06-15-2016 at 08:54 PM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-15-2016, 08:53 PM   #3
geekmaster
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I tried to test this on my PW2 using USBnet (because flaky touchscreen). On this computer I have Tobii eye tracker drivers installed for some of my eye tracker development. My eye tracker device is not plugged in. My PW3 is detected as a Tobii eye tracker "networking device" and the WRONG DRIVERS are loaded into win10!

I was able to configure an IP address anyway, even though it identified as a Tobii eye tracker instead of RNDIS. It must just be a customized RNDIS driver. I got in via ssh on my win10 bash shell.

The lipc command fails on my recent firmware too. It worked on 5.6.5. Here was the reported error:
PHP Code:
com.lab126.pillow failed to set value for property configureChrome (0x8 lipcErrNoSuchProperty
It seems that recent firmware no longer supports the "configureChrome" lipc property.

Last edited by geekmaster; 06-16-2016 at 12:17 AM.
Old 06-16-2016, 12:18 AM   #4
geekmaster

Looking for an alternate method. Perhaps they renamed something for obfuscation purposes...
Old 06-16-2016, 01:42 AM   #5
geekmaster

A clue:
PHP Code:
[root@kindle bin]# lipc-probe -a|grep -B3 configureChrome
com.lab126.chromebar
        w       Str     activityIndicator
        w       Str     searchResults
        w       Str     configureChrome
[root@kindle bin]
And with that clue, changing "pillow" to "chromebar" in both examples, they work!

Ixtab's method (updated):
PHP Code:
lipc-set-prop com.lab126.chromebar configureChrome '{"appId":"com.lab126.booklet.home","titleBar":{"clientParams":{"secondary":"Hello World","useDefaultPrimary":false}}}' 
Branch Delay's method (updated):
PHP Code:
lipc-set-prop com.lab126.chromebar configureChrome "{\"titleBar\":{\"clientParams\":{\"secondary\":\"Hello Again\",\"useDefaultPrimary\":false}}}" 
Executing those two examples in sequence will change the display title to "Hello World", then to "Hello Again". It worked on my PW2 with the latest firmware. My PW3 still needs a jailbreak, which needs a TTL serial adapter, and those are still in hiding...

Now please tell me my time and effort was worth some karma. I also discovered some REALLY interesting stuff that will allow me to display interactive custom "pillow" forms from simple scripts, with my own contents. I could implement something like KUAL with pretty much just a lipc command and a long string of custom parameters...

Last edited by geekmaster; 06-16-2016 at 02:02 AM.
Advert
Old 06-16-2016, 03:52 AM   #6
encol
Evangelist
encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for your reply!

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
PHP Code:
lipc-set-prop com.lab126.chromebar configureChrome '{"appId":"com.lab126.booklet.home","titleBar":{"clientParams":{"secondary":"Hello World","useDefaultPrimary":false}}}' 
this doesn't work for me (nothing happens), but:

Quote:
Branch Delay's method (updated):
PHP Code:
lipc-set-prop com.lab126.chromebar configureChrome "{\"titleBar\":{\"clientParams\":{\"secondary\":\"Hello Again\",\"useDefaultPrimary\":false}}}" 
this works!

Quote:
Now please tell me my time and effort was worth some karma.
huge karma for you

Quote:
I also discovered some REALLY interesting stuff that will allow me to display interactive custom "pillow" forms from simple scripts, with my own contents. I could implement something like KUAL with pretty much just a lipc command and a long string of custom parameters...
Very interesting... i'll wait for this!

Last edited by encol; 06-16-2016 at 04:05 AM.
Old 06-16-2016, 11:40 AM   #7
encol
Evangelist

any way to change/add icons in the titlebar?
Old 06-16-2016, 01:00 PM   #8
geekmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by encol View Post
any way to change/add icons in the titlebar?
Check out the battery pecentage icon change in the KUAL extension. Not sure if title can contain unicode/utf-8 "icon" characters -- worth a try (though it may vary with font, default language, or firmware version).

Last edited by geekmaster; 06-16-2016 at 01:03 PM.
Old 06-16-2016, 01:56 PM   #9
encol
Evangelist

Quote:
Check out the battery pecentage icon change in the KUAL extension. Not sure if title can contain unicode/utf-8 "icon" characters -- worth a try (though it may vary with font, default language, or firmware version).
in the script there is this check:
Code:
	# Broken on FW >= 5.5.x
	fw_is_supported="false"
	kpver="$(grep '^Kindle 5' ${ROOT}/etc/prettyversion.txt 2>&1)"
	khminver="$(echo ${kpver} | sed -n -r 's/^(Kindle)([[:blank:]]*)([[:digit:]]*)(\.)([[:digit:]]*)([[:digit:].]*)(.*?)$/\5/p')"
	if [ ${khminver} -lt 5 ] ; then
		fw_is_supported="true"
	fi

if [ "${fw_is_supported}" == "false" ] ; then
		eips_print_bottom_centered "unsupported on your FW version, aborting" 0
		exit 1
	fi
it seems that new fws are not supported
Old 06-16-2016, 02:08 PM   #10
geekmaster

Quote:
in the script there is this check:
Code:
	# Broken on FW >= 5.5.x
	fw_is_supported="false"
	kpver="$(grep '^Kindle 5' ${ROOT}/etc/prettyversion.txt 2>&1)"
	khminver="$(echo ${kpver} | sed -n -r 's/^(Kindle)([[:blank:]]*)([[:digit:]]*)(\.)([[:digit:]]*)([[:digit:].]*)(.*?)$/\5/p')"
	if [ ${khminver} -lt 5 ] ; then
		fw_is_supported="true"
	fi

if [ "${fw_is_supported}" == "false" ] ; then
		eips_print_bottom_centered "unsupported on your FW version, aborting" 0
		exit 1
	fi
it seems that new fws are not supported
I will be busy so I cannot check until later. You may want to do a search for the missing functions with "lipc-probe -a" like I did (as posted previously) to find whatever they renamed. I think "chromebar" makes more sense than "pillow", actually...
Old 06-17-2016, 01:41 AM   #11
geekmaster

I have been trying to figure out how to update icons on the titlebar, but in the meantime I simplified the command to update the title text. If you select the primary title, you do not need that last parameter that says to NOT use the primary title, like this:
PHP Code:
lipc-set-prop com.lab126.chromebar configureChrome '{"titleBar":{"clientParams":{"primary":"Hello \u2708"}}}' 
And as you can see, there is a UTF-8 airplane character in the title. Not the same as airplane mode, but there are lots of useful UTF-8 icon characters. That is a start...

Here are some more: http://csbruce.com/software/utf-8.html
Old 06-17-2016, 02:59 AM   #12
encol
Evangelist

Quote:
I have been trying to figure out how to update icons on the titlebar, but in the meantime I simplified the command to update the title text. If you select the primary title, you do not need that last parameter that says to NOT use the primary title, like this:
PHP Code:
lipc-set-prop com.lab126.chromebar configureChrome '{"titleBar":{"clientParams":{"primary":"Hello \u2708"}}}' 
And as you can see, there is a UTF-8 airplane character in the title. Not the same as airplane mode, but there are lots of useful UTF-8 icon characters. That is a start...

Here are some more: http://csbruce.com/software/utf-8.html
Thanks, this work fine!

I'm investigating about icons too, it seems we have to do some javascript, or edit the default_status_bar.html in the /usr/share/webkit-1.0/pillow folder

EDIT:

Quote:
PHP Code:

this doesn't work for me (nothing happens), but:
i was wrong, it worked, but i was in the wrong place (i was in the reader booklet): this method depends from the current booklet, my bad

Last edited by encol; 06-17-2016 at 03:04 AM.
Old 06-17-2016, 03:24 AM   #13
geekmaster

And of course, if you want to feed it a variable title like Branch Delay did, you can do it like this (also stuffed into a function like he used):
PHP Code:
title() {

VAL="{\"titleBar\":{\"clientParams\":{\"primary\":\"$@\"}}}"  

lipc-set-prop com.lab126.chromebar configureChrome "$VAL"
}

title Hello world!; sleep 3title "This;is;quoted." 
Much like 'echo', quotes are not needed except for some special chars like ';' or '$(', if we use the '$@' parameter instead of '$1'. But still safest to use quotes (and even then some things need a '\' to escape them);

I tried putting a Lenny Face ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) on the title bar, but it does not pack the combined characters together, so the face is broken. However, if you want to try it anyway, here:
PHP Code:
title "\u0028\u0020\u0361\u00B0\u0020\u0035C\u0296\u0020\u0361\u00B0\u0029" 
My PW2 required those extra zeroes (4-digit UTF-8).

Last edited by geekmaster; 06-17-2016 at 04:06 AM.
Old 06-17-2016, 04:30 AM   #14
geekmaster

Quote:
I'm investigating about icons too, it seems we have to do some javascript, or edit the default_status_bar.html in the /usr/share/webkit-1.0/pillow folder
Actually, it looks like default_status_bar.css is the key. It defines loads of PNG images for progress spinner, radio signal strength, airplane mode, battery, and more. It also defines absolute positions and sizes. If you model code on that you could probably change the URLs to http:// addresses instead of relative addresses to the assets folder (worth a try), and use any images of appropriate size, though this may be firewall limited in some cases. And "statusBarRightIconDock" is probably of interest. Some variant of the existing battery icon KUAL extension would be needed. This stuff is all new to me, so not obvious at all...

What I could do practically in my sleep is direct framebuffer manipulation. Monitor the selected portion of the screen and when it changes re-blit the title image (pre-rendered text and/or images). You may see a quick glitch when it redraws over whatever just changed (perhaps every minute when the time changes, if the entire title bar redrawn). Redrawing the entire title bar seems inefficient and unlikely though. And native mode title bar updates would inevitably need to deal with when the title bar is hidden or rotated, and such...

But at least interrogatePillow is in libpillow.so, so a native mode C program could link to that, and its embedded functions probably use similar symbols as their javascript counterparts. But I am losing interest. Javascript is not what I want to mess with at the moment.

I hope some of what I posted above might be useful to somebody -- I spent plenty of time looking for interesting stuff. But my attention on this is spent -- other things are calling for my attention.

Last edited by geekmaster; 06-17-2016 at 10:46 AM.
Old 06-17-2016, 06:34 AM   #15
encol
Evangelist

Quote:
I hope some of what I posted above might be useful to somebody -- I spent plenty of time looking for interesting stuff. But my attention on this is spent -- other things are calling for my attention.
What you posted is very interesting to me, i have to investigate a bit more