Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 04-15-2014, 04:08 PM   #1
johnbw
Agile eBooks
johnbw began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Question Support for O'Reilly HTMLBook conversions?

O'Reilly Media is developing a potential file format specification for authoring print and eBooks which looks like it could be an excellent starting point for high quality conversions to other formats. Is this something that make sense as a calibre supported format, and if so, is anyone working on this?

The spec can be seen at http://oreillymedia.github.io/HTMLBook/.

Thanks!
johnbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 09:53 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
It's just HTML with a bunch of extra, "semantic" attributes, and restrictions on what is allowed where. It will convert just as well as any other HTML file. From what I can see of it, it looks fairly pointless. Why didn't they just stick with some txt based markup? What's the point of using HTML and then restricting what you can do with it? Who is going to bother trying to remember the arbitrary set of restrictions they impose on their HTML? Did they not learn anything from the dozens of failed efforts to create "semantic" XML based markups.

Not to mention that there seems to be no data in that spec on how to organize resources like css and html files.

In any case, as I said, it will convert just as well as any other HTML file in calibre.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-18-2014, 12:46 PM   #3
johnbw
Agile eBooks

Thanks for taking a look at this Kovid and for your insights. I'm looking at it and calibre from the perspective of a publisher, tying to figure out the best initial file format to support high quality conversion to print and other eBook formats. This is part of O'Reilly's internal publishing system which they are looking to expose to third party publishers through their "Atlas" platform - https://atlas.oreilly.com/.
Old 04-18-2014, 12:49 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
You should be able to use it if you want to. As I said it should convert just as well any any HTML file, since as far as I could see after a quick browse of the spec, there is nothing that is actually incompatible with ordinary html in there.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 01:09 PM   #5
johnbw
Agile eBooks

Thanks again Kovid. I plan to follow up with O'Reilly regarding the missing pieces and I'll give it try.
Advert

Tags
conversion formats, htmlbook